Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Post by Commander McLane »

Ahruman wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
I guess this is the result of an oversight when like_shipping or c&p'ing the NPC Cobras from the player Cobra.
like_ship would be a bit of an anachronism there.
I thought I had seen a "like_ship" = "cobra3-player" in the alternate Cobra shipdata, but I obviously misread from "cobra3-trader". My bad.
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Capt. Murphy wrote:
Griff wrote:
sorry about all the hasstle El Viejo, thanks for taking all that time to work through what i was suggesting!
if you think about it it makes sense that this was the fault, when you start a new game you're put inside the cobra3-player ship, this was like_shipped to the griff one for some stuff, but since cobra3-player still has all it's own settings listed in it (including viewport settings) these then overwrite the ones inherited from the griff version and we end up with gun viewport weirdness, odd that the model stayed as the griff one and didn't get overwritten back to the default cobraIII. i suppose the fix would be to hack up the cobra3-player entry in the original shipdata so that it only contains the like_ship, role and model lines
To get the start-up ship to be Griff's Cobra with the views correct I edited the original Oolite shipdata.plist changing line 983 to like_ship = "griff_normalmapped_cobra_mkIII_player"; On it's own this creates the dodgy visible laser.

I then pasted the various view position lines from the griff shipdata.plist over the corresponding lines in the original. All seems fine and dandy so far - I also renamed the original demoships.plist to demoships.old so the original models that don't appear in game don't appear at start-up.

Original Oolite Files all backed up first of course....!
Ok -a 'safer' way of making Jameson start in a Griff Cobra (and makes the Griff Cobra appear on Oolite launch) that doesn't involve editing the oolite base config files is to make yourself a very small add-on OXP that's installed alongside Griffs all in one shipset.

Call it something like zz_default_jameson_ship.oxp (zz so it loads after other OXP's). It only needs a CONFIG folder with a shipdata.plist with the following code.

Code: Select all

{
"cobra3-player" =
	{
		like_ship = "griff_normalmapped_cobra_mkIII_player";
		forward_weapon_type = "WEAPON_PULSE_LASER";
		}
		}
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

I thought the OXPs no longer load in alphabetical order?
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

They do seem to load alphabetically on Windows machines.....

Having said that that it doesn't actually seem to matter what order they load in for that little OXP to work.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Added a standard missile re-make oxp, Griff_Missile_normalmapped.zip
and... an oxp to add an NPC CobraIII with external missiles! :D :D listed as CobraIII_with_subent_missiles.zip (download is in the same box.net folder as the normal mapped ships), it needs the griff_missile.oxp and the all-in-1 ship bundle to work (although you can edit the oxp to use the standalone griff_cobraIII oxp insted, instructions in the readme in the oxp).

A massive thanks to Thargoid for writing the script that makes the missiles work in this oxp, it's really clever, they fire off in the correct position and everything! - i was expecting them to set off from the missile_launch_position setting in the shipdata.plist

One thing i did find odd was that i had to set the bindToSubentity setting for the missile's speedFactor to YES ...

Code: Select all

engine_power = { binding = "speedFactor"; bindToSubentity = YES; };	
... to stop the missile engine glowing when the missile was being carried by its parent, that's sort of the opposite to what i was expecting! anyway it seems to be working OK
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Technically they do set of from the missile launch position. It's just that the script is triggered by that launch, and does a slight-of-tentacle and moves them to the sub-ent position immediately. Hence it appears like they launch as they should.

Anyway glad you like it - will have to grab a copy myself when I get chance and see it in its full glory (the Griff'd version, rather than my test one). The missile looks lovely!
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Griff wrote:
(although you can edit the oxp to use the standalone griff_cobraIII oxp insted, instructions in the readme in the oxp).
Griff, will this work with the multi decal cobra as well?
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Brilliant work guys. Award youselves a jellybaby each.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Nice! :) Will download asap! ;)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Gimi wrote:
Griff, will this work with the multi decal cobra as well?
No it won't i'm afraid, it's not for any player flyable ships :( Thargoid mentioned in the guide he gave me for understanding his script that Oolite would treat the missile subentities as damaged equipment when the player fired them and that would trigger requests for ship maintenance or something whenever the player docked, in the end it would drive you barmy
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

nice looking weapon! probably be a bit less nice when one's speeding towards your ship tho :-)
sad thing is, it's one of those things you're probably never going to see to appreciate - missiles are so small and quick you rarely if ever get a good look at them - also because you generally ECM the buggers as soon as they're launched at you!
DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

But makes a good opening screen :D

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Killer Wolf wrote:
nice looking weapon! probably be a bit less nice when one's speeding towards your ship tho :-)
sad thing is, it's one of those things you're probably never going to see to appreciate - missiles are so small and quick you rarely if ever get a good look at them - also because you generally ECM the buggers as soon as they're launched at you!
Very true ... although you'll get a decent view when you launch one. Maybe though if it had something like alternating red and white panels on its nosecone it might catch the eye a bit more? And hardheads could be blue and yellow? Obviously it makes sense for missiles to be hard to see, but for game purposes there's nothing wrong with a bit a bling!
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Griff wrote:
an oxp to add an NPC CobraIII with external missiles! :D :D
Nice one. Next step for external missiles would probably be than when you hit one with your laser, they explode on the spot :twisted:
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Eric Walch wrote:
Griff wrote:
an oxp to add an NPC CobraIII with external missiles! :D :D
Nice one. Next step for external missiles would probably be than when you hit one with your laser, they explode on the spot :twisted:
Now that I would like to see, I guess that they could be shot off anyway, but some fireworks would be nice too.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"