Question about Target Reticle & Autolock oxp vs. core

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Question about Target Reticle & Autolock oxp vs. core

Post by Lestradae »

Question to the devs presumably:

Are one or both functions of the oxps Target Reticle & Target Autolock which are contained in those oxps for 1.72.2 going to be included into the core game from 1.73 onwards or are there plans to include them or are they staying oxps?

Thanks in advance @answers,

L
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Is there any real reason to?

Target Reticle if I remember correctly can be added easily with a single entry into a universal key in a planetinfo.plist, and target autolock is essentially about 8 lines of JS (and half of those are brackets).

In both cases most of the OXP size is actually making the piece of equipment in-game to purchase the things, and to set it up so said equipment is just a modification and doesn't appear on the F5 screen list.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Just asking.

I was pondering the idea of Combat Computers, which would produce the functionality of those two oxps and perhaps Screet's automatic ECM, too.

Good idea? Bad idea? Any opinions?

Brainstorming L
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Thargoid wrote:
Target Reticle if I remember correctly can be added easily with a single entry into a universal key in a planetinfo.plist, and target autolock is essentially about 8 lines of JS (and half of those are brackets).
Thargoid is correct (except that it is hud.plist, not planetinfo). The two OXPs are just utilizing existing code functionality and there are no plans to change in any way their implementation for 1.73.

The idea about combat computers sounds interesting. Now this is an OXP I would like seeing.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Could somebody point me in the direction of the correct OXPs to obtain these very useful pieces of equipment (not that my pacifist pilot needs a red reticle unless its for his tail gun as he's running away and firing "discouraging" shots.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Target reticle sensitive thread - by Eric.

Target autolock thread - by me. Available from my box.net area or through the wiki page below.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

another_commander wrote:
Thargoid is correct (except that it is hud.plist, not planetinfo). The two OXPs are just utilizing existing code functionality and there are no plans to change in any way their implementation for 1.73.

The idea about combat computers sounds interesting. Now this is an OXP I would like seeing.
Then I'll cobble something together.

OK, functionalities Combat Computers could have so far are Target Reticle, Target Autolock and Auto-ECM reaction.

Any further ideas what could go into this? Say now, then I put it in if I can do it (more like, hack it together :wink: )

I will do this as both a stand-alone little oxp and put it into OSE WiP as well - not everyone will want to have to have OSE to get this one.

Out with the brainstorms! 8)
MKG
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by MKG »

Well, if you're going for auto-ECM, there are bigger attacks to worry about too. How about a SERIOUS warning for a Quirium detonation?

Mike

PS On the other hand, how far can you take a combat computer before you've effectively turned your ship into the ubership of all time?
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

MKG wrote:
How about a SERIOUS warning for a Quirium detonation?
Good idea. Don't know if this is technically oxp-able, though? Anyone out there who knows?

Would have put the Combat Computers at 3.000 Cr (150% of Docking Computers) and TL 13 (4 higher than DCs, as this is a bit more fiddly).

Does that sound balanced?
MKG wrote:
On the other hand, how far can you take a combat computer before you've effectively turned your ship into the ubership of all time?
Not too far - it shouldn't have many more features than the three already sure to be in I guess.