Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Realistic Shipyards problem

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Lysander
Competent
Competent

Realistic Shipyards problem

Post by Lysander »

Hi all you experts

Having loaded Realistic Shipyards OXP into my Add Ons, it lookred terrific (the shipyard itself is a great graphic), but sadly my whole system turned jeky with very poor control. :(I presume this means my hardware is not up to the additional load with a paltry 256k RAM and 2 GB ROM so is it simply that I need to boost either of these, or could it be something else? I speak as a complete nerd on the software hardware side and just enjoy Oolite as a great new game.

Thanks for any advice

Lysander
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: Realistic Shipyards problem

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Lysander wrote:
Hi all you experts

Having loaded Realistic Shipyards OXP into my Add Ons, it lookred terrific (the shipyard itself is a great graphic), but sadly my whole system turned jeky with very poor control. :(I presume this means my hardware is not up to the additional load with a paltry 256k RAM and 2 GB ROM so is it simply that I need to boost either of these, or could it be something else? I speak as a complete nerd on the software hardware side and just enjoy Oolite as a great new game.

Thanks for any advice

Lysander
What are you running on? You can't really have 256K of RAM - even 256MiB of RAM seems a little low - 512MiB seems to be the minimum (on a PC) for even the vanilla version of Oolite.

If you give the spec of your machine I'm sure you'll get all the advice you can handle! :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Sounds like a netbook to me. I think mine has something silly like 256Meg and 2GB of "hard drive"
Lysander
Competent
Competent

Post by Lysander »

Cmdr James wrote:
Sounds like a netbook to me. I think mine has something silly like 256Meg and 2GB of "hard drive"
Hi yes you are quite right 256Mb RAM with 40gb memory, running Windows XP home edition on windows on a standard Dell laptop. The Hard drive is currently about 25% full> probanble solution is to upgrade the ram

Apologies also about 'jery' should have read 'jerky' basically, instead of a smooth flow on any action, I get a series of still freezed frames at a rate of about 6 / second.

Lysander
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Well, Lestradae himself recommends at least 2GiB ram to run RS on, and running it on a graphic card with less than 128MiB is something I personally wouldn't like to do either... As said elsewhere, some of the stations can be pretty hard on any system...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hi Lysander,

I'm very sorry, but below at least 1GB (1000 MB) of RAM according to the experiences with RS I have been feedbacked by players you have as good as no chance of playing with a decent FPS :(

So there are only two options available there: Either, upgrade your computer to 1GB+ of RAM, or leave RS out and choose from the singular ship oxps those you like the most.

Hope that helps

L
Lysander
Competent
Competent

RAM Size for realistic Shipyards

Post by Lysander »

Hi Lestradae (and others)

You are absolutely right, best plan at this point is to pick out the OXPs I really want and wait until I upgrade my PC next time around to something with a decent kick at 1gb +

As a returned entrant to gaming after many years away, it is staggering how far things have developed. Bear in mind you are talking to someone who started on Spectrums and graduated to Amiga 500 (Model T Fords in your parlance!)

But a huge compliment to what all you guys have done to tweak up the original Elite into Oolite and the fantastic OXP add ons. Realistic Shipyarfds looks to be something fantastic to add in due course.

Regards

Lysander
govert
Competent
Competent

Post by govert »

Is it possible to extract just the ship pricing model out of RS, and use only that?
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

govert wrote:
Is it possible to extract just the ship pricing model out of RS, and use only that?
I think you than have version 1.0 of RS. At least that is all my 1.0 version of RS does.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

@govert:
govert wrote:
There is a very dirty hacking way of doing this, I'll be getting it from Ahruman for all the error messages that is going to create in the log ...

You have been warned. You could delete everything of RS except the shipyard.plist in RS's Config folder. Then install all the singular ship oxps you really want to have.

This will overwrite only the pricing/TL stuff, but with any other effects of RS gone.

I was already thinking of, when OSE comes out, to perhaps offer tomorrow's equivalent of what was RS 1.0 again. A purely repricing oxp, but without any of the additional RS/OSE features. (OSE = the next version of RS, effectively RS 4.0)

@Eric & co.:

Perhaps one of the experienced scripters can answer this: Would it be possible to just rename the remaining shipyard.plist from the above dirty hack suggestion into shipyard-override.plist to get around a flood of error messages in the log?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: ...

Post by JensAyton »

Lestradae wrote:
There is a very dirty hacking way of doing this, I'll be getting it from Ahruman for all the error messages that is going to create in the log ...
Um? Oolite 1.72 introduced shipyard_overrides.plist for exactly this purpose.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ...

Post by Lestradae »

Ahruman wrote:
Lestradae wrote:
Um? Oolite 1.72 introduced shipyard_overrides.plist for exactly this purpose.
Which is why I am asking if it is possible to just rename the remaining shipyard.plist from the above dirty hack suggestion into shipyard_overrides.plist and put that in as an oxp?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Oh yes, so you did. Um.

The correct way to use shipyard_overrides.plist is to include only price information. That said, using entire definitions should work, with the side effect of overriding any other conflicting information.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

@Ahruman:

Thanks. I can imagine it can get a tad frustrating to have to tell people some things over and over again :oops:

@govert:

Do as I stated above then (keep only the RS/Config/shipyard.plist) but rename the shipyard.plist into shipyard_overrides.plist. That way, no flood of error messages, you get the RS pricing/TL change but nothing else. Remember that you will have to install the singular ship oxps instead of RS in addition, then!

Good n8 anyone

L
govert
Competent
Competent

Post by govert »

thx guys!
I'll report back once I have this tested, which may take some time :)