Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

am hooked on this game!! but, am i right in saying.....

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Pansen wrote:
Don't know if this has been mentioned above (only skimmed the posts) but I think one explanation for lasers overheating more quickly than in the original elite is that it is not poss to buy a laser cooling booster in oolite.
In the original (8-bit) Elite this wasn't possible either - that was an invention for the 16-bit gamer market...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: am hooked on this game!! but, am i right in saying.....

Post by CheeseRedux »

bigmike20vt wrote:
...seems little point me getting the military one as i guess that will heat up even faster (or am i wrong SHOULD i get it?)...
Here's the technical answer: The heat produced by any laser is proportional to the energy (damage, if you like) delivered. This means that if we were to disable any cooling, any laser (be it Mining or Military) would deliver the same amount of energy by the time it overheated. By extension, it also means that once overheated all lasers deliver the same amount of energy per time unit.

So if you find that you are constantly running around with an overheated Beam laser (or 4), there may be little point in upgrading.

However, in addition to delivering more damage per time unit, the Military laser has another advantage that many consider to be its most important feature: Twice the range of a Beam laser. (And 1.71xThargoid; 2.4xPulse/Mining; 6xPlasma Cannon.)
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

A military laser is so worth it. I would get it.
I don't buy slaves and I don't shop at Mall Wart, they are both ethical standpoints. :)

RE: exports
It's impossible to know what you scooped before it's on your ship. So you may be a perfectly law abiding person who was suddenly saddled with slaves. In a strict game, there are few other places to trade cargo (rock hermits? few and far between), so you would become a criminal through no real fault of your own.
If you eject it, then only it gives people who actually want to deal in slaves, more incentives to go looking for them (any random cargo could be slaves),
So Galcop has decided to pay for slaves to get them off the market.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

On the subject of why trading laws in oolite are insane, I suggest that this is because real word laws are mostly the ravings of madmen, and we imagine oolite to be similarly run by Old White Men with tripe for brains :roll:
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
In the original (8-bit) Elite this wasn't possible either - that was an invention for the 16-bit gamer market...
I don't recall laser coolers in either the Atari or Amiga Elites.
Lucidor
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Lucidor »

16-bit games such as Frontier.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Lucidor wrote:
16-bit games such as Frontier.
Yeah it was definately in the Atari ST version of Frontier...

Although I was running it on my Atari Falcon030. :)
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: am hooked on this game!! but, am i right in saying.....

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

bigmike20vt wrote:
in my <gorgeous> griff cobra 3, i have the extra energy bank for the laser
..is that the GriffCobraIII seen in this thread?

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t= ... c&start=30
edit: WHEN YOU GO TO THIS THREAD, SCROLL DOWN TO THE PICTURE AT BOTTOM OF PAGE
DISREGARD THE MESSAGE AT TOP OF PAGE (SAYING SOME OTHER IMAGE HAS BEEN REMOVED)

or do you mean the CobraMkIII in "griff_arcelite_ships.oxp" where everything waxes rather psychedelic :shock:

I would definitely get the military laser - but I have no wish to remain "clean" so need to zap unethical ratbags (flying their blue triangles) a.s.a.p.

There is one benefit: viz. the experience of firing at long range targets, and eliminating them when they are mere dots in your screen sights pays huge dividends when - in all innocence - you become a target yourself during the many OXP adventures that will place you in harm's way for the great and immediate benefit of the galaxies at large.

Hope you enjoy looking at that Barbie Cobra; great shot! 8)
Last edited by Zbond-Zbond on Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Sendraks wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
I don't recall laser coolers in either the Atari or Amiga Elites.
Sorry, I didn't mean 16-Bit Elite, I meant 16-bit games beyond Elite ie. Frontier - my shorthand was a bit too short! :oops:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

Cmdr James wrote:
ravings .. madmen .. tripe for brains
sounds like a nice planet
Pansen
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Pansen »

Poro wrote:
Sorry Pansen, maybe Ih've misunderstood, but wouldn't that be the other way around? You would allow the laser cooler in the game where the laser overheated more quickly?

(N.B. I am not requesting a laser cooler for the game ;) )
Hej! sorry - seems I have my memory/elites muddled! (see above posts), but yes, your reasoning makes sense.

I thought that the reason the lasers seemed to cool less quickly in this game than the 'original' may be that the gamer who originally posted the question must have remembered playing the game with a laser cooling booster (LCB). Having only returned to the game recently, I presumed that he forgot that he had such a device installed - my supposition was incorrect, since it seems the LCB was only available in Frontier and FFE.

P.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

I thought the NES versions Naval Energy Units also effected laser cooldowns... Although this was a very long time ago and my memory is fuzzy at best.