Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Pythons and their variants

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Pythons and their variants

Post by JazHaz »

I currently fly a standard Python, but have recently realised that I cannot fit Military Shields to it.

Therefore thinking about upgrading to either a Python Class Cruiser or a Python ET Special.

According to the Wiki (see links above), the ET Special can use both shield boosters and military shields, and the Class Cruiser military shields but not shield boosters (but has the best cargo capacity).

Because of the cargo capacity was thinking more about the Class Cruiser than the ET Special.

The wiki here states that military shields can only be fitted IF the ship has shield boosters already. But the wiki says that the Class Cruiser can't have shield boosters....?

Now I am confused! (not hard lol)

Can anyone help?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Need to replace the standard Python because its quite slow compared to the other ships.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

While I don't know the answers to your questions, having never flown either ship, there's a reasonably quick and easy way to test this:

Just fly to the nearest Friendly Neighbourhood High Tech planet, buy any old ship you see (to clear out your equipment locker), save the game, then edit the savegame to give you first one, then the other of the two ships. Add a chunk of credits while you're at it, and then start buying equipment. You'll soon enough discover what's not buyable.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

CheeseRedux wrote:
edit the savegame to give you first one, then the other of the two ships. Add a chunk of credits while you're at it, and then start buying equipment. You'll soon enough discover what's not buyable.
Could do that, it's true, but would prefer not to cheat! :wink:
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

JazHaz wrote:
...would prefer not to cheat! :wink:
As long as you do this with a savegame you have no intention of keeping, I would classify it as research. YMMV.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

My regular python has the shield booster and the military shield booster.
The military shield booster is very hard to find early in the game, until you've done some military missions (experienced people will tell you exactly which one).
I got mine from a salvage squad asteroid, and was very pleased to find it's been 100% reliable, so much so that somewhere along the line, the "salvaged" tag disappeared from it. :D :D

And yes, it's slow, and only has 2 pylons, which often means only 1 missile, because if you intend fighting with a python, you end up keeping a fuel tank on one of the pylons. Fuel injectors = win :)
Commander Monty, a Python Class Cruiser driver :D
Iron assed bulk haulers for the win!

Of the two trumbles which escaped today from Lave station, only 473 have been located....
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

G'day JazHazm

May be I can give a wee insight to this.
(MY opinion only.)
The PCC is way better, though it says no shield boosters, the military ones are full on. I use the pcc for cargo stuff as it is a fighter too.
Not too heavy but with heaps of cargo and fight in it.
Others will disagree; And prefer the boa.. which is like trying to drive a london double decker bus around old one lane city streets at 70mph. Easier to ram the attacker than try to shoot them.

That said, every one likes their own ship, so the thing is, is to try a lot of them and dicide what you like to fly. Remember, the ship you fly and the oxpers you load don't alway match.
Noo that's what makes Oolite the best.
Easy or as hard as you wish.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

Hrm, maybe something has messed with my save?
The equipment list on my Python (regular, not cruiser or ET) is:
Large cargo bay, ECM, scoops, e-bomb, escape pod, energy unit, docking computers, fuel injectorsm scanner enhancement, multi target system with memory expansion, advanced compass, advanced nav array, shield boosters, military shield enhanced, heat shields, wormhole scanner, bounty scanner, chaff dispenser, ore processor, planetary info system, fore/aft military lasers, stbd mining laser and port beam laser..

Is this somehow wrong? It's a non-hacked save, I picked up the shift in Zaonce, traded it for my starting cobra 3, which had about the same level of equipment.

Of the two trumbles which escaped today from Lave station, only 473 have been located....
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

The standard Python can be equipped with military shield boosters.
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

CptnEcho wrote:
Not according to the wiki, and even though I've been to TL14 planets I can't buy them.

Maybe the only way to get them is to buy the ship with them already installed, or do a mission that awards them?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

Maybe the salvage gangs don't check that it's allowed?

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

CptnEcho wrote:
It can't. :!:

From the standard ships only the Asp, Moray, Cobra Mark III, Fer-de-Lance and the Boa Class Cruiser can be equipped with the Military Shield Enhancement
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

Now this is odd.. how come I could buy a military shield enhancer from the salvage asteroid and fit it? Maybe an OXP has messed with the ship's stats somewhere...

JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

allikat wrote:
Now this is odd.. how come I could buy a military shield enhancer from the salvage asteroid and fit it? Maybe an OXP has messed with the ship's stats somewhere...
You said it...! :wink: It's Anarchies.oxp that allows it.... Although editting your save has the same effect... :wink:
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

This explains much. So the only way to fit it, is with Anarchies (who never take account of rules anyway :D ) and to hope and pray that salvaged one works, and you haven't blown a stack of cash on a junker.
Kind of a pot luck solution to getting it.