Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

Griff wrote:
@ Simon B
A Simon B rock-hermit would be great! please do whip one up if you get the time, do you also have any of the stations done?
I saw another attempt and thought: I can do that better. :) I can do the interior with lights like you tend to. (its just a box so I figure you'd find that easy.)
i remember seeing a beautiful, coppery looking Coriolis you were demoing a while back, do you have anymore?
That coriolis is in the neolite core pack (fingers crossed) - if it aint, then its in my old HDD until I get an enclosure - with the navy ships.
The coriolis i've made doesn't really work that well, it's textures are too low rez and the normal map gives it that 'crinky paper' surface that makes us all cringe (those beveled edges i've done need to go too!)
I'd have thought you'd use the griff coriolis? Or is that what you mean?
Last edited by Simon B on Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
"Everything is perfect down to every last flaw..."
HBT: The Book of Verse - Principia Discordia
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

That coriolis is in the neolite core pack (fingers crossed) - if it aint, then its in my old HDD
Hey Simon, I still have the originals on mine, if you wanted me to do the other stations the reason I didn't do much with them the last time was due to their UV layouts, (drawing on one peice would also appear out of place on another part of the station) I had ideas but couldn't do anything with them due to this. Nice to see you back ;)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Speaking of rocks – ZygoUgo, how are your asteroids going?
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

Yerp! It's the school master! :oops:
Ahem.. butterfly mind currently distracted but not having forgotten, I think would be the most honest way to put it.. Got rather frustrated but my gloves will be on again soon ;)
Is there any estimation of time before the NMSR? Should I get my marching boots on?
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

started work on an asp remake, from fiddling about with the verticies, adjusting them to to reduce polygon smoothing errors along the ships back i've ended up with what looks like a mouth shape at the stern, literally kiss my asp!

Simon, any chance you can make the hermit dock a hexagon or octagon shape, and quite big, i was wondering if it might be a cool model to try and experiment with polygon clip maps, i thought it might look neat with lots of pipes and bits of metal plating, all bolted together haphazardly, you'll fly through a short tunnel of this with the scrolling light shader from the hacker outposts running alongside you, i can't really find a good example of what i mean, but something along the lines of the dark energy reactor in in Valve's Halflife2
that sort of pipe/metal grill structure all around the dock entrance and a short distance into it - oo, also the tunnel entrance of the Death Star2 in Return of the Jedi
Last edited by Griff on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

ZygoUgo wrote:
That coriolis is in the neolite core pack (fingers crossed) - if it aint, then its in my old HDD
Hey Simon, I still have the originals on mine, if you wanted me to do the other stations
So you are breaking your silence on this then?
the reason I didn't do much with them the last time was due to their UV layouts, (drawing on one peice would also appear out of place on another part of the station) I had ideas but couldn't do anything with them due to this. Nice to see you back ;)
Well - I used the original coriolis map which (iirc) has different front and back textures.

The latest build doesn't have funny normalmap popping issues. But I am limited because I cannot render the shaders any more.
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

Basic proposal - unskinned:

The default rock-hermit dock is a hexagonal prism.
I was thinking of putting large rectangular panels along the walls but I suppose I can go for exposed structure.
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

Hey Simon, I still have the originals on mine, if you wanted me to do the other stations
So you are breaking your silence on this then?
:wink: Thanks for staying shtum, my shyness is a bit daft really but you respected it.
I suppose I've said something because I had a bit of a concept, being that the rust was due to imperfections in the alloys and the classical logo/design, If the others matched they could represent the bygone glory days, rusting relics... with the participation of OXPers to always add their stations above tech level four unless they too are supposed to be ageing relics.. What do you think Simon?

The issue I found with the UV map was that the triangular sections were all positioned slightly differently, meaning that section couldn't have anything structured drawn on it because it would be partly hanging off on the others, and a new layout could make better use of scale/resolution if I remember correctly, it was a while ago.

