Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Wishes, pleas, suggestions and demands!

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

@Griff - you, Doc and anybody and everybody else who wants to write progressively more clever oxps! :)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Sung
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Sung »

The next things to do:

rebuild and retexture: ROCK HERMIT & Asteroids (they are "crude" :wink: )

Sound Project! (All sounds in Oolite don't fit + Oosat2 & Oosat1). Sounds are one of the important things of a game. You can live with ugly graphics and bugs, but not with bad sounds...
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

@Snug. Have a look at Charlies's Asteroid Models (Included in Asteroid Storm OXP). They are anything but crude. 13 Different Shapes and Sizes. EG:-

Available on Oosat2. Link is on my Signature!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Wishes, pleas, suggestions and demands!

Post by Cholmondely »

Wiggy's response to one of Dr Nil's 2006 many suggestions for improvements (most of which we now enjoy).
Wiggy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:55 pm
Dr.-SPACE-Nil wrote:
More of the game OXP controlled to let modders make systems without planets or stars or cops or even populating systems with custom plists and e.g. allow for between system trading posts.
Further OXP control is a good idea, but you can already create, or rather mod a system to have no cops, and I think addPlanet exists. See the nova mission. But I'm not sure what you'd do out of a system that you could do within one. And everyone knows that the space between world is filled with Thargoids. A station wouldn't last a minute!

Lots of interesting stuff in this thread.

But I'm intrigued by the quote I've put in red which I've not seen before but seems to chime with my impressions from playing.

I've not seen much of this in the Lore I've read (but may well have missed it).

Any comments?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Dr. Nil wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:38 pm
Different criminal system. You should not be able to commit outright evil acts of piracy, then make a few skim jumps and have everything forgotten and forgiven.

Auto Trader equipment. You just tell it in which system you plan to dock at a station next time and it loads your cargo up accordingly. Generally I think that there should be a wider array of automation options or equipment to let players automate away the parts of the game that they find less attractive and really get down to do the stuff that they like the most according to taste.

Auto Pilot Auto Tracker - Combat Software
I've never seen this thread before, but I like the way Dr. Nil was thinking. :mrgreen:
"Would somebody stop that bloody music!"
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Wildeblood wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:05 am
Dr. Nil wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:38 pm
Different criminal system. You should not be able to commit outright evil acts of piracy, then make a few skim jumps and have everything forgotten and forgiven.

Auto Trader equipment. You just tell it in which system you plan to dock at a station next time and it loads your cargo up accordingly. Generally I think that there should be a wider array of automation options or equipment to let players automate away the parts of the game that they find less attractive and really get down to do the stuff that they like the most according to taste.

Auto Pilot Auto Tracker - Combat Software
I've never seen this thread before, but I like the way Dr. Nil was thinking. :mrgreen:
It's an interesting thread. The one idea I've so far come across which grabs me is this one:
Captain Hesperus wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:09 pm
What about 'rumours', other fighter-trader games like the Tradewinds series had a location where captains could go and get rumours (for a price) about the economies of local ports. It was a matter that the rumours were sometimes false.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?