Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Competent within 20 minutes

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

overmage
Deadly
Deadly

Competent within 20 minutes

Post by overmage »

Milkruns to earn a witchspace fuel injector and Q mine, jump to Tionisla, inject-launch a mine towards the Orbital Graveyard at high speed then turn tail and inject the hell out of there :twisted:

seriously though, should destroying the graveyard ships count as ship kills? they can't even shoot back... :cry:

P.S. Yeah I did try it... Rebecca's post prompted me to :P
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Competent within 20 minutes

Post by ClymAngus »

overmage wrote:
Milkruns to earn a witchspace fuel injector and Q mine, jump to Tionisla, inject-launch a mine towards the Orbital Graveyard at high speed then turn tail and inject the hell out of there :twisted:

seriously though, should destroying the graveyard ships count as ship kills? they can't even shoot back... :cry:

And how deeply into fugitive does this bury you perchance?
harry747
Deadly
Deadly

Post by harry747 »

how can i find this graveyard? is it in an OXP?
MacBook pro, OSX 10.8.5, Xcode 5
Solas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Solas »

Last edited by Solas on Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
overmage
Deadly
Deadly

Post by overmage »

Not at all. I only went to Offender! :O :O :O
Rebecca
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Competent within 20 minutes

Post by Rebecca »

overmage wrote:

That's right - blame me!!! :wink:

B
Becca the Hermit Slayer, and part-time unpredictable avatar assassin.
Captain Sumo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Captain Sumo »

Those milkruns must take up a bit of time. Would it not be quicker to downgrade your ship to the cheapest old crate available at Zaonce, fit your injectors and qmine to that, and then pop over to Tionisla. I reckon you could reach competent in about 5 or 6 minutes like that!
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

It would appear that blowing up cadavars is the lastest craze sweeping the galaxy;

"Hey dude! I've got a grave yard and half a pound of semtex! Lets go corpse blasting!"
Rebecca
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rebecca »

ClymAngus wrote:
It would appear that blowing up cadavars is the lastest craze sweeping the galaxy;

"Hey dude! I've got a grave yard and half a pound of semtex! Lets go corpse blasting!"
shouldn't there really be some kind of qbomb jammer to stop that sort of thing happening? madam deville was able to obliterate all sorts of stuff and escape without difficulty!!! -allegedly. 8)

B
Becca the Hermit Slayer, and part-time unpredictable avatar assassin.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Rebecca wrote:
shouldn't there really be some kind of qbomb jammer to stop that sort of thing happening? madam deville was able to obliterate all sorts of stuff and escape without difficulty!!! -allegedly. 8)
Some oxps come with minesweepers - those usually are able to shoot down any cascade thingy before it can detonate! Maybe those should be added to the graveyard so that the player would have to destroy the minesweepers first ;)

Screet
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Screet wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
Some oxps come with minesweepers - those usually are able to shoot down any cascade thingy before it can detonate! Maybe those should be added to the graveyard so that the player would have to destroy the minesweepers first ;)

Screet
Now that's a good idea!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
ovvldc
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ovvldc »

Screet wrote:
That would be interesting, because I heard the TGY has quite some police flying around. Such a configuration would make it a matter clearing enough satellites quickly before the police come and make your life very busy.

IIRC, Selezen was already considering to add the minesweepers, because everybody and his uncle has blown up the graveyard by now..

-Oz
overmage
Deadly
Deadly

Post by overmage »

nods, nods and nods to minesweepers :D :D :D
Captain Sumo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Captain Sumo »

I tested this for myself, and I went from 'Harmless Jameson' to 'Competent' with 412 kills in 5m: 47s.

I did it like this:
Answer 'No' to 'Load New Commander'. Press 'Space' and then 'f0'.
Set Hyperspace target to Zaonce while clearing the space station. Then Hyperspace there.
Avoid the spacelane in the standard manner. The docking procedure could best be described with adjectives such as terrifying, 'white knuckle' and reckless.
Press f3 and downgrade to a 'Drake I'. Fit it with aforementioned Injectors and Quirium mine.
Instantly head of to Tionisla and launch mine at the graveyard.

I could of done it in less time, but for some indecisiveness at the Zaonce shipyard, and a convoy of police ships at Tionisla.

How about a new challenge. I'm wondering if it's possible to reach 'Dangerous' and dispatch the Constrictor in about 35 - 40 minutes. If you bought the right ship at Zaonce, there should be enough change for a Galactic Hyperdrive, a Military laser and Docking Computers. Then there would be a race across Galaxy 2 to reach the correct locations, and of course, you would be facing the Constrictor in a hopelessly outclassed ship, but then again, the Constrictor didn't put up much of a battle last time I met it!

I might try it at some point!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I can see it happening very soon: Speed Run Oolite: Elite rank in 8 hours.