@Griff.. Love the Gecko, and I think the nose works too :D Maybe you should have something on the rocks :wink:
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

ZygoUgo wrote:
@Griff.. Love the Gecko, and I think the nose works too :D Maybe you should have something on the rocks :wink:
a Martini? I like the way you think! :lol:
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

The issue I found with the UV map was that the triangular sections were all positioned slightly differently, meaning that section couldn't have anything structured drawn on it because it would be partly hanging off on the others, and a new layout could make better use of scale/resolution if I remember correctly, it was a while ago.[/quote]the UV map is a diamond filling the middle for the square faces, with the triangles distorted to fill the corners - front edge to the top or bottom edge. The front and back include the triangles, the sides don't - but use the same diamond layout. The back is the front rotated 180deg. Adjacent sides are rotated 90deg. I have a suspicion that the original model actually uses a different texture for the back and front.

This is just the default layout from in the game - I didn't remap it at all. The main issue I had was that I couldn't run a detailed texture right to the edges.

I don't think most people see the color patterns as rust exactly - though everyone gets that it is old.

I have been reimagining the dodo and isco stations. Whats happened with the coriolis has shown what can be done with just texturing and normalmaps.

For the dodo, I've moved the dock entrance to an edge like the isco, and plan to try the same patterning as the coriolis.

iirc - the isco is supposed to be new and high tech. So I want to do something different there. Not sure how to go though.
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

The neolite thread just got some stations added in the last few posts. Some of these may help with griffs station musings.
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

MISSION SPOILERS! I'll try to be as vague as possible but if you're still playing oolite through for the first time, please skip this post

help, i'm finishing off my asp oxp and i thought whilst i was there i'd add in a remake for the 'unusual cargo pod' using the griff_normalmapped_barrel. Everything seems to be working OK shader-wise but the unusual cargo pod is always being created with a yellow scanner lollypop and is unscoopable, here's the shipdata.plist for it - what have i missed? i copied everything carefully from the built in shipdata.plist for this item, only changing the item names and adding in the shaders definitions, testing using oolite 1.73.4, windows 7 64-bit:

Code: Select all

"griff_normalmapped_c#######-######" = 
	{
		ai_type = "dumbAI.plist";
		bounty = 1;
		cargo_type = "CARGO_SCRIPTED_ITEM";
		energy_recharge_rate = 0;
		forward_weapon_type = "WEAPON_NONE";
		max_energy = 5;
		max_flight_pitch = 0.5;
		max_flight_roll = 0.5;
		max_flight_speed = 50;
		model = "griff_unusual_cargopod.dat";
		name = "Unusual cargo container";
		roles = "c######-###### oolite-#######-######";
		scan_class = "CLASS_CARGO";
		script = "oolite-#####-######-pod.js";		
		thrust = 0;
		unpiloted = yes;
		smooth = "false";	
		shaders = 
			{ 
				"griff_unusual_cargopod_diffuse.png" = 
				{ 
					vertex_shader = "griff_barrel.vertex"; 
					fragment_shader = "griff_unusual_cargopod.fragment"; 
					textures = 
							(
								"griff_unusual_cargopod_diffuse.png", 
								"griff_unusual_cargopod_normal.png"
							);
					uniforms =
							{
							uColorMap = { type = texture; value = 0; };
							uNormalMap = { type = texture; value = 1; };
							uTime = "universalTime";
							hull_heat_level = "hullHeatLevel";
							}; 	
				}; 
			};
	};
edit: oh, adding in an extra line to 'like_ship' it to the built in item, eg like_ship = "c#######-######"; * gets it working OK, but like_shipping it to a griff_barrel (which i know are scoopable) does not.

* i masked the name to avoid spoilers in this post, it's written properly in the shipdata.plist.

The oxp is uploaded to the folder with all the other ships (see page 1 of the thread)
screenie:
yay! it's another murky green one
Last edited by Griff on Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

That's strange and shows that there is more behind the cargo-with-yellow-blip bug than I thought. As far as I can see you have defined it exactly like the original one, so it should behave exactly the same.

One minor thing, which however has nothing to do with the faulty blip: you should rename its unique role from "oolite-c..." to "griff_normalmapped_c..." or something of the like.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Griff, the Asp II demoships.plist has the wrong ship listed i.e. Gecko, instead of the Asp.
I changed it to asp_mk2 and all is well.

Another beautiful ship... thanks.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

oops, thanks for the spotting the bugs Commander McLane & El Viejo, i've updated the oxp.