Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Smugglers - The Galactic Underworld & Black Markets

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: (Release) Smugglers - The Galactic Underworld

Post by phkb »

Damocles Edge wrote:

Code: Select all

21:14:01.245 [shipData.merge.failed]: ***** ERROR: one or more shipdata.plist entries have like_ship references that cannot be resolved: GW-freighter, GW-tanker
This one is related to Resistance Commander.
Damocles Edge wrote:

21:14:01.440 [shipData.load.error]: ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "FuelC-cob3-alternate" specifies non-existent model "cobra3_redux1.dat".
This one is related to Fuel Collector.
Damocles Edge wrote:

21:14:01.531 [shipData.load.error]: ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "IR-GSE-ad" specifies non-existent model "IR-gse-ad.dat".
And this one is related to Iron Raven.

So, Smugglers is innocent in these cases!
phkb

Post by phkb »

OK, version 1.5.3 is now up which should fix those issues.
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

Excellent

Fettled :D
O.C.T.D (Oolite Crash Test Dummy) Hmm Hmm Hmm Hmm......
phkb

Post by phkb »

Version 1.5.4 has just been released. In this version:
  • Moving kg or g type commodities will now force the Manifest MFD to update.
  • Better integration with Escape Pod Tweaks. Scooped escape pods can no longer be transferred to the smuggling compartment.
  • Equipment.plist corrections.
  • Updates to readme.txt file.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Version 1.5.5 has been released. In this version:
  • List of illegal goods displayed on F7 system data screen will now be shown inflight, but without reasons (ie just a list of illegal goods).
  • Additional checking types added to ship condition checking routine.
  • Bug fixes.
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

I have noticed some unusual behaviour shortly after buying a smuggling hold for my cobra mk1 (I find it helps when mining gems and precious metals).
Whilst docked at a main station I decided to buy some phase scanner settings which were available at the black market option, there were 2 available, an anarchy TL1 and an anarchy TL3.
I bought both and then decided to change my smuggling compartment settings to anarchy TL1 (as luckily there was such a system on my next stop).
I went into the smuggling compartment settings and found only 1 set of settings :?
Strange I thought, I will head back to the black market options as I must have not purchased them, surely enough the settings were still show available for purchase, so I purchased them again and headed back to the smuggling settings to still find only 1 set of settings available.
It seems to take the credits but not follow through with adding the settings.
I have kept a backup of the save game position and logs if this is of any help, just let me know and I will upload them and send the links on.
On a side note I'm really enjoying ship configuration, loved the adder and also enjoying the cobra mk1, saving my credits for a python next :D

Cheers
phkb

Post by phkb »

Have you ever had one of those moments where you look at something you wrote and think, "What on Earth was I thinking?" This is one of those moments.

So, I found a piece of code in there, headed with a comment like this:

// look for and remove all TL1 phase settings 
If you're thinking, "Why did he include code to do that?" you're not alone. So am I.

Basically, what this piece of sheer coding brilliance is doing is very cleverly removing all your phase settings for TL1 systems. Straight away, no questions asked. No substitutions, exchanges or refunds.

Obviously, whatever my intent was for the original code, I don't think it could have been what the result was.

A patch will be released shortly. Obviously. And thanks for bringing this to my attention. Although it is a little embarrassing, truth be told!
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

Hehe - I like it - the antithesis to to the BOGOF (Buy One Get One Free).

Introducing the new an improved BOGN (Buy One Get None) :lol:

Thanks again for all your endeavours phkb.

On another note your post reminds me that I really need to contact Specsavers to book a sight check :lol:
phkb

Post by phkb »

OK, version 1.5.6 is now in the download manager, which should address the issue with disappearing phase scans.
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

phkb wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:09 pm
Damocles Edge wrote:
Something I have noted regarding items which perhaps should not be available at Galcop locations (Pirate ID Cleaner & Galcop Scanner)
Neither of which is actually part of Smugglers. They're actually in the UPS Courier OXP, and both items do have restrictions: they are only available in Anarchy systems, but as noted, from GalCop Stations. I think the logic is that GalCop have enough to worry about in Anarchy systems to be concerned with the sale of some, shall we say "irregular" items. I'd be hesitant to change the logic, though, as they are part of a mission set, and adding extra restrictions might make some missions in the pack unplayable.
Are these items of any general use to the player ? The description for Pirate ID Cleaner is vague -- "The ID cleaner temporarily clears your legal status on entering pirate systems. In other systems is [sic] does nothing. It is considered illegal by GalCop as it signals offensive intentions."

What is a "pirate system?"

The GalCop Scanner "tells how many police vessels are in the present system. This device is small but considered highly illegal by GalCop."

Under what circumstances/conditions does the illegality of these items manifest? Does it interact with the Bounty System OXP?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Bogatyr wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:49 pm
phkb wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:09 pm
Damocles Edge wrote:
Something I have noted regarding items which perhaps should not be available at Galcop locations (Pirate ID Cleaner & Galcop Scanner)
Neither of which is actually part of Smugglers. They're actually in the UPS Courier OXP, and both items do have restrictions: they are only available in Anarchy systems, but as noted, from GalCop Stations. I think the logic is that GalCop have enough to worry about in Anarchy systems to be concerned with the sale of some, shall we say "irregular" items. I'd be hesitant to change the logic, though, as they are part of a mission set, and adding extra restrictions might make some missions in the pack unplayable.
Are these items of any general use to the player ? The description for Pirate ID Cleaner is vague -- "The ID cleaner temporarily clears your legal status on entering pirate systems. In other systems is [sic] does nothing. It is considered illegal by GalCop as it signals offensive intentions."

