Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Post by dertien »

Thank you diziet sma

Didn't know there was a version 1.77.1 so installed it and problem remained.

By examining further, I could see that the problem was only present with the player ships, not with the NPC's so I changed a couple of lines as follows and that solved it:

In the shipdata.plist file from the griff shipset replace v 1.34

for the cobra mk 1 player:

Code: Select all

"fragment_shader" = "griff_cobra_mk1_player.fragment";
change it to:

"fragment_shader" = "griff_cobra_mk1_b_channel_decals.fragment";
Same thing for the cobra mk 3

from this:

"fragment_shader" = "griff_cobra_mk3_player.fragment";
to this:

"fragment_shader" = "griff_cobra_mk3_mainhull_b_decals.fragment";

ETC...

I did this for the following player ships from the complete resource pack:

Cobra Mk I
Cobra Mk III
Anaconda
Boa Mk2
Python
Python alt
Asp
Krait
Sidewinder alt
Gecko
Mamba

These ships seemed fine and showed their lights

adder
fer de lance
moray and moray medical

You can also download a copy of the file here, that does all that work for you:

https://app.box.com/s/7agst1g22wob10l2mfzv

Have fun

PS. I did notice that this fix removes the custom decal, so maybe Griff is working on that to get both the lights and the decals. It is what it is, that is as far as I can go. Don't know enough about shaders to edit or tweak them.
Alpha Backer of Elite Dangerous
With 250 GBP :D
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

The player ships won't show their lights in the shipyard or on the 'select commander' load screen - the thinking being is that the player isn't on board at that point so the ship is completely powered down, what's happening behind the scenes is that the player versions of the shaders test for the ships current alertCondition (see http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Shader ... :_uniforms ) and set the ship lights to reflect 4 different states:
0=Docked (Lights off),
1= Everything's groovy,
2=Yellow Alert,
3=Red Alert,
whilst NPC versions of the shaders don't do these tests, the lights are always on and the shader just tests if the ship currently has a target and if so changes the ship colour from white to red, by switching the player version of the shader for the NPC one as your fix is doing you're just skipping the alertCondition test and keeping the ships lights on all the time, plus as you've seen decals are handled differently between player & NPC ships (players have full colour decals with their settings handled by an uniform binding in the shipdata.plist so they can be edited more easily by players whilst NPC decal settings are hardcoded in the shader).
If you're still not seeing lights on these ships whilst flying around in them in game I think it's as Tichy suggests there's an oxp clash or some of the shaders in the resources oxp are missing
dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dertien »

Hi Griff,

Thanks for the heads up, seems like you gave us some new toys and I was not aware of it. Well I installed Oolite V 1.771 and just your 2 packs from the wiki, (meaning Core shipset Replacement 1.34 and Resources 1.2.25), so no clashes of oxp's can be the cause here.

Shaders are on full and I have a Gforce 630 with 2 gigs of ram and updated grafic drivers.

Still, I do get the red alert state if I'm being shot at, but while flying around, no lights. Is this intended or is the no light state only intended in the shipyard. Can you make me a screenshot of what I am supposed to see in the groovy state ?

Greetings
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

It's odd that you get the red lights when attacked but not the white 'Everything's OK' lights when flying around peacefully, you should be seeing this sort of thing, the cobraIII is from starting a brand new game at Lave and then I hacked a fresh Jameson save game to give myself the cobra Mk I
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On the moon Thought, orbiting the planet Ignorance.

Post by Redspear »

Griff wrote:
CaptSolo wrote:
Just now behind 10 other ships waiting to dock and using Cim's camera drones viewing from the dock master's position. Griff, it would be really cool to see at least one guy in a spacesuit inside the dock as a maintenance person, say in the pit you created for the Coriolis docking bay.

Ooops, The Station Master says c'mon in. Later!
:lol: ha that sounds great. It reminds me, as an easter egg i was going to make one of the docking bays a 70's disco complete with mirror ball and colourful floor tiles (like the dance floor in the club in the Saturday Night fever film)
Do you remember making this (see below)???

In my Ooniverse it's found only in systems with exotic/hoopy/fabulous/questionable night life.
Maybe this is the one for your disco bay? :D... but not everywhere :wink: ...
Esusti (133,121), {21,110,131,150,198,230,237} within 7.0 LY. Radius 5253 km. Communist, Average Ind. Pop. 4.2 B, Prod. 24192 MCr. HC: 7, TL: 10, Human Colonials.
This world is very well known for its inhabitants' ancient loathing of discos and the Esustiian spotted cat.
dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dertien »

Ok, I found the problem.

