Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

How do I turn off the MASC"M?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander Learner
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Commander Learner »

1. The title says it all. Once I hacked and installed the MASC'M, my energy banks started going down. I knew why but I just didn't know how to turn it off! Please enlighten me on this.

2. I finished the Constrictor Hunt, now what's next. I have 503 kills and nothing is happening besides an "I-News Flash". How is the Thargoid Plans mission triggered?

3. The Constrictor fight was down-right disappointing. Expected a brilliant one-on-one dogfight....turned out that he was sleeping in the cockpit.....vaporized him in one continuous shot. High hopes for the next mission!

Regards,
Commander L.
Shooting polygons since 2001
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Details on the missions – built-in and OXP – are on the wiki, here. For the Thargoid Plans you need to be in Galaxy 3 with 1281+ kills ...
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

The MASCM is not an officially supported piece of kit. It might be working and then again who knows. You are responsible for any side effects arising from hacking it in.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Also the MASCM should not drain energy, right?
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

wackyman465 wrote:
Also the MASCM should not drain energy, right?
First, the MASCM has been used by RS/OSE for some time now and there has not been a single report of it not doing what it is supposed to do - so it seems it is working - and no, it shouldn't drain energy as far as I know.

Or is that a new feature of the trunk? I doubt it, but who knows ...
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Are you mixing up the MASC'M and the cloak?

The MASC'M doesn't drain anything, it's the cloak that does. For that just press 0 again to turn it off.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Thargoid wrote:
The MASC'M doesn't drain anything, it's the cloak that does. For that just press 0 again to turn it off.
It does and always has! According to the code:

Code: Select all

energy -= delta_t * MILITARY_JAMMER_ENERGY_RATE
It is just not as much as the cloak. And you can't shut the jammer off. But because its energy consumption is less than the recharge rate of a normal energy unit you won't see energy going down, it just increases lest fast.

I can imagine on a less powered ship that is also recharging its shields, the energy in the banks is dropping for a while until shields are full again.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I sit corrected! Can't say I've ever noticed it doing so on any ship I've played with that had one on, but obviously my ships have always had a recharge rate higher than the drain rate...
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Besides how useful is the MASC'M anyway?

The MASC blocks your ship from showing up on scanners and the MASC'M blocks the MASC, right?
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

From the player viewpoint the MASC'M stops NPC ships firing missiles at you (they can't get a missile lock as you don't appear on their scanners). And as a result it also prevents Thargoid warships launching Thargons, as they're treated as missiles by the game.

The military scanner filter works against the MASC'M, any NPC ships that have one appear (iirc) as little grey hockey-sticks on your scanner rather than not at all.

There is no MASC, only the MASC'M (military anti-scanner countermeasure) and the military scanner filter, which is the countermeasure for the MASC'M.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: How do I turn off the MASC"M?

Post by Commander McLane »

Commander Learner wrote:
Don't get one. It isn't supported by Oolite. Only by Total Conversions.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Id go further and point at a_c comment above, the MASCM is not supported at all. Anything which enabled fitting it could be regarded as a bug.

The reason there is no way to control it, is that it is not a piece of finished kit, its just a few lines of code that are half implemented. It may not work, it may be removed, changed or added in the future.

Overall its not a good idea to use it.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Cmdr James wrote:
Id go further and point at a_c comment above, the MASCM is not supported at all. Anything which enabled fitting it could be regarded as a bug.
Cmdr James wrote:
... it may be removed, changed or added in the future.
Why the hell would anyone do that with an unsupported, but fully functional piece of equipment except to torture me who actually uses it in an oxp that many people like?

Sorry ... not having a good day over here. (Edit: Which has nothing to do with Cmdr James, btw, before anyone gets that idea :P )

L
Last edited by Lestradae on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

ahh I forgot it was called military scanner filter not MASC...
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

From the player viewpoint the MASC'M stops NPC ships firing missiles at you (they can't get a missile lock as you don't appear on their scanners). And as a result it also prevents Thargoid warships launching Thargons, as they're treated as missiles by the game.
I think ill avoid getting one of these it must make the game kinda boring to play :?
STE.+ Firefly/Dragonfly + BlackJacksbullion v.1.23 link below.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ca16 ... f6e8ebb871