What is a "pirate system?"

The GalCop Scanner "tells how many police vessels are in the present system. This device is small but considered highly illegal by GalCop."

Under what circumstances/conditions does the illegality of these items manifest? Does it interact with the Bounty System OXP?
This also crept up as an issue with Weapons Laws. I would rather have thought that buying such items either on the planet surface, or in rock hermits etc would make much more sense.

But then of course... what do we really know about these orbital stations? Reading the descriptions in Dark Wheel (chapter 6) of the Xezaor Coriolis (multi-governmental, TL11, human) indicates (to me) a healthy underworld where one could - for a price - buy forbidden equipment. It also indicates a station rather larger than just 1km across - unless we're using Commander James' kuː ʊms (https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 39#p273439)
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
szaumix
Deadly
Deadly

Post by szaumix »

Posting this here per request.

So I certainly oversold my pithy couple of tweaks to Smugglers. I've just got RH beacons at 87 (391 at RH) and Smuggling Compartment upgrades at a far more wallet-crunching 650 (2925 at RH). I'm a math guy and a formula was drawn up for this, which I no longer have.

Justification:
1. Beacons are forever, and knowing that a RH is over there by the sun represents a course change that the commander will likely take every time because snatching up the kgs of cheap goods is (a) guaranteed to fit in his ship and (b) guaranteed quick and extra profit, every time. Therefore buying a beacon takes away all future need to explore for that system's Hermit forever, so average profit was taken into account. I wanted it profitable as of the first return trip, and since I personally like exploring (and incentives to explore), I like the idea that you sometimes buy the beacon and the RH was along the main spacelane anyway -- d'oh!
2. I was making an absolute sultan's fortune on any system that outlawed smaller commodities (kgs or g). Not to mention, there is no reason not to go around in circles buying and selling again and again and again and again until the ban is lifted. Eventually I had to just honor code my way out of that behavior but the cost to profit ratio of smuggling was highlighted, and my reprice of the upgrade had to take in an irritatingly inconsistent mean of average G, KG and T profits.
3. I have a little sticky note full of Oolite To-Do's, with two points on this.
(a) I've got to implement a 10% price variation, which I'm too lazy to have done yet, but that's just because blackmarkets generally work as a chinese negotiation (Least I'll go is 100! 75? 90! Sold!) as a guy that has been to asian blackmarkets. Criminals just want the product off the shelf for a profit and I like random variation in dockables. This was more an Anarchies (Salvage Gang) idea because I like the idea that sometimes the cost of a thing makes you go, "hmmm... not right now. I'll wait until the price is better." -- which relates back to this because, again, I like having to explore around.
(b) Second point is to make GalCop raids on GalCop blackmarkets more frequent, because the idea of a "blackmarket" functioning in a space warehouse/copshop with any police-evading longevity is ridiculous to me.

EDIT: no, those RH multiple values aren't right (I checked) and they didn't seem right when I wrote them. Oh well, base values correct.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

phkb wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:30 am
version 2.1.1 is now in the download manager

- and needs the new Market Script Interface oxp & the new Black Market oxp to run
Thy eminence - tried Smugglers v.2.1.1 out with New Cargoes (and Market Script Interface & Black Market).

Due to proclaimed conflict with New Cargoes, it would not load.

Is it just a matter of my editing the manifest.plist? Or is there still work you need to do?
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:24 pm
Due to proclaimed conflict with New Cargoes, it would not load.
That's because the version of New Cargoes it is compatible with (version 2.0) I haven't officially released yet!

Oh, spoiler alert. I've got an updated version of New Cargoes.

Once I've finished messing around with (spoiler alert 2) Cataclysm, I plan on getting New Cargoes out into the wild.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

I notice that the Black Market OXP wiki page directs one here for the relevant thread.

1) Might it make sense to retitle this thread? (possibly done via editing the subject title in the very first post in the thread)

2) Problem:

Running with your new OXP suite and bouncing between Lasazo & Zaenza in NW G5. My F7 screen now adds in that I have a waypoint to one rock hermit in Zaenza and seemingly to two in Lasazo. But, using Telescope and flicking through the ASC options I find none in Zaenza and just the one in Lasazo. I do find a number of vacant rock hermits in each, but presume that these are irrelevant.

Interestingly enough the Lasazo F7 entry looks like this:
This world is a tedious place.
Zaenza orbits Emissarium Secretum (Class G6V Star) - forgive LittleBear his sense of humour
You have visited this planet before.
You have a waypoint to a Rock Hermit in this system.
Tax level: 10% Treasury 714M₢
You have a waypoint to a Rock Hermit in this system.
Illegal import -- Slaves, Narcotics: By GalCop ordinances.
Note the doubled You have a waypoint to a Rock Hermit in this system. and the interspersement by the Diplomancy tax details.

PS thank you for updating Cataclysm!

I hope to try it out eventually, but am currently busy with RL™, DGill & Switeck doing other gubbins...
Comments wanted: