Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Shipyard

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Mad Hollander
Dangerous
Dangerous

Shipyard

Post by Mad Hollander »

Looks like the same planet will always have the same ships for sale and what annoying - with the absolutely same equipment.
I checked this several times and see no changes.

Could anyone check this issue ?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Shipyard

Post by Commander McLane »

The content of the shipyard changes over time. But it's not happening overnight. Pilots don't tend to buy a new ship on impulse, thus most ships will spend a considerable time in the show room before being bought.

But it does change. One of the devs would have to say how long you'll have to wait, though.
Mad Hollander
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Mad Hollander »

Thanks, I hope I will be able to buy anaconda with naval energy unit :-)
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Essentially the shipyard ships change over at the same time as the rock hermits change position. This was supposed to be every 90ish days, but due to a bug in the code, is in fact "never".

There are therefore two solutions if you want a particular ship:
1) Search further afield: there are 2048 systems and one of them probably does have it.
2) Install or remove a few ship OXPs which add playable ships. This will adjust the effect of the fixed RNG sequence, and make different ships available.
Mad Hollander
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Mad Hollander »

cim wrote:
1) Search further afield: there are 2048 systems and one of them probably does have it.
2) Install or remove a few ship OXPs which add playable ships. This will adjust the effect of the fixed RNG sequence, and make different ships available.
You are killing me :(
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

cim wrote:
Essentially the shipyard ships change over at the same time as the rock hermits change position. This was supposed to be every 90ish days, but due to a bug in the code, is in fact "never".
Can this bug be fixed? *puppy dog eyes*
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Mad Hollander wrote:
You are killing me :(
On the "bright" side you probably only need to check the high-tech systems. In a TL14 or TL15 system the chance of an Anaconda having an NEU fitted is probably around 1/25 - not great, but you might get one, and there's usually going to be a few of them available. In a TL9 system (the lowest an Anaconda might appear in) the chance is around 1/320 per ship.

And by the time you've checked them all you'll probably have the option to just do the mission which gives you NEU clearance.
Zireael wrote:
Can this bug be fixed?
The buggy function - now that various things have changed how they're generated since 1.76 - is only used in two places:
- generating an internal ID for cargo contracts, which with code changes elsewhere hasn't made sense to do that way for a while. That can be removed.
- the shipyard generator

So, since the bug can be fixed without affecting anything else, how often would it make sense to change the shipyard contents?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

cim wrote:
... how often would it make sense to change the shipyard contents?
I'd think that cheaper, lower-end ships would have a faster turnover than top-end expensive ships.
As for how often though... hmm, I'd have to ponder on that.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
metatheurgist
Competent
Competent

Post by metatheurgist »

Cody wrote:
cim wrote:
... how often would it make sense to change the shipyard contents?
I'd think that cheaper, lower-end ships would have a faster turnover than top-end expensive ships.
As I was closing in on the 1.2M required to buy a Supercobra I found 2 in a RI-PA pair that was really close together. So I settled in and knocked out the remaining CR. After I hit the target it occurred to me that I would need some more credits to re-equip, have working capital and pay for maintenance (those SCobras cost a pretty penny to run). By the time I got enough money together I found both SCobras had been sold. I guess a couple of rich bastards beat me to it.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Cody wrote:
cim wrote:
how often would it make sense to change the shipyard contents?
This could be linked to how connected a system is: a shipyard at a major crossroads should change more frequently than one at the end of a line somewhere. Maybe it could update something like every 60 (or whatever) days/number of systems in range? It would be good if high-end ships could be more likely to remain on the list, but I suppose this would mean treating each ship on the list as a separate item.