Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Possible shipyard bug?

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

TedJ
Deadly
Deadly

Possible shipyard bug?

Post by TedJ »

Well, I've finally decided to upgrade from my trusty old Josher, and have been perusing the shipyards on the various high TL industrial planets I visit. Funny thing is, I'm no longer seeing the same variety of ships for sale that I once did. It's not unusual to see the ~15 ships available for sale being comprised of only 2-3 makes. Worst case I've seen to date was a shipyard selling no less than 13 Asp mk.ii SEs and nothing else.

Currently running 1.62-5 linux... will try removing OXPs and see if this helps.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

It's not a bug, but it is a problem allright...

A lot has to do w/ the fact that one can set a ship's chance to show up in the 'yard. So some ships w/ a high probability outcrowd the rarer ones.

I suspect some OXP combinations in effect change what's on sale in a disruptive way...

For instance, I'm looking for a Imperial Courier, once again, but so far, going to countless planets, I've seen none up for sale, aargh!
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Some .OXPs indeed offer the same ships and thus you may have several Asps, that are essentially the same but from different .OXPs, showing up as multiple entries in shops.

And I have yet to spot any real difference (except colour and price) with the 3 basic Wolf Mk IIs offered by the wolfmk2.oxp in addition to the SE...

All those .OXPs offer a lot of colour and choice to the player, but, as it is, one needs to be careful about what to install and what not, and, perhaps, how to prune some OXPs before installing them.
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

Rxke wrote:
It's not a bug, but it is a problem allright...
A lot has to do w/ the fact that one can set a ship's chance to show up in the 'yard. So some ships w/ a high probability outcrowd the rarer ones.
I really don't think that is the case, and if there was a way to set 'rareness' factor like was done with with roles, we'd jump on it. even running without any OXPs you can go to a TL 14 shop and be offered 20+ deals for just FdL and Boa.. the selection of a Soviet store.

as it is, the 'chance' factor just determines how likely a ship is to be decked with equipment, if I've understood it right.. ;)

but yes certainly, a way to determine rareness, and something enforcing more variety onto the shipyards would be a great.
The man next to you is your lunch
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

In 1.64, I've noticed an issue with the rotating display of each ship in the shipyard.

The sides of each ship flicker, as if the light source were a knackered fluorescent tube. This is in the side that is rotating out of darkness and into light., i.e. in the twighlight area.

Anyone else...?
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Wiggy wrote:
In 1.64, I've noticed an issue with the rotating display of each ship in the shipyard
Yeah, I've been working over the lighting code and a few builds showed that problem. Its should be fixed in the most recent versions.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
TedJ
Deadly
Deadly

Post by TedJ »

Murgh wrote:
as it is, the 'chance' factor just determines how likely a ship is to be decked with equipment, if I've understood it right.. ;)
That's how I've always understood the probability in shipyard entries to work, too.
Wolfwood wrote:
Some .OXPs indeed offer the same ships and thus you may have several Asps, that are essentially the same but from different .OXPs, showing up as multiple entries in shops.
The Asp II SE appears in exactly one OXP, with only one variant. There aren't many ships/equipment duplicated between OXPs, although I do agree that some ships offer way too many variants that are essentially identical.

My original point remains... a rich industrial world offering nothing except 13 Asp II SEs suggests a problem.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

I've noticed on recent base installs (no OXPs installed) that the shipyard is filled with multiple copies of the same ships. Sometimes it can be about three pages with only three or four actual ships available.

Then, when OXPs are installed, the same thing happens - five or six copies of each ships native to the game, but only one or two of the OXP ships. Note that this is when buying at a TL14 world, so most of the OXP ships should be available.
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

TedJ wrote:
The Asp II SE appears in exactly one OXP, with only one variant. There aren't many ships/equipment duplicated between OXPs, although I do agree that some ships offer way too many variants that are essentially identical.
Asp II SE:
aegidian-special.oxp / x-ships.oxp

Although I grant that the player version is only in x-ships...

And, yes, I've seen multiple ships as well... But since I've played the game only for a couple of weeks, I thought that it was supposed to be that way... ;)
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

It's important to remember that the ships offered in a shipyard will not necessarily reflect all the OXPs loaded - they're based on a simulation of ships being randomly offered for sale and bought by other NPCs over a period of time.

So there are some times when more ships one type will be offered than others. The time-cycle for the ship market is about 192 in-game days, so trying the market again after a week or so should show different results.

ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

aegidian wrote:
It's important to remember that the ships offered in a shipyard will not necessarily reflect all the OXPs loaded - they're based on a simulation of ships being randomly offered for sale and bought by other NPCs over a period of time.

So there are some times when more ships one type will be offered than others. The time-cycle for the ship market is about 192 in-game days, so trying the market again after a week or so should show different results.
Why if i sell a ship it does not appear on the market?
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

ArkanoiD wrote:
aegidian wrote:

Why if i sell a ship it does not appear on the market?
'Cos it sold!