Battle Damage shown on Oolite Ships?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Killer Wolf wrote:
ClymAngus wrote:
Thargoid wrote:
And something similar with shaders too iirc - Griff's either going to have a field-day or a stress nervous breakdown (or possibly both).
Mr T, I'm working on this remember. For the dragon; front sub entity panels that are frag-able that reveal a damage texture fixed to the main body of the ship.
ah nightmare, i was just prepping that as my next project! you stole my idea! that or you previously mentioned it and i relegated it to my subconscious for the purpose of pretending i came up w/ it first later on :-/

oh well; nuts.
No nuts sir! Give it a go and so shall I. I have little free time as it is so the glory is still very much up for grabs. I would be intrigued by your solution to the problem.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

As would I. Or indeed if you start getting things thrashed out and want a 2nd opinion or even some help for bits if needed, it could be a nice collaborative work.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

well, this is as far as i got before being distracted by Werewolves and my next oolite OXP that i'm in the middle of : it's a rough and ready "proof of concept test" :-

target drone :
the white panel on the top wing is the subent, standing out cos of rough and ready texturing.

firing at it.... :

...eventually makes it go bang... (point : the explosion seems to generate from the host, not the destroyed subent, which spoils the illusion slightly)

...leaving behind damage (this is supposed to be ripped open skin w/ underskin struts.

it works fine, i say. i simply :
- split up my wing surface to make a simple square.
- lowered those faces fractionally
-made new faces where they were, in effect replacing the lowered wing skin
- define the Drone, and the panel as a separate subent. the sub ent is painted as normal skin texture while the lowered panels have the damage painted onto them.
- stick em in the game, and if you shoot the ship long enough, the panels explode leaving the damaged area visible.

all in all, a satisfying PoC. W/ forward planning and making more ragged panels etc, you could get far better effects obviously.

Like i say, i'm in the midst of other stuff, don't intend treading on anyone's toes or anything. Just got the thing working then got distracted :-D
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

As a PoC KW - very nicely done!!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Just a small reminder: The DW Cobra already does this for years. It has lots of neat subentities which you can shoot off one by one. :D
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Very nice work indeed.