Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Ruining the classics (screenshot heavy thread)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Ark wrote:
I do not believe that this thread justifies the title of "Ruining the classics" any more. Now it is more close to "Enchancing the classics"
This model is not only a remarkable ship but also a valid replacement for the original cobra
Hmmm...it's just that they do create a strange look compared to the common ships. I must admit though, that I like him "ruining the classics", too...it's really an enhancement.

I am not quite sure what type of ship to buy now...I guess I should buy something like the navy edition of the imperial courier, but the boa he made....it reminds a bit of a pimped up version of the Sulaco (Aliens II)...if it weren't so slow (I know, I can edit the files), I'd instantly buy it.

If there's a way to make some request, well...how about some griff-style alternative for the IC(N)? Guess I'd even save my money till then if I'd knew such a ship would be upcoming...

Anyway, I wish there'd be a larger speed range for most of the ships. I used models from python/bcc up to "fast" ships running at .6 - and the game does feel great with the higher speed. I wish there'd be a general engine upgrade to models, so that a fast ship ain't that overpowered to most others, while still having some slow stuff. I guess any big trade ship for anarchy worlds would have engines that trade off some cargo space (or have a higher mass) in order to achieve higher speeds, probably with slower acceleration/deceleration than tiny fast ships, and with just less pitch/roll? If things were realistic (I know, that can't be), a large ship would be as speedy as a tiny one, just the speed changes would be different.

Since it's so much fun running tiny ships over with a BCC and I do remember reading something about building ships for ramming capabilities in some elite manual, maybe the next "big" model could have a "head" built for such stuff? :twisted:

Anyway, go on, Griff, great work!!!

Screet
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

I just want to say I absolutely frigging LOVE the Cobra Mk III as you've rendered it.
Don't be afraid, PLEASE, to add as many new flourishes and what-not to the model. After all, the original models were geometric because of computing limitations of drawing wire-frame graphics on the BBC Model 'B', not because of some pan-galactic design ethos.

I say: start with this...

...and pimp the mofo.
"All is for the best in this best of all possible worlds..."
Dr.Pangloss, Voltaire's 'Candide'.

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Hi Pangloss - glad to see you getting stuck back in!

The Stealth Fighter F-117A has a similar problem - it only looks like it does because that's all the polys that US Military computers in the 60s could run in their anti-radar models, if you look at the B2 Stealth Bomber designed conceptually just 10 years later - nice and smooth but with equally good anti-radar properties.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Griff wrote:
it's 2383 polys! I Haven't loaded the model into Oolite yet to see how it plays, hopefully it will be ok, otherwise i'll cut out a lot of the bevelled polys around edges of some of the shapes
I suggest not making this sort of decision just yet. ;-)

Unfortunately, I think the effect of Oolite’s smoothing on this model will be somewhat disappointing, although decent results should be possible using smoothing groups. It’s a good thing, then, that the work I’m currently doing will make it easier to add support for other model formats, e.g. supporting OBJ files directly – this will allow non-flat normals from your 3D editor of choice to be used directly in Oolite.

This isn’t a prioritized feature for MNSR, but it is something I’ll need for the rewrite of Dry Dock I’m also working on. (It’s also necessary for generation of normal maps from high-detail models to be useful.)
Last edited by JensAyton on Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Ahruman wrote:
It’s a good thing, then, that the work I’m currently doing will make it easier to add support for other model formats, e.g. supporting OBJ files directly – this will allow non-flat normals from your 3D editor of choice to be used directly in Oolite.

This isn’t a prioritized feature for MSNR, but it is something I’ll need for the rewrite of Dry Dock I’m also working on. (It’s also necessary for generation of normal maps from high-detail models to be useful.)
Goodie, in short, the smoothing you see in your editor, is the smoothing you will see in-game.

Keep up the good work Ahruman.. :-)
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Newbie question-
MSNR??? (Mile Stone Next Release?)

Griff-
Sign me up... I'll take the first one off the assembly line!
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

@Griff
The Cobbie MK3 Looks very good! :D
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Cmd. Cheyd Vlos'Olplyn wrote:
Newbie question-
MSNR??? (Mile Stone Next Release?)

Griff-
Sign me up... I'll take the first one off the assembly line!
Mythical Next Stable Release. :D
Selezen wrote:
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

goddamn, she's gorgeous.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
@Griff - just noticed the "blender" as A_C calls it - I'm afraid I'm going to have to report you to the authorities as it looks a lot like a classified project I used to work on - no seriously it does - can't tell you what though - otherwise I'd have to shoot you... :D
* hazards a guess* Some sort of top secret device for combining bananas & milk?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Griff wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
@Griff - just noticed the "blender" as A_C calls it - I'm afraid I'm going to have to report you to the authorities as it looks a lot like a classified project I used to work on - no seriously it does - can't tell you what though - otherwise I'd have to shoot you... :D
* hazards a guess* Some sort of top secret device for combining bananas & milk?
We did warn you… *bang*
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

:lol:

I thought you'd designed one of these: http://www.gizmag.com/go/7461/ Although the one I was on the periphery of was called DART - lots of text but no photos (not surprisingly) on the web...
Selezen wrote:
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I've had a go at doing a viper in a similar style to the cobra
http://www.box.net/shared/0hphhfuuhb
because the ship makes use of normal mapping it won't work on the current test release of Oolite, but it should work on the trunk version, and i remembered to test the shaders in simple mode this time - and they work! unbelieveable!! :D
i fixed the exhaust placement after i took the screenshot
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Nice as always, Griff! It looks damned cool.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Gr8 Griff :D
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709