Battle Damage shown on Oolite Ships?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Falconeer
Competent
Competent

Battle Damage shown on Oolite Ships?

Post by Falconeer »

Hi, as a recent new recruit to Oolite and having seen the superb ships modelled, I was wondering if its possible to show damage sustained during battle? Either to ones own ship, or the enemy ship or both? Or has this been done in an oxp I havn't seen yet?

After reading Drew's Status Quo and just started Mutabilis, I thought how great it would be if you could model battle damage, like on the Imperial Courier of the assassin, ( Lazer scorch to the engine nascelle) and keep the damage until you get it repaired :wink:

I dont know how anyone could do this, or indeed if its at all possible. Presumably you would have to have two ships (one original and one damaged) and swap them after the battle damage was sustained?

Wish I could write these oxp's, in my opinion they make Oolite compelling and superior to ANY other offering!

Best wishes to all commanders :)

Sorry, I know this post should have gone into the "Suggestion Box" thread................well I am new :oops:
caracal
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Battle Damage shown on Oolite Ships?

Post by caracal »

Falconeer wrote:
Hi, as a recent new recruit to Oolite and having seen the superb ships modelled, I was wondering if its possible to show damage sustained during battle? Either to ones own ship, or the enemy ship or both?
Others with more experience than I will probably have more to say, but:
  • Damage to your own ship is shown in the F5 display quite clearly, in the form of inoperative ship's systems.
  • Some ships have what they call "frangible subentities", meaning parts you can shoot off. With those, you can clearly see the damage, although I'm not sure whether losing a subentity causes any operational change in the ship itself. Certainly when I've encountered such ships, and blown parts off them, they were limping afterward!
As for things like scorchmarks, laser burns, missile dings, and so on, it is as you speculated, you'd have to swap texture files, which means you'd have to swap ships, in mid-battle. I don't believe the game engine allows for such squaffling, but I could be wrong.
Falconeer wrote:
Wish I could write these oxp's, in my opinion they make Oolite compelling and superior to ANY other offering!
I went from "Wow, those are cool!" to "How do they do that?" to "I bet I could do that!" to actually creating my own ships, bases, and soon (I hope) missions. So keep wishing, maybe it'll come true!
Falconeer wrote:
Best wishes to all commanders :)
Right back to you, commander. Be seeing you on the spacelanes.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

caracal wrote:
As for things like scorchmarks, laser burns, missile dings, and so on, it is as you speculated, you'd have to swap texture files, which means you'd have to swap ships, in mid-battle. I don't believe the game engine allows for such squaffling, but I could be wrong.
In the upcoming 1.74, you will be able to do something like this

Code: Select all

player.ship.setMaterials({"cobra3_redux.png":{diffuse_map:"asteroid.png"}})
and change the textures of any ship entity on the fly at any time.
caracal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by caracal »

another_commander wrote:

Oh holy crow! Griiiiiiiiiiff!! :lol:

1.74 has so much new territory to explore. I'm just all a-wiggle!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

And something similar with shaders too iirc - Griff's either going to have a field-day or a stress nervous breakdown (or possibly both).
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

caracal wrote:
Falconeer wrote:
I went from "Wow, those are cool!" to "How do they do that?" to "I bet I could do that!" to actually creating my own ships, bases, and soon (I hope) missions. So keep wishing, maybe it'll come true!
Hi Falconeer, It is easier than you might think to make OXPs. Like you I was awestruck when I first got into Oolite, and thought the guys doing OXPs were like computer geniuses, but you'll soon pick it up, just like I did. It started for me when I wanted to have a name painted on my ship, a very modest goal, and I started looking into how it all worked.
You'll find a lot of information on The Wiki in the OXP section which goes into a fair bit of depth, and don't be frightened to ask here on the Board. You'll find we're a friendly and helpful bunch, and always happy to answer questions.
All the best, Smivs.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Falconeer
Competent
Competent

Post by Falconeer »

Thanks All Commanders! All this is truly awesome!! :D

I have started my first steps.....managed to change a decal on a ship to one of my own little designs :o

I believe Oolite is now boldly going where no one has gone...............

Being able to view battle damage, sustained to your own ship, as you dock for repairs and then seeing it fixed as you re launch ready for the next encounter.................well................thats Right on Commanders! :D :D

Best regards.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

caracal wrote:
another_commander wrote:

Oh holy crow! Griiiiiiiiiiff!! :lol:

1.74 has so much new territory to explore. I'm just all a-wiggle!
Er.. I think the phrase you're looking for is "You da man!" :lol:

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Falconeer
Competent
Competent

Post by Falconeer »

Now the question is when does 1.74 become available :) And when does Griff put some, what was the term> "frangible subentities" on those ships? :D

I am off to study the Wiki and try to get my old space addled brain round to designing a ship.........could do with some of those robot implants Drew mentions in Mutabilis, the ones that repair all the dead brain cells :lol:

Best regards.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Thargoid wrote:
And something similar with shaders too iirc - Griff's either going to have a field-day or a stress nervous breakdown (or possibly both).
Mr T, I'm working on this remember. For the dragon; front sub entity panels that are frag-able that reveal a damage texture fixed to the main body of the ship.

0 special coding. None of it untried or untested in existing versions.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Unfortunately player ship sub-entities can't be regenerated at the moment (at least within a given game - didn't test save and reload).

Docking and launching doesn't reset things - so it puts something of a limit on the idea you told me about...
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Falconeer wrote:
.........could do with some of those robot implants Drew mentions in Mutabilis, the ones that repair all the dead brain cells :lol:
They'd have a job with me, I think the dead ones out-number the living three to one these days :roll:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Thargoid wrote:
Unfortunately player ship sub-entities can't be regenerated at the moment (at least within a given game - didn't test save and reload).

Docking and launching doesn't reset things - so it puts something of a limit on the idea you told me about...
I don't know, user action and all that. If you want the armour spend the time. For a game that likes to explore new paradigms, it could be an interesting direction. Kind of like fighting psycho-mantis....

Arguably a pivotal epiphany for lateral game play.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

I once worked on a cobra mk iii with something like 100 subentites with bits that could be shot off including armor plating that could make hull-breaches, if all the parts were shot off you would of ended up with the frame and cockpit and engines and little else.

Had all the pieces modeled, and even some texturing done... then realised i had to put it all together in a plist
After working out about 10% of the ships pieces positions and quaternions and health decided to test in game to see how it was
i discovered i had the x axis back-to-front, so in the end after several hours of work and I gave up in frustration and had some cake.

I ended up using parts of that oxp in my behemoth oxp as the 2 cobra mk iii pirates/reserves. But all merged into two models.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

ClymAngus wrote:
Thargoid wrote:
Mr T, I'm working on this remember. For the dragon; front sub entity panels that are frag-able that reveal a damage texture fixed to the main body of the ship.
ah nightmare, i was just prepping that as my next project! you stole my idea! that or you previously mentioned it and i relegated it to my subconscious for the purpose of pretending i came up w/ it first later on :-/

oh well; nuts.