Turning off space dust

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

FlyingDeath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Turning off space dust

Post by FlyingDeath »

Im sure this question has been asked countless times, but there's like a zillion threads to look through so...

How do I turn off the space dust? I think it's not really needed, all that matters in space is your speed with respect to other things(though oospace works a little differently I know) and it's just way more atmospheric without space dust. As a side issue there should be a thread search bar(if it already exits, sorry, guess im a noob, please tell me where it is.)

And I would like to add on an unrealated note that using the soma fm drone zone radio whilst playing oolite is way cool(obviously turn off ingame music if you try this.)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Don't think you can. Space dust is useful as you can see how fast you are moving.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
FlyingDeath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by FlyingDeath »

Oh well. I know space dust is a good indicator of speed, which is why i dont't want it. I prefer the feeling of disorientation that not knowing your speed gives. Also no space dust would make distant action clearer and more exieting to watch.

If there really is no way to turn off space dust with an oxp or something, then maybe the option could be added in future releases?
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

If I remember to, I'll see if there's an easy way to enable space dust transparency settings! Wouldn't hold my breath though.. RL seems to stand for RelentLess atm...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Turning off space dust

Post by Diziet Sma »

FlyingDeath wrote:
As a side issue there should be a thread search bar(if it already exits, sorry, guess im a noob, please tell me where it is.)
The built-in Forum search (look up at the top of the page) is, unfortunately, pretty hopeless. See this thread for a browser search plugin that lets you use Google or Yahoo to search the Oolite BB.

And welcome to "the friendliest board this side of Riedquat!" :D
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Kaks wrote:
If I remember to, I'll see if there's an easy way to enable space dust transparency settings! Wouldn't hold my breath though.. RL seems to stand for RelentLess atm...
I noticed that Ahruman gave dust its own shader since yesterday. Maybe an oxp can in future overwrite this shader with a custom one and make it less/more visible ?
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Eric Walch wrote:
Kaks wrote:
I noticed that Ahruman gave dust its own shader since yesterday. Maybe an oxp can in future overwrite this shader with a custom one and make it less/more visible ?
Cor, perhaps we could have the streaky rainbow effect (ala Star Trek at warp) when the Torus drive is on...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Yeah! that would be way cool! :D
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Steve
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Steve »

Funny. There are posts on Frontier Developments' forum on how to switch space dust back on in FFE D3D :)
FrontierAstro - dedicated to Elite, Frontier and Astronomy
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Dust can be toggled using the debug console:

Code: Select all

console.debugFlags ^= 0x400 // 1.73
console.debugFlags ^= console.DEBUG_NO_DUST // trunk
This will not be exposed as a user feature, but I expect to make the dust more subtle before MNSR.

Customizing the dust shader is currently a very bad idea, because its workload is likely to change.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Ahruman wrote:

Customizing the dust shader is currently a very bad idea, because its workload is likely to change.
Like Ghostbusters "crossing the streams" type bad? :wink:
Selezen wrote:
FlyingDeath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by FlyingDeath »

Cheers for the replies. Ill try the console thingy amd see how it looks. Im sure ill be back to annoy you some more with questions. :D
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Like Ghostbusters "crossing the streams" type bad? :wink:
Yep, like Ghostbusters "crossing the streams" type bad! :D

Or at least 'will have to be redone all over again once that part of the code is ready for (M)NSR'!
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Steve, are you the Steve who made the amazing viper model & texture on the frontier forums? it is a really amazing bit of artwork, if anybody here hasn't seen it pop along to http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1399
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Griff wrote:
Steve, are you the Steve who made the amazing viper model & texture on the frontier forums? it is a really amazing bit of artwork, if anybody here hasn't seen it pop along to http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1399
Very sweet indeed - 7,500 polys... hmmm....
Selezen wrote: