Nova mission bugs with the trunk version

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Nova mission bugs with the trunk version

Post by Screet »

Hi,

I just did edit my last message to the nova thread in the discussion forum, but I guess it does belong here.

The nova mission contains a few bugs:

1) the planet info text displays the current system name instead of the one which went nova
2) after flying back to the nova system, it contains a sun, but no planet. I thought the sun should have gone
3) trying the planet info when the player is back in the nova system causes oolite to close (probably while trying to display the destroyed planets image?) - log and stderr do not contain any info

EDIT: Random Hits bug: After entering the system which went nova, there's still a space bar active!
EDIT2: After a short while the main part of the space bar is destroyed by heat, but some parts of it remain and the docking computer still does get docking instructions. However, when the DC should dock after the main bodys destruction, oolite does close itself without any hints in the log or stderr. Docking before the main body blows up is perfectly possible, and one can get new contracts ;)

Screet
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

2) after flying back to the nova system, it contains a sun, but no planet. I thought the sun should have gone
This is intentional. By definition is a Nova a star that has increased in size because of internal activity. During that process it destroys close by planets. And that is exactly what here is happening. The suns size increases and planet is destroyed. Also it adds no main station nor rock hermits. Any station present is an oxp bug that forgot to test against nova systems before adding stations. The populator does not add ships in such a system and the mission sends all ships added by oxp away through wormholes. Stations are not send away, but they probably just overheat.

Remains anything of scanclass rock. Rock never heat up, so script added rock-stations, like rockhermits probably survive. In ups I always check for a supernova system. But I noticed I forgot it in the pirateCove update. (added it now for a next release)
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Eric Walch wrote:
The populator does not add ships in such a system and the mission sends all ships added by oxp away through wormholes. Stations are not send away, but they probably just overheat.

Remains anything of scanclass rock. Rock never heat up, so script added rock-stations, like rockhermits probably survive. In ups I always check for a supernova system. But I noticed I forgot it in the pirateCove update. (added it now for a next release)
Hmmm. Everytime there was a BIG fleet of the navy with exceptionally many Cobras flying towards the sun, jumping out after a while.

The rocks around the space bar did explode by heat damage, though, and I've seen a BIG asteroid beginning to glow until it went away.

Screet
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

1) is fixed on SVN2194.
3) seems to have an easy fix, but it also seems that there are other problems related to displaying planetinfo for irregular situations like witchspace and novabombed systems. This will require further investigation.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Update on 3): Looks like the bugs have been squashed in SVN 2195 regarding crashes when viewing the F7 screen in a nova system. It would be great if there could be some testing by others to confirm the fix. While being at it, I thought I should add user modifiable description strings for the various information text fields in the F7 screen. So, when viewing the description of a system gone nova, this is what one can see:

Image or, if you feel like it: Image
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

another_commander wrote:
Update on 3): Looks like the bugs have been squashed in SVN 2195 regarding crashes when viewing the F7 screen in a nova system. It would be great if there could be some testing by others to confirm the fix. While being at it, I thought I should add user modifiable description strings for the various information text fields in the F7 screen. So, when viewing the description of a system gone nova, this is what one can see:
I just recompiled with the new files and replaced my old exe...thus I've got simple "nova-syste-economy" strings and such, but there's no more crash :D

I really have the impression that the trunk version is at a stage where it could replace 1.72.2 in general...

Screet