Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Enable Oolite development (2)

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Enable Oolite development (2)

Post by phkb »

Here's a log file. Seems to have a few juicy errors in it. OoliteStarter.log
phkb

Post by phkb »

hiran wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:53 am
May I ask you to install some old stable version of OoliteStarter, then try to upgrade to a newer stable version? If that works, the issue may be the numbering scheme required on Windows.
I uninstalled everything, then installed v 0.1.20. Then when I tried to install v 0.1.21-elul.5, it did upgrade itself successfully.

So, I think your theory about the numbering scheme is correct. Windows is doing something different with it to how Linux deals with it. I note that in the Control Panel, OoliteStarter v0.1.21-elul.5 is marked as "v0.1.21.0"
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

phkb wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:17 am
hiran wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:53 am
May I ask you to install some old stable version of OoliteStarter, then try to upgrade to a newer stable version? If that works, the issue may be the numbering scheme required on Windows.
I uninstalled everything, then installed v 0.1.20. Then when I tried to install v 0.1.21-elul.5, it did upgrade itself successfully.

So, I think your theory about the numbering scheme is correct. Windows is doing something different with it to how Linux deals with it. I note that in the Control Panel, OoliteStarter v0.1.21-elul.5 is marked as "v0.1.21.0"
Yes, Windows cannot deal with Semver version strings. It requires to use numbering schemes, and they may only have three or four digits. I went for a quick fix, and maybe there are better solutions than mine.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

hiran wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:58 am
There are two issues involved:
One came from the expansions list and from my point of view is not an issue at all. Why should not two versions of some expansion be available at the same time as long as we can tell one from the other?
That's fine - but they shouldn't appear in the "updatable" list if they're not actual updates.
The other one is based on my idea that I might want to downgrade similarly as I may want to upgrade.
That's a useful option but it should either be in a "downgradable" filter or the older versions should be visually distinct from the newer ones - and again, the ones that are already installed should have some visible marker in the list that they are the installed OXPs. In its current form, to know which OXPs I have installed are the older or newer versions, I have to check each one individually.

The typical interface for this sort of thing is a list of items that can be updated, and in that list (on the same line) it shows the version currently installed, and the version that it could be updated to.

You could have a list for upgrades and a list for downgrades. I think putting them in the same place adds confusion.
Here is my YouTube channel, where I play poorly: Arquebus X
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

hiran wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:47 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:27 pm
Oolite started up, but did not load the saved game

From the log:

Code: Select all

2023-07-18 20:20:44,177 WARN o.s.Oolite [AWT-EventQueue-0] Skipping savegame /Users/accountname/Documents/Pre BlackBaron.oolite-save
2023-07-18 20:21:01,912 WARN o.s.Oolite [Thread-0] executing [/Users/accountname/Desktop/Hiran/oolite-1.90-Mac-TestRelease/Oolite.app/Contents/MacOS/Oolite, -load, /Users/accountname/Documents/Nikolaus I (Blackjack's Bullion).oolite-save] in /Users/accountname/Desktop/Hiran/oolite-1.90-Mac-TestRelease/Oolite.app/Contents/MacOS
2023-07-18 20:21:02,043 WARN o.s.u.StartGamePanel [Thread-0] launched(oolite.starter.model.ProcessData@a747f0d)
So despite the fact you had the command

Code: Select all

/Users/accountname/Desktop/Hiran/oolite-1.90-Mac-TestRelease/Oolite.app/Contents/MacOS/Oolite, -load, /Users/accountname/Documents/Nikolaus I (Blackjack's Bullion).oolite-save
running the savegame was not loaded. This is not according to the documentation at https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Hidde ... parameters.

Both the Linux and the Windows version of Oolite respect that parameter and load the game. Is there any way to figure out why the AppleMac version should not use it?
We have a confirmation now that the -load command line argument was never meant for Apple Mac Oolite builds. That means the behaviour stems from Oolite, not the Oolite Starter.

To not give users hope I will deactivate the Resume button in future versions when run on the AppleMac.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:24 pm
To not give users hope
Just bumped into this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Oolite/comment ... ?rdt=46884
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:25 pm
hiran wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:24 pm
To not give users hope
Just bumped into this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Oolite/comment ... ?rdt=46884
Thanks for pointing out.
This guy would definitely do good to describe the actions and reactions he got. What version of OoliteStarter? What version of Oolite?
Which expansions were installed? Which one is marked as missing? What about logfiles, both for OoliteStarter and Oolite?
phkb

Post by phkb »

There appears to be an issue with the Windows version of Oolite Starter. It’s not creating the correct path structure to the ManagedAddons folder. You have a PM.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

phkb wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:20 am
There appears to be an issue with the Windows version of Oolite Starter. It’s not creating the correct path structure to the ManagedAddons folder. You have a PM.
:D