Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

are the SysRedux bachgrounds random?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

are the SysRedux bachgrounds random?

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

when System Redux is in the AddOns folder, the galactic background looks different

will it look the same on everyone's screen, or is it randomly generated when I load it? i.e. would the sky always look the same at each planet regardless of who was using the OXP?

any comments appreciated

cheers :)
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

System Redux 1 alters the universal appearance of the galaxy. It does so because it contains the following options in the planetinfo.plist:

Code: Select all

"universal" = {
		"sky_blur_alpha" = "0.25";
		"sky_blur_cluster_chance" = "0.10";
		"ambient_level" = "1.25";
		"sky_blur_scale" = "25";
      		"sky_n_stars" = "3000";
      		"sky_n_blurs" = "1000";
	};
You can learn what each of these does in the planetinfo.plist Wiki Entry. The Ambient Level change makes a big difference especially. I play with Ambient at 0.25 or lower...
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

thank-you

I'd read the wiki entry, but have now tried varying the bits you mentioned, specifically, with interesting results.

It clearly could not be assumed that the background against which any new object might be viewed would be "this" or "that" and so my query has been answered.

:idea:
treczoks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by treczoks »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
System Redux 1 alters the universal appearance of the galaxy. It does so because it contains the following options in the planetinfo.plist:
Thank you for pointing this out, so I could eradicate it.
As nice as System Redux is - it makes the ooniverse look as if a fleet of Behemoths containing a monster cargo for an interior decoration shop suddenly blew up. :lol:

As Enya sung: "Paint the Sky with Stars". But don't overdo it.

Yours, Christian
[It/we/I] [awoke]. [Identity]:[Undetermined], [Location]:[Undetermined], [Objective]:[Destroy]. [Priorize([Determination]:[Identity])]:[High]. [Execute].
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

all replies appreciated, thank you all very much :)
however a question still presents itself and that is: If I am at (eg Timabi g4) and can see a purple blob (eg directly behind me when i am looking at the sun), will everyone else see the same purple blob in the same place - assuming that the parameters mentioned earlier..
Cmd. Cheyd wrote:

Code: Select all

"universal" = { 
      "sky_blur_alpha" = "0.25"; 
      "sky_blur_cluster_chance" = "0.10"; 
      "ambient_level" = "1.25"; 
      "sky_blur_scale" = "25"; 
            "sky_n_stars" = "3000"; 
            "sky_n_blurs" = "1000"; 
   };
..were unchanged by the player?

And similarly, if system redux was not installed, and directly behind me when looking at the Timabi's sun there was a green splotch. would everyone see the same green splotch in the same place, or would their game have generated different blobs & splotches at startup? (I notice that once generated, they sky remains the same whenever I visit Timabi - or wherever.)

• There is a reason for my question. When placing small dark objects at distant co-ordinates, I want them to be invisible - at first. I want them to become visible soon after jumping towards them.
• If I put a purple-ish small dark object against a purple blob it will look different compared to its appearance against the green splotch (assuming that the player hasn't altered the "universal" = settings, or the settings for a particular planet's sky etc. etc.)
• Can I assume that all skies will look the same in vanilla Oolite - or look the same in everyone's System Redux, if the code for the sky has not been altered?
• Or will every commander's vanilla sky look different?

(This question does not arise in the case of bright small distant objects (which are visible))

I know that OXP's often alter the sky, too. It doesn't bother me what the altered skies might look like. But adjusting my small objects to be initially invisible is rather time consuming and if it is only going to work on my computer there's not much point.

NOTE: THE EXPRESSIONS "BLOB" AND "SPLOTCH" ARE SHORTHAND EXPRESSIONS SIGNIFYING THE CONCEPTS "EXQUISITELY WROUGHT STAR CLUSTER" AND "MAGNIFICENT NEBULA" RESPECTIVELY
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Zbond-Zbond wrote:
If I am at (eg Timabi g4) and can see a purple blob (eg directly behind me when i am looking at the sun), will everyone else see the same purple blob in the same place
Yes, ish. This has changed at least twice during the test release series; I think we’ve made an effort to keep it stable now, but I’m not entirely certain of that.
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

:D great! - I will continue matching low albedo objects..