Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

am hooked on this game!! but, am i right in saying.....

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

bigmike20vt
Dangerous
Dangerous

am hooked on this game!! but, am i right in saying.....

Post by bigmike20vt »

do the lasers overheat quicker than in the original?

in my <gorgeous> griff cobra 3, i have the extra energy bank for the laser

but my beam laser over heats far quicker than i remember it on the Amiga.

seems little point me getting the military one as i guess that will heat up even faster (or am i wrong SHOULD i get it?)

started my bounty hunting career yesterday, nothing better than scooping random cargo and seeing what you get.

seems a shame however, i want to stay clean, but it seems somewhat mean jettisoning a ton of slaves becasue they happen to be illegal in a system. a slow death in space has got to be worse than sellign as slaves.

just need the improved shields, but at almost 15 k it will be a while before i can afford them yet.

ranked up to "Mostly Harmless" yesterday. how exciting ;)
Fiat Coupe, helping motorists break the speed limit since 1993.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

It seems to some people that lasers are overheating faster. Personally I can't really say, I got used to how it is in Oolite, and me playing Elite was decades ago, so it is near impossible to remember correctly.

As far as illegal goods are concerned: contrary to public opinion it is not illegal to sell them anywhere. So there is really no need to dump anything in space. The only illegal act is to take slaves, narcotics, or firearms out of a main station (as opposed to deliver them into a main station). So if you make sure that you sell them after docking, you're fine. Just don't launch again while you still have some slaves in your hold. :wink:
Lucidor
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Lucidor »

Commander McLane wrote:
As far as illegal goods are concerned: contrary to public opinion it is not illegal to sell them anywhere. So there is really no need to dump anything in space. The only illegal act is to take slaves, narcotics, or firearms out of a main station (as opposed to deliver them into a main station).
Is there any reason for this? The logical thing would be to forbid it entering the station and not allow trading it at all. You would have to sell it to a rock hermit or something.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Lucidor wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
As far as illegal goods are concerned: contrary to public opinion it is not illegal to sell them anywhere. So there is really no need to dump anything in space. The only illegal act is to take slaves, narcotics, or firearms out of a main station (as opposed to deliver them into a main station).
Is there any reason for this? The logical thing would be to forbid it entering the station and not allow trading it at all. You would have to sell it to a rock hermit or something.
It was the way Giles made it and I guess that's reason enough ;-)
Lucidor
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Lucidor »

Insha'Allah

edit:

After checking with wikipedia I realize I have misunderstood that expression. What I meant was
Mā šāʾ Allāh (ما شاء الله), which means "God has willed it".
bigmike20vt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by bigmike20vt »

Commander McLane wrote:
It seems to some people that lasers are overheating faster. Personally I can't really say, I got used to how it is in Oolite, and me playing Elite was decades ago, so it is near impossible to remember correctly.

As far as illegal goods are concerned: contrary to public opinion it is not illegal to sell them anywhere. So there is really no need to dump anything in space. The only illegal act is to take slaves, narcotics, or firearms out of a main station (as opposed to deliver them into a main station). So if you make sure that you sell them after docking, you're fine. Just don't launch again while you still have some slaves in your hold. :wink:
ahh cool.....

unless the code is flexible enough to allow you to "release" slaves for free without taking a payment i guess this kind of makes sense. Selling slaves from a cargo canister you picked up seems better than letting them die. I do not remember the original Elite being like this however.

thanks.

This game is going to cost be a packet

i want to play elite but the only PC that can run it is the lounge media pc.
so i need to buy a new one for the games room.

no point buying a low spec one, so i guess i will end up spending a load mostly to play oolite.

ahh well i guess i can play some of the pc exclusives i missed out on in the last 2 years.
Fiat Coupe, helping motorists break the speed limit since 1993.
Captain Tylor
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Captain Tylor »

