Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Crash - Oolite 1.74.2

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Crash - Oolite 1.74.2

Post by mcarans »

I tried to put "Closed" in my previous topic by editing the subject, but I can't.

I wanted to differentiate between my suggestion that it might be SR2 or Orbits and what I think might be the case now, that my crash is in Oolite itself.

Can anyone replicate the problem? Try doing the following:
1. Go to maximum time acceleration (Pause -> Right Arrow 4 times)
2. Alternate between pausing and resuming several times particularly with lots of ships on the radar

BTW, a separate feature is that I noticed that pirates or indeed thargoids have trouble shooting you with missiles or lasers when you have accelerated time (just like with Frontier First Encounters as I recall). I had a thargoid warship follow my unarmed Porcupine all the way back to the station from the system entry point.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Re: Crash - Oolite 1.74.2

Post by Getafix »

mcarans wrote:
I tried to put "Closed" in my previous topic by editing the subject, but I can't.
"[Solved]" is more up to the point for browser search.

An admin/mod will soon take care of that. Are you referring to this topic?
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

Getafix wrote:
An admin/mod will soon take care of that. Are you referring to this topic?
No, but that one can be set to solved. I meant this one: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=8278

I had "blamed" Orbit 1.2.1 or System Redux 2, but I don't think it's them any more, so the problem is not solved, but the topic title is now inaccurate.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Then "Closed" should be it! (Yoda's syntax :))
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

@mcarans

I was having sudden, random freezes and crashes with 1.74.x, while using the speech symph. When I installed BGS, I turned the speech symph off (BGS ship sounds and speech symph sounded awful together) and all the crashing and freezing packed up and went away.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Have you got a crash log to send to the developers as per the instructions, or simply post it here? I am sure it would help.
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

The crash log is in this thread that I wanted to set to closed: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=8278

It doesn't look like it contains anything useful for debugging. Is there a way to increase the log level?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

You can enable additional log messages by editing Oolite.app/[Contents if Mac OS X]/Resources/logcontrol.plist (or copying it to your AddOns folder), and enable all possible log messages by setting _override = yes. Unfortunately, most crash conditions don’t result in anything useful being logged since they are, by definition, unanticipated.
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

Another 2 more crashes :cry:

Didn't increase log level but I do see GLSL errors. Could these cause a crash?

Code: Select all

[log.header]: Opening log for Oolite version 1.74.2 (x86-32 test release) under Linux at 2010-07-30 17:31:27 +0000.
4 processors detected.
Oolite options: procedural planet textures, docking clearance, wormhole scanner, target incoming missiles, spoken messages, JavaScript console support, OXP verifier, localization tools, debug GraphViz support.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

[joystickHandler.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 1
[display.mode.list.native]: X11 native resolution detected: 1920 x 1080
[System Redux 2]: Galaxy ID is: 0.  System ID is: 82
[bigShips_populator]: 1 big trader(s) added to the Ensoreus system.
  [shader.compile.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL fragment shader compilation failed for yah_griff_station_pacman_adring.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:
Fragment shader failed to compile with the following errors:
ERROR: 1:37: error(#202) No matching overloaded function found texture2D
ERROR: 1:37: error(#160) Cannot convert from 'const float' to 'highp 4-component vector of float'
ERROR: error(#273) 2 compilation errors.  No code generated

[shader.load.fullModeFailed]: ----- WARNING: Could not build shader yah_griff_station_pacman_adring.vertex/yah_griff_station_pacman_adring.fragment in full complexity mode, trying simple mode.
  [shader.compile.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL fragment shader compilation failed for yah_griff_station_pacman_adring.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:
Fragment shader failed to compile with the following errors:
ERROR: 1:37: error(#202) No matching overloaded function found texture2D
ERROR: 1:37: error(#160) Cannot convert from 'const float' to 'highp 4-component vector of float'
ERROR: error(#273) 2 compilation errors.  No code generated

