Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Minor enhancements

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

RightOnCommander
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Minor enhancements

Post by RightOnCommander »

How about (for a price) displaying the percentage damage of the target ship, when you have the advanced targetting add-on? I notice the ship entity already has a "damage" field that is calculated based on current energy / maximum. Knowing how close an enemy vessel is to destruction would really help with the "fight or flight" decisions.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

I've been asked a few times for an onscreen damage indicator or energy bar for the targetted ship. While I can understand the appeal, I don't really like the idea — it makes it too much like an arcade game for my tastes.

Instead I opted for a more realistic approach:

Carefully observe the exhaust plume of the antagonist. Flicker in the flames indicate a degree of damage; plasma fires burning off indicate the ship is badly damaged; escape pods being ejected mean critical damage to the lifesupport.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
RightOnCommander
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Good point - I have indeed noticed those.

I guess the only time this doesn't work is with things like Thargoids, which don't seem to have a visible exhaust.
Lyx
Harmless
Harmless

Post by Lyx »

Since even advanced equipment couldn't *exactly* determine how damaged another ship is, how about going the RPG-way: no numbers, no bars, but words.... i.e. you could have 4 words describe the status of the other ship: okay(75-100%), damaged(50-75%), heavily damaged(25-50%), nearly breaking appart(0-25%). Optionally replace the stupid "okay" with something better sounding :)
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Xelite has a targeting computer (for only 900Cr) which shows:-

Ship type
Shields
Velocity
Missiles
Distance
Laser power

The shield % indicates how much damage you have inflicted.

The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
RightOnCommander
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

This looks like a great version too - where can I get it? The first hit in Google seems to be down.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

I thought xElite had been taken down by the Breadbin?
gus3
Average
Average

Post by gus3 »

I believe it's no longer available on the web, but even the breadbin can't go back in time and erase it from people's hard-drives. Sadly I never downloaded it as my browser objected strongly to the execrable website it was hosted on
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

It's the dogs bollocks, (pm me if you are interested.....)

I think Oolite will eventually be better with all the addons, extra missions etc, I'm just waiting for a beta version and an idiots guide to load it.

I used to play the original Amstrad version, then TNK. What I like about Xelite in particular (apart from the graphics) is the spec of the Cougar ship, it enables a different type of gameplay with its speed and manouverability, and fuel capacity - 14 light years !!!

TGHC
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
mocbo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by mocbo »

oops wrong thread i have moved the reply

Greetings

Moc