It depends on your imagination.
I would say if you are selling slaves it`s more a fee recieved for release. where as if you leave with the slaves it shows intent to profit.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Lucidor wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Because Co-operative law, and local planetary law, are two different things. Slavery, gun-running and drug dealing aren't illegal in the Co-op: they're just controlled. On some planets, they're illegal; on others they're not. On some planets, booze is illegal but megaweed isn't; on others, sugar is forbidden but cannibalism is a cultural expectation. It's a big and awkward galaxy and the Co-operative doesn't really do any more than provide a simple set of guidelines to keep everybody trundling along at roughly the same pace without too many fights breaking out. There are a variety of ways to become an offender, for example, from smuggling to murder. The sentence is the same, though: outlawry with a bounty on your head. Even then, if you manage to avoid justice for long enough, all will be forgiven. It's a very rudimentary code.

In non-Co-op stations, like Convenience Stores, slaves, narcotics and firearms can be bought perfectly legally. In fact, it's a good reason to visit your local Con Store: even if they've only got a couple of tons of narcotics available, the profit margin per ton can sometimes be eye-wateringly extreme. Personally, though, I rarely trade in guns and never in slaves. But if I scoop slaves, I can't bring myself to dump them, even if there are more tempting targets available. I've got to bring them in: where, in the absence of a free-the-slaves OXP, I rationalise some system where I turn them over for release.
Lucidor
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Lucidor »

Disembodied wrote:
Because Co-operative law, and local planetary law, are two different things. Slavery, gun-running and drug dealing aren't illegal in the Co-op: they're just controlled. On some planets, they're illegal; on others they're not. On some planets, booze is illegal but megaweed isn't; on others, sugar is forbidden but cannibalism is a cultural expectation. It's a big and awkward galaxy and the Co-operative doesn't really do any more than provide a simple set of guidelines to keep everybody trundling along at roughly the same pace without too many fights breaking out. There are a variety of ways to become an offender, for example, from smuggling to murder. The sentence is the same, though: outlawry with a bounty on your head. Even then, if you manage to avoid justice for long enough, all will be forgiven. It's a very rudimentary code.
All fine and good. But it doesn't explain why you get fined when you leave with the goods you legally bought instead of when you bring illegal goods in.
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Lucidor wrote:
All fine and good. But it doesn't explain why you get fined when you leave with the goods you legally bought instead of when you bring illegal goods in.
From the police's standpoint, you effectively returning contraband to their safe care? If you're taking it out of the station, then it is no longer in police custody and who knows what you're going to do with it?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Lucidor wrote:
Because you need a special license to export controlled (not illegal) goods from a Co-op Main Station. Bringing them in is fine: you could have acquired them, legally, anywhere – and there's no way the Co-op officials can prove otherwise.
Lucidor
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Lucidor »

Sendraks wrote:
From the police's standpoint, you effectively returning contraband to their safe care? If you're taking it out of the station, then it is no longer in police custody and who knows what you're going to do with it?
What's the point of it being contraband when anyone can buy it in the store and do whatever they like with it? (except taking it out of the station)

I could hoopy strawberry cocktails and sell in the station, which I guess isn't the intention of the prohibition.
Pansen
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Pansen »

Don't know if this has been mentioned above (only skimmed the posts) but I think one explanation for lasers overheating more quickly than in the original elite is that it is not poss to buy a laser cooling booster in oolite.
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

Sorry Pansen, maybe I've misunderstood, but wouldn't that be the other way around? You would allow the laser cooler in the game where the laser overheated more quickly?

(N.B. I am not requesting a laser cooler for the game ;) )
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Lucidor wrote:
What's the point of it being contraband when anyone can buy it in the store and do whatever they like with it? (except taking it out of the station)

I could hoopy strawberry cocktails and sell in the station, which I guess isn't the intention of the prohibition.
Because the restrictions on slaves, firearms and narcotics are there to protect planets from being flooded with these more contentious items. Main stations are cosmopolitan places, filled with a riot of species who enjoy a wide variety of customs and expectations; but 99.99% of the inhabitants of the Co-operative live their lives on their own worlds, following their own laws. What a tiny fraction of space-bums – that's us, by the way ;) – get up to in orbit doesn't really matter to them very much.