MilHUD v3 final

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

MilHUD v3 final

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

MilHUD v3
By: Wyvern
===========

The purpose behind MilHUD is, and has always been, to maximize the functionality of Oolite's visual
interface. The eyecandy gets kept to a minimum, but if I went for eyecandy, at some point functionality
starts to be lost. So I stuck to the KISS rule and made a HUD that's all business.
This is the Military Specification HUD. MilHUD, for short. This version uses features introduced with
Oolite 1.73, but should be backwards compatible with 1.72.

Features:
- Target sensetivity built-in as default. That's the litle feature that makes the STE box turn red when
on target.
- Clustered compass and three-axis turn co-ordinator. Yaw indicator above the compass, roll below, pitch
to the side.
- Cloak sensetive status light. Status light takes on an odd, subtle glow when the cloak is running.
- "Smoked Glass" underlays for radar, compass, and dials. Improves their visability dramatically.
- NEW: Customizable sniping pipper. Comprised of four graphic elements - a cross, a peepsighting box,
a boresighting dot, and a subtle contrast booster. Lasers overheat. Military lasers overheat fast.
And the standard sight is poorly designed. Fire that misses can be costly to you.
Combat has a simple formula: Be lethal or be dead!
This sniping pipper is designed to let you get the most out of your weapons by helping to improve your
fire accuracy. Each element can be tweaked or disabled to your liking in the plist.

MilHUD v3 on a Neolite Cobra 3. The light grey bar at the bottom is the Cobby's nose section and not part of the HUD.

Get it here.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

*bump*
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Looks nice, boss. I'm going to have to give it a try.. I'm still using the default.
Jagen Ordo
Competent
Competent

Post by Jagen Ordo »

Finally, a HUD that helps me finding the target!
Hello. We come in peace, shoot to kill, shoot to kill, shoot to kill;
we come in peace, shoot to kill, shoot to kill, men.
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: MilHUD v3 final

Post by Simon B »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
MilHUD v3 on a Neolite Cobra 3. The light grey bar at the bottom is the Cobby's nose section and not part of the HUD.
Which I have finally been pursuaded to nix. Move the cobbie fwd viewpoint forward by a couple of meters.

I don't know the fight controls for yaw - but this plist should make a good template. Basis for military craft in upcoming neolite-navy.

I'd want a bigger patch of dark for the iff, since ship-dots can leave the oval section top and bottom. But I like what you've done with the energy bars.

I am curious about the target reticule - won't the green one in oolite look odd over your red or did I miss something?
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
"Everything is perfect down to every last flaw..."
HBT: The Book of Verse - Principia Discordia
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: MilHUD v3 final

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Simon B wrote:
I don't know the fight controls for yaw - but this plist should make a good template. Basis for military craft in upcoming neolite-navy.
I use an x52 joystick, and set up axis to be Y = pitch, X = Yaw, and Twist = Roll, and can pull some amazing break maneuvers with that.
I think on the keyboard, Yaw is the "<" and ">" keys.
I'd want a bigger patch of dark for the iff, since ship-dots can leave the oval section top and bottom. But I like what you've done with the energy bars.
The size of the underlay for the radar hasn't caused a problem for me so far. I've had no trouble seeing blips on it.
I am curious about the target reticule - won't the green one in oolite look odd over your red or did I miss something?
You missed something.
A new HUD feature in trunk is the ability to change the color of the native laser sights. I used red as it's turned out to be the most visible HUD color.
Your mileage may vary, of course.

On the record, the four elements of MilHUD's sniper sight can be tweaked individually via their <alpha> keys.
Off the record, mine is tweaked with the cross element turned off (alpha of 0.0), leaving the box and dot visible in the center of Oolite's native sight.
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

I added an entry to the master OXP list on the Wiki, hope you don't mind. Would you mind if I also added a page summarising the discussion on this thread? Just for the publicity... your name in lights!

We haven't fixed the image problem on the Wiki yet have we? So can't include a screenshot...

I assume this is some relation to MilSpec v2... is it a very distant relation, was that also yours, etc...
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

zevans wrote:
I added an entry to the master OXP list on the Wiki, hope you don't mind. Would you mind if I also added a page summarising the discussion on this thread? Just for the publicity... your name in lights!
Awesome. :) Go ahead with that summary if you wish, I don't mind.
We haven't fixed the image problem on the Wiki yet have we? So can't include a screenshot...
It's still borked? That's a surprise to me. I thought Winston fixed it not too long ago.
I assume this is some relation to MilSpec v2... is it a very distant relation, was that also yours, etc...
You assume correctly. It is, indeed, a major update to use features in trunk and 1.73 - and as far as I'm aware, the first HUD to use 1.73 features.

The ability to use multiple, separate image elements that can be individually tweaked is certainly a plus.

While you're at it, the Kirin class of ships can use a wiki entry.
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

Awesome. :) Go ahead with that summary if you wish, I don't mind.
Done. I learned a lot about wikis since that's the first time I've done a page from scratch. I made some word salad from your original words! Please have a look at the Wiki.

I also added a category and a template for HUD OXPs.
It's still borked? That's a surprise to me. I thought Winston fixed it not too long ago.
I'll have another look then. If it is fixed can I suggest we downsample all the screenshots down to 640x480, since the page is a bit of a monster now?
While you're at it, the Kirin class of ships can use a wiki entry.
I noticed that :-)
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

zevans wrote:
I'll have another look then. If it is fixed can I suggest we downsample all the screenshots down to 640x480, since the page is a bit of a monster now?
Ok, sounds like a plan. The screenshot is a massive 1024x768 png, so it should shrink without looking too bad.
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

zevans wrote:
Uploading works again, but pics are often not taken by the WIKI converter. I've tried to update a few files and it's currently not working well. pmed Winston, but the message hasn't left my Outbox for some days now.