[shader.load.failed]: ***** ERROR: Could not build shader yah_griff_station_pacman_adring.vertex/yah_griff_station_pacman_adring.fragment.
[files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "yah_set_E_ad_large_2frames.png".
[script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefinedError]: ----- JavaScript warning (Famous Planets 2 Launch Script 2.0.2): Planet.setTexture() is deprecated, use planet.texture = "foo" instead.
[System Redux 2]: Galaxy ID is: 0.  System ID is: 154
[bigShips_populator]: 0 big trader(s) added to the Isinor system.
[script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefinedError]: ----- JavaScript warning (Famous Planets 2 Launch Script 2.0.2): Planet.setTexture() is deprecated, use planet.texture = "foo" instead.
[System Redux 2]: Galaxy ID is: 0.  System ID is: 82
[bigShips_populator]: 2 big trader(s) added to the Ensoreus system.
[files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "yah_set_B_ad_small_2frames.png".
[/size]
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

mcarans wrote:
Didn't increase log level but I do see GLSL errors. Could these cause a crash?
Highly unlikely. Once the shaders fail to build, they no longer exist, so they shouldn’t affect the game.
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

I'm inclined to think now that it is an Ubuntu Lucid kernel problem as I have read about freezes on Google and had one with similar symptoms when I was not playing Oolite.
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

I had another crash - I ad full logging on. The last few liens of the huge log are below. Are they any help?

Code: Select all

[mesh.load.cached]: Retrieved mesh "missile.dat" from cache.
[dataCache.retrieve.success]: Retrieved "synthesized shader materials" cache object ds-alt-missile/missile-neolite-default.png.
[shader.uniform.set]: Set up uniform <OOShaderUniform 0x8cc9e040>{16: int uDiffuseMap = 0;}
[shader.uniform.set]: Set up uniform <OOShaderUniform 0x9d320ca8>{14: float uHullHeatLevel = [<ShipEntity 0xa51228b0> hullHeatLevel];}
[shader.uniform.set]: Set up uniform <OOShaderUniform 0xac5aa1c8>{15: float uTime = [<ShipEntity 0xa51228b0> timeElapsedSinceSpawn];}
[dataCache.retrieve.success]: Retrieved "octrees" cache object missile.dat.
[dataCache.retrieve.success]: Retrieved "AIs" cache object missileAI.plist.
[dataCache.retrieve.success]: Retrieved "resolved paths" cache object Scripts/oolite-default-ship-script.js.
[dataCache.retrieve.success]: Retrieved "compiled JavaScript scripts" cache object /usr/lib/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Scripts/oolite-default-ship-script.js.
[script.javaScript.load.success]: Loaded JavaScript OXP: oolite-default-ship-script 1.74.2 -- Standard script for ships.
[dataCache.retrieve.success]: Retrieved "OOMesh" cache object missile.dat:0.
[mesh.load.cached]: Retrieved mesh "missile.dat" from cache.
[shader.uniform.set]: Set up uniform <OOShaderUniform 0x8d8340d8>{0: vec4 SpecularRGB = (0, 0.2, 0.2);}
[shader.uniform.unSet]: Did not set uniform "uColourMap"
[shader.uniform.set]: Set up uniform <OOShaderUniform 0x9d366360>{12: float uEngineLevel = [<ShipEntity 0xa514e938> speedFactor];}
[shader.uniform.set]: Set up uniform <OOShaderUniform 0x8fd3c828>{14: int uFXMap = 1;}
[shader.uniform.bind.failed]: Could not bind uniform "uHullHeatLevel" to -[ShipEntity hullHeatLevel] (no uniform of that name could be found).
[shader.uniform.unSet]: Did not set uniform "uHullHeatLevel"
[shader.uniform.set]: Set up uniform <OOShaderUniform 0xa9fdfa00>{15: int uNormalMap = 2;}
[shader.uniform.bind.failed]: Could not bind uniform "uTime" to -[ShipEntity universalTime] (no uniform of that name could be found).
[shader.uniform.unSet]: Did not set uniform "uTime"
[dataCache.retrieve.success]: Retrieved "octrees" cache object missile.dat.
[dataCache.retrieve.success]: Retrieved "AIs" cache object missileAI.plist.
[dataCache.retrieve.success]: Retrieved "resolved paths" cache object Scripts/oolite-default-ship-script.js.
[dataCache.retrieve.success]: Retrieved "compiled JavaScript scripts" cache object /usr/lib/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources/Scripts/oolite-default-ship-script.js.
[script.javaScript.load.success]: Loaded JavaScript OXP: oolite-default-ship-script 1.74.2 -- Standard script for ships.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Question to the developers: Does no actual crash log exist in Windows, apart from the normal game log?
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Nope. :(
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Depends - There's options for logging to the Application Log, creating a Dr. Watson dump, and a few other things.