Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Smugglers - The Galactic Underworld & Black Markets

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: (Release) Smugglers - The Galactic Underworld

Post by Damocles Edge »

I have found that on a number of occasions recently that the oxp has been putting the cart before the horse with regard to slaves which I have recovered from slave runners.
Upon docking I have been informed that the slaves (which I had intended to release ) had been detected (along with my smuggling hold) and that both infractions were resulting in a fine and criminal status for each offence. Also that the offending items - slaves and smuggling hold would be removed (seems odd that the smuggling hold was found as the slaves were not in it and I was also using the correct frequency to mask the smuggling hold).
The only option out of this was to bribe my way out - which in each occasion - i paid out 10k to be on the safe side - on a related note i know that the economy of the planet plays a role in setting bribe amounts but surely the bribe amount should not surpass the value of the smuggled goods in question - otherwise what is the point in being a smuggler if it is not financially viable ?

After I had paid the bribe (in order to save my criminal record) I was only then then given the option of releasing them from slavery which my good deed earned me 200 cr (ignoring the 10k my good deed had just cost).

I must confess that unless I have space in my hold I would normally jettison slaves using the Bulk Cargo Processor - what prevents me from doing this is that I don't think it is possible to separate slaves from escape pods (which I then collect the bounty / rescue for) or am I missing a trick here?
O.C.T.D (Oolite Crash Test Dummy) Hmm Hmm Hmm Hmm......
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

That’s really odd - I am trying to make sure IGT runs before Smugglers when docking, but I’ve obviously missed some scenario somewhere. I’ll investigate and report back.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Well, I don't know what I was looking at when I added the linkages to the Escape Pod Tweaks OXP, but I obviously wasn't looking too hard at my code! Wow. So broken...

Anyway, version 1.5.1 is now up, which should fix this problem.

With regard to the bribe, you shouldn't have needed a 10k bribe. For a standard smuggling operation, the most I would expect you'd need to offer is about 2k, and as low as 100 (possibly even lower in some cases). If I get some time, I'll run some numbers and let you know the precise range.
phkb

Post by phkb »

OK, I ran some numbers - the most you should ever have to pay for a standard smuggling-type bribe (if you're bribing this official for the first time) is 1k. This value could be a lot lower, as little and 10 or 20 credits, so you can try for a lower amount if you dare. However, the bribe amount will go up the more you try to bribe the same official (there was some discussion about having this go the opposite way, and become cheaper over time, but for the moment all officials will try to gouge you the more you bribe them).

(Note: bribing an official as part of a sting operation has a completely different scale!)

I might think about some way of making this variable (ie whether bribes will become cheaper or more expensive the more you bribe), but I'll need to work out a way of communicating this information in a suitably subtle way.
BlackWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by BlackWolf »

Following this. Interested in installing this in future.
Right now I'm still getting my grips on the game in general.
Creativity is a gift, use it well.
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

Something I have noted regarding items which perhaps should not be available at Galcop locations (Pirate ID Cleaner & Galcop Scanner)

This screen was taken at a superhub (I have since removed superhubs as I suspect that they may have been contributing to traffic build ups (rather than alleviating them) even with ILS running (trying to ILS dock with superhub kept defaulting to a ship docking with adjacent space station).
phkb

Post by phkb »

Damocles Edge wrote:
Something I have noted regarding items which perhaps should not be available at Galcop locations (Pirate ID Cleaner & Galcop Scanner)
Neither of which is actually part of Smugglers. They're actually in the UPS Courier OXP, and both items do have restrictions: they are only available in Anarchy systems, but as noted, from GalCop Stations. I think the logic is that GalCop have enough to worry about in Anarchy systems to be concerned with the sale of some, shall we say "irregular" items. I'd be hesitant to change the logic, though, as they are part of a mission set, and adding extra restrictions might make some missions in the pack unplayable.
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

Ahh

Thank you for correcting my ignorance in this matter.

I was assuming that they were part of smugglers - sorry.
Well there I go proving the old saying when I assme i make an ass of me :lol:
phkb

Post by phkb »

Damocles Edge wrote:
Thank you for correcting my ignorance in this matter.

I was assuming that they were part of smugglers - sorry.
Don't worry about it. There are a lot of expansion packs, and keeping track of which piece of kit is from what pack is hard. The only wrong question is the one that isn't asked!
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

I have recently been chopping and changing ships (I am reluctant to get my dream ship - Dark Rainbow as I fear it will kill a lot of the challenge).
Anyhow I have noted that whilst I had the Python Clipper and currently the standard Python that I am unable to cycle to "Smuggling Compartment Storage" primable equipment. I was able to cycle to and use "Smuggling Compartment Storage" primable equipment with Python ET (which was downloaded from Classic Super-Pythons OXP).
I haven't checked this with Python Cruiser Class 2.6 (which is my next ship of choice), I just wondered if anyone else has experienced anything similar?

Please note that after my previous faux pas, I have taken the liberty of advance ordering a large order of Apple Hoagies :wink: as I prepare myself for the fact that this is probably down to something that I have either inadvertently done or neglected to read :oops:

Thanks for your patience (and for humouring me).
phkb

Post by phkb »

Damocles Edge wrote:
whilst I had the Python Clipper and currently the standard Python that I am unable to cycle to "Smuggling Compartment Storage" primable equipment.
This is odd, because there's nothing in the code that would limit the use of the inflight equipment by ship type. I'm adding the equipment at two points: when you purchase the smuggling compartment, and at start up (to handle the case where your save game was at a point in time prior to the introduction of the primable equipment).

On reflection, though, I can see an edge case where there might be a problem. It takes up 1t of cargo space, so if your cargo hold was full when you purchased the smuggling compartment, it may not have been able to add the equipment. And if your cargo hold is still full when you reload a save file, it still may not get added.

Can I get you to do a test? Can you first check if you're cargo hold is full, and if so, sell 1t of anything, save the game and reload it. Then see if the equipment has been added.

In the meantime, I'll work on fixing the issue (probably by making sure there's always 1t of space before added, or removing the 1t cargo space restriction altogether).
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

I can confirm that the cargo hold is not full, which would rule out that scenario.
I will pm you with a link to my save game file and also the latest and previous log files, maybe this will help an educated eye such as yours in this area.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Thanks, got it, and found the problem. I might need a couple of those Apple Hoagies though... :oops:

Looks like my copy/paste mojo failed me, and I'd left a Naval Energy Unit requirement for the primable equipment in the equipment definition. New version on the way. Thanks for the report!
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

Just noticed something in my previous log.
No idea whether it is of any relevance.

" ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Python Class Cruiser 2.6.oxp
21:14:00.037 [shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
21:14:01.245 [shipData.merge.failed]: ***** ERROR: one or more shipdata.plist entries have like_ship references that cannot be resolved: GW-freighter, GW-tanker
21:14:01.440 [shipData.load.error]: ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "FuelC-cob3-alternate" specifies non-existent model "cobra3_redux1.dat".
21:14:01.531 [shipData.load.error]: ***** ERROR: the shipdata.plist entry "IR-GSE-ad" specifies non-existent model "IR-gse-ad.dat".
21:14:05.784 [script.javascript.init]: JavaScript reset successful.
21:14:19.371 [exit.context]: Exiting: Exit Game selected on start screen.
21:14:19.371 [gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.

Closing log at 2018-05-17 21:14:19 +0100."

This error does not however show in latest log :?
Damocles Edge
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Damocles Edge »

Glad that you have found the problem... :D

and relieved that for once it wasn't down to me :shock:

I always keep some apple hoagies on stock - can never have enuff :lol: