Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Ruining the classics (screenshot heavy thread)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

Bl**dy H*ll thats brilliant Griff
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Oh, heck. there's a bug in it! the bad guy fer-de-lances have 2 laser guns on them for some reason, i wondered why they kept zapping me so quickly
fixed it, the main ship model and it's 'laser gun' subentity model both had a
forward_weapon_type = "WEAPON_BEAM_LASER";
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

8) She's another thing of beauty Griff.

Can I make one teeny tiny suggestion? The FDL is an expensive ship, inside and I always presumed outside too - perhaps the panel joints wouldn't be quite so deep? A little more refined?

Just a thought.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

That's a good point D_H, maybe sports cars and expensive boats would have been good reference points for the texture? Has anybody got a yacht i can borrow for a bit, where's Commander Maegil these days? maybe i can sail around warm seas 'doing research' :lol:

At one point i was going to use the thargoid '2 tone paint' shader on it to make it look really expensive, it didn't work out that well though, masking the effect to certain parts of the ship was causing me problems, i didn't want the 'chrome' parts around the underside & engines to get the effect, just the painted hull plates.

I decided the use the griff_viper shader on it instead, it has a faked reflection effect (not a proper reflection, just a generic starfield texture image that moves across the surface of the ship) to give it a slightly mirrored feel, A_C's experimental liquid metal shader effect would be cool to try on it too.

edited for spelling, i could have sworn there was a 'u' in 'yacht'
Last edited by Griff on Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I'd still like to see the full irridescent type shading we spoke about before on such a model.

Indeed I'd like to have suitable hardware that could show any damn shaders, but that's my own problem :twisted:
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

There is an iridescence example shader bundled with Rendermonkey, it's in the DirectX HLSL shader language though rather than in OpenGL's GLSL shader language, looking at the code it doesn't seem to need any cubemaps or any image format that Oolite doesn't support and all the clever sums and stuff are clearly annotated by the programmers so i might be able to translate it into an Oolite friendly shader.
If i can't we might be able to get the feel of an iridescent shader using the griff_thargoid shader and some crazy paint colours.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

i just realised that the mask image that controls the random re-painting the hull effect could also control the fresnel 2tone paint colour
it looks a lot more grimy now than it will be once i've re-edited the masking image.

I was digging about in rendermonkey's examples and there's a fancy micro fleck paint example shader in there, it needs it's own normal map so i'm tempted to dump the decal image from the ferdy and use it instead for the microfleck effect (if i can copy the maths accross!), it would be a shame not to try and bling the ship up as much as possible. a bit of redesigning on the top part of the hull might be a good idea, bring some more chrome parts into it
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Griff wrote:
a bit of redesigning on the top part of the hull might be a good idea, bring some more chrome parts into it
Chrome? chrome?!? I thought this was some kind of luxury-ship.. whatever happened to gold? :wink: :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Chrome? chrome?!? I thought this was some kind of luxury-ship.. whatever happened to gold? :wink: :lol:
Not expensive enough. The people with real money will buy the ship with dual-see-through-hull where the space in between is filled with printer ink, probably the most expensive substance anywhere ;)

Screet
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Screet wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Not expensive enough. The people with real money will buy the ship with dual-see-through-hull where the space in between is filled with printer ink, probably the most expensive substance anywhere ;)

Screet
No, that'll be my wife's face cream... :roll: :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
No, that'll be my wife's face cream... :roll: :wink:
So long as you feel you're getting value for money is the main thing, I guess! :wink: :wink: :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Cobra Mk1 remake
normal map & specular effects updated slightly
http://www.box.net/shared/oqcnpgihci

edit: tweaked the normal map and some of the glows, i've also changed the specular effect - previously the shader was mixing the underlying hull texturemap colour into the final specular colour, i'm wondering now if this isn't that great an idea so i've taken it out in this update
Last edited by Griff on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Griff ... is there a way to download all your newly done ships in one go?

I would very much appreciate that :wink:

Cheers :D

L

PS: You've heard so many times that this stuff is just brilliant ... still, one more time: It is.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Hi L
no, i'm afraid at the moment the ships are all in standalone oxp's dotted about in this thread, when the devs release 1.73 i'll make a proper oxp out of them all, i need to go back through the earlier ones and check the fixes A_C sent me ages ago for some wrongness in the shaders etc are all included, plus i imagine all the external views and weapon firing positions for the player ship need fixing too, it's all stuff i forget to check :roll:
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Great work, Griff! And in my eyes it catches the original feel of the MK1.

It looks you're going for a full replacement-set?!?