Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Passenger Assassins Idea - Not WIP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Passenger Assassins Idea - Not WIP

Post by CaptSolo »

Heh! Yes, I browse the boards everyday. Saw something about passenger contracts that reminded me of my brief (very brief) experience with FFE. I'll wager everyone knows what I'm referring too: There is a contract out on your passenger. Could this be possible as an OXP for Oolite? It certainly would add interest to those who do passenger runs.

Thank you for reading.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Passenger Assassins Idea - Not WIP

Post by Diziet Sma »

Very cool idea.. I like it! 8)

In the meantime, you can simulate it by installing the Furball OXP.. then there will days it will certainly feel like somebody is trying to assassinate your passenger.. :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

CaptSolo wrote:
Heh! Yes, I browse the boards everyday. Saw something about passenger contracts that reminded me of my brief (very brief) experience with FFE. I'll wager everyone knows what I'm referring too: There is a contract out on your passenger. Could this be possible as an OXP for Oolite? It certainly would add interest to those who do passenger runs.
That's basically the idea behind the Long Way Around mission. And it's probably used in some other mission OXPs as well. The mission included in Vector OXP comes to mind, too.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

It'd be fairly straightforward for an OXP to add a couple of extra contracts to the passenger list with higher than normal profitability and then add some assassins now and then if the player took one. Sending "You'll regret dealing with {passenger}" as they attack optional...
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

cim wrote:
It'd be fairly straightforward for an OXP to add a couple of extra contracts to the passenger list with higher than normal profitability and then add some assassins now and then if the player took one. Sending "You'll regret dealing with {passenger}" as they attack optional...
Thanks for the replies. @DS, I have had Furball for quite some time. Cmndr McLane, I will have a look at that list. And Cim, exactly what I had in mind. Straightforward for you, perhaps, not me.
HAL
Competent
Competent

Post by HAL »

It reminds me of delivering packets to the main station from an RRS way station - there are some pathetic assassins with a 'clean' status every time. Not that I have the faintest clue how to do that :lol:
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

A sort of option in the F4 screen for VIP passenger transport would be great.

You could look at the description for the VIP and you have to make a risk assessment based on the description of the passenger.

It could look a bit like this:

Passenger contract: 2500 credits
Destination: Aronar
Name: Grob Max
Profession: CEO Lavian Post Enterprises

Press .... to ask what the risk is
Press... to accept the contract
Press.. to decline the contract

etc...

And of course you could do everything what you could do in a normal passenger contract.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709