Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Galactic Navy OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Galactic Navy OXP

Post by Nemoricus »

This is a great OXP and an excellent addition to Oolite, but the OXP itself has not been updated in some time.

Does anyone know what's being done with it now?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

You could always PM matt634 and ask him.. last known sighting of him here was only 3 weeks ago, so there's a good chance he'd reply..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Galactic Navy OXP

Post by Screet »

Nemoricus wrote:
This is a great OXP and an excellent addition to Oolite, but the OXP itself has not been updated in some time.

Does anyone know what's being done with it now?
Around last christmas he said that he's updating the oxp...but then he vanished for a looong time, but as Diziet Sma already wrote, he's been back recently.

I'd be glad if there were a larger version of GN coming...I really love that oxp!

Screet
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

I've already PMed him, but it's been about a week and I haven't heard back from matt yet.

I hope he does make a comeback. There's a lot that I'd love to see done with the Galactic Navy.
Capt. Slog
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Capt. Slog »

There is a discussion going on Galactic NavySpec ops... This is possibly the sighting of matt364 referred to. Be warned that it contains (ROT13 mostly) information about the mission.
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

I've been going through Galactic Navy's code, and I found that it adds headhunters to certain systems while the Admiral mission is active. However, these are clean ships that appear to be added with no rhyme or reason.

Does anyone know what these are all about?
Dream as if you'll live forever
Live as if you'll die tomorrow
Capt. Slog
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Capt. Slog »

Nemoricus wrote:
I've been going through Galactic Navy's code, and I found that it adds headhunters to certain systems while the Admiral mission is active. However, these are clean ships that appear to be added with no rhyme or reason.

Does anyone know what these are all about?
I think they're just to hinder your progress. They're Kurtz henchmen and he controls this part of the galaxy, so, officially they're clean.
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

That's just annoying then. There's no in-game explanation for their existence and I don't like that.

Adding one would enhance immersion and make the mission more interesting.

Thoughts?
Dream as if you'll live forever
Live as if you'll die tomorrow
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Nemoricus wrote:
That's just annoying then. There's no in-game explanation for their existence and I don't like that.

Thoughts?
Like the idea. Some newsflash or people tell rumours to the player while he visits a bar maybe?

I'm not sure, but are those headhunters the slave ships I saw occasionally, where the people then could sell the hunter as slave later on? If not, I'm afraid I don't even know them, or they simply did not manage to register in my memory.

Screet
Capt. Slog
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Capt. Slog »

Nemoricus wrote:

Thoughts?
Fine, I'd almost forgotten these because I spent so much time hunting Kurtz. Messages at stations or radio messages when you encounter them?