Highdetail models?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

burzum
Harmless
Harmless

Highdetail models?

Post by burzum »

I've just found Oolite today and it's amazing!

Id like to support this project with some content.

Is there a need of highpoly models? Do you want them? Can the engine handle them? Where are the limits? Are the graphical improvements of the engine planed? Shaders for example?

--

I've started with the Cobra MKI. I haven't added all stuff i think i could add. But thats your part: How are the gunmounts supposed to look?

An ugly preview rendering showing the engines, loadingbay on top, Frontwindow:
Just 328 polygons so far.

Please make some suggestions to improve this model, i'll do it if they are good and start texturing it when the model itself is finished.
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

The highest polygon count is 500. Some people say try and keep it below 250. I used to try and keep it as close to 100 as I could (but that was before I had my funky new duel xeon processors! :wink: )

You can add even more polygons though by adding sub-entities which are dead easy to do, I'll upload my Dark Wheel Cobra III to Oosat again so you can take a look at the code.

In the mean time have a look at theis thread for a bit more info: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=1983
johnsmith
Deadly
Deadly

Post by johnsmith »

Welcome aboard. I came across this on the https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=2182 Pimp my Cobra post, which answers your question.

Code: Select all

#define MAX_VERTICES_PER_ENTITY   320 
#define MAX_FACES_PER_ENTITY   512 
#define MAX_TEXTURES_PER_ENTITY   8
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

Oh and the size of the textures are recommended at 512x512 but there is no limit hard coded into the engine. I've put textures of 1024x1024 on my own models and they run fine, but anything I've uploaded I've kept to 512x512.

Nice model by the way. I think the original Elite ships do need a bit of a make over. It'd be nice to collect all the ships in one oxp to just replace the originals.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

ramon wrote:
It'd be nice to collect all the ships in one oxp to just replace the originals.
Drools at the thought

Your ships are excellent, and I like the way your DW cobra gives off explosion flares when you laser it, at first you think it's died, but the blighter seems to have 9 lives.

Is this because you use subentities a lot? if it is they should be encouraged
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

Yes, I gave it a lot of subentities for exactly the effect you're describing. I like the idea of actually causing physical damage rather than just shield damage and then an explosion.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

ramon wrote:
Oh and the size of the textures are recommended at 512x512 but there is no limit hard coded into the engine. I've put textures of 1024x1024 on my own models and they run fine, but anything I've uploaded I've kept to 512x512.
However, be advised that the game does not scale down textures to fit within hardware constraints. If you go above 1024x1024, textures will fail to load on older graphics cards. The game may be played on cards with lower limits.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Being cheeky would it be possible to put the high res ones on Oosat2 as well (eventually).
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Davemak
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Davemak »

would it be possible to have a high res version of the game - appropriately labeled etc so that people running low(er) spec machines can make an informed choice?
Nuke 'em 'til they glow; then shoot 'em in the dark!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Davemak wrote:
would it be possible to have a high res version of the game - appropriately labeled etc so that people running low(er) spec machines can make an informed choice?
An OXP seems an ideal way of doing this.
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

TGHC wrote:
Being cheeky would it be possible to put the high res ones on Oosat2 as well (eventually).
By your command.

Uploaded today, so expect to see the HiRes version on Oosat in a couple of days.

By the way burzum, how are you getting on with the Cobra Mk I? Is there a release date planned for it yet?