I didn't think about it until tonight, but I have two GPU's in my laptop, an NVIDIA and an INTEL one. Usually for games, my laptop switches to the NVIDIA one and there is no issue, but since I saw no framerate drops and I had full shader support, I assumed running Oolite with the NVIDIA GPU. I can force the game to start with the NVIDIA by right clicking on the Oolite exe however and this gave me a completely different result.

Your shaders all work out of the box now, and the lights show up as they were intended.

However, it is odd to see that with full shader support only a few ships showed their lights using the your new shaders with the INTEL GPU, instead of showing nothing at all. Like I said, the Adder worked fine and looked as intended, whereas the Cobra I, Asp II, Cobra MK 3 etc didn't work at all. Only by swapping the Cobra MK I shader for the Adder, did I get the intended result with the INTEL GPU, while losing the second paint color on the cobra.

I tested a few others and the Sidewinder, Mamba and Krait showed their lights as intended with the renamed Adder player shader, again with the restriction of not randomly creating different ships with different colors. The Cobra Mk III and the Gecko didn't work with the Adder shader, nor with the Fer de lance shader at all.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused by this and again, thanks for the heads up.

Greetings

Dertien
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I've added to my box account a remake of the Griffin Mk 1 from the lost Elite 2 game Braben & Bell supposedly started working on before falling out.
I've just noticed (whilst searching the wiki for this ships stats that there already is a Griffin in the Frontier game, this isn't that ship, it's much closer to the Griffin 2
[wiki]Griffin_Two_(Oolite)[/wiki] with only some slight differences in the shape of the ship - the wings are slightly swept forward in the Mk II)

It's a bit of an experimental oxp this one, I thought I'd try modelling some more detail into the ship using polygons instead of adding it later using a normal map, I think I was trying to ape those lovely un textured models Frontier have put out for their Elite Dangerous concept pics, it wasn't worth it really, the ship's 6000 polygons, I fudged a lot of it and the whole project took much longer to create and probably wouldn't look much different if I'd added the polygon detailing in as a normal map :lol: I'll come back to this at some point and add an alternative paintmap scheme (one where the ship isn't so white)

griff_elite2_griffin1_v1.0.zip
Last edited by Griff on Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
metatheurgist
Competent
Competent

Post by metatheurgist »

Quite like that red and white scheme. Reminds me of those spaceships from the early days of SciFi - colonial vipers, x-wings, whatever they fly in Buck Rogers.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Offline until December? You do have a shared folder in my Box, Griff - just for the new Griffin, perhaps?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Cody wrote:
Offline until December?
Is that from the wiki page Cody? I think that might be referring to last December :shock: , there was a bit of a downloading frenzy after Frontier announced the new Elite kickstarter, I've taken that off the wiki page now.
I've just logged into box and my account has only used about 50% of it's monthly allowance, which is surprisingly high actually, it normally only uses about 10% of it's allowance, I wonder if more people are playing Oolite in order to get ready for the upcoming Elite Dangerous alpha release next month.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Griff wrote:
Is that from the wiki page Cody?
Yeah, it was... but I don't see the Griffin in your Box.
Griff wrote:
I wonder if more people are playing Oolite in order to get ready for the upcoming Elite Dangerous alpha release next month.
Yeah, I reckon you're right.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

it should be there, the file name starts with 'griff_elite2_' though so that might be throwing you off if you have the box contents listed in alphabetical order, change it to date order and the oxp should be at the start or end of the list
Cody

Post by Cody »

Griff wrote:
... the file name starts with 'griff_elite2_'...
<face/palm> Ahh... got it!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

metatheurgist wrote:
Quite like that red and white scheme. Reminds me of those spaceships from the early days of SciFi - colonial vipers, x-wings, whatever they fly in Buck Rogers.
+1 from me too ... that's a pretty slick-looking ship, Griff! And the big areas of white look good to me.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

I am enjoying the steady migration from the used future look to the crisper cleaner models as produced here and in a number of other recent ship redesigns e.g ferdie, cobra I and III. Mamba and Hognose and find myself wondering if I can anticipate a similar redesign of the remainder of the core ship canon.

In the interim thank you for your oxps they remain as ever exceptionally good. :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV