Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

On energy bombs

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Davidtq wrote:
___Longwinded unnecesary expansion on the above____
Blimey! How long did that take to type?! :lol:
Davidtq wrote:
It a traditional part of the ship build for me. I always equip a ship with an energy bomb, its an essential part the equipment list of a well equipped ship, straight out of "the dark wheel" - the Elite bible for me. I like to "tick" the options box's when the cash is available :lol: Its like having all my missile pods full, I dont use them but its just not complete without them.
Exactly how I feel.
Davidtq wrote:
I would object to removing energy bombs as much as I would side laser ports or missiles, I may not use them but to me they are a part and parcel of the elite universe.
I use side laser mounts for mining lasers. Makes mining easy. Cruise up to an asteroid to left or right of it, slow to a stop next to it, switch to side view and blammo!

Incidentally do you use rear lasers? I hardly ever use it, but I fit a beam laser on the rear normally.
Davidtq wrote:
I came to Oolite for "Elite" with more modern graphics and options. Its a shame to see a machete being taken to originally valid gameplay options, although at least a bandaid is now being offered. I guess it comes down to if you are an "Elite" or "oolite" fan.

For me oolite is elite reincarnated and expanded with the core ideas being "Sacred" and the expansions and additions being "gravy" (which for the most part Im delighted with) Im all for additional options, but Ive never been a fan of enhancing a game by removing options.
Again, this is exactly how I feel. Am an "Elite" fan like you.
Davidtq wrote:
Perhaps if the biggest issue was we can have them npcs cant, there can be an OXP to give innocent traders the chance to possess them, adding a little extra spice to the life of those who seek to prey on the innocent :D and evening the odds for the innocent traders being preyed upon by unfair numbers of pirate npcs!
I think this is a great idea.

I'm happy now that common sense has prevailed.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Lucidor
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Lucidor »

JazHaz wrote:
Are you saying those who don't want it are lacking common sense?

But the solution is good. It won't be there unless you manually edit a config file.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Lucidor wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
Are you saying those who don't want it are lacking common sense?

But the solution is good. It won't be there unless you manually edit a config file.
No I'm not, but it would have been mad to alienate half (according to the poll) of the community by removing it completely.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Davidtq
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Davidtq »

JazHaz wrote:
Davidtq wrote:
___Longwinded unnecesary expansion on the above____
Blimey! How long did that take to type?! :lol:
Far longer than I should have spent on it. About 2 Hours between other things...
JazHaz wrote:
Davidtq wrote:
I would object to removing energy bombs as much as I would side laser ports or missiles, I may not use them but to me they are a part and parcel of the elite universe.
I use side laser mounts for mining lasers. Makes mining easy. Cruise up to an asteroid to left or right of it, slow to a stop next to it, switch to side view and blammo!

Incidentally do you use rear lasers? I hardly ever use it, but I fit a beam laser on the rear normally.
Ive used side lasers once or twice for attempting mining but its just never appealed to me that much, piracy seems like "faster money".

I dont use rears often at all, normally when I over heat the fronts, but carefull fire control reduces that issue. I do fit beam lasers when theres nothing better to buy, and once I have "more money than I know what to do with" I eventually put millys all round, just ticking the options boxes :roll:
JazHaz wrote:
Davidtq wrote:
I came to Oolite for "Elite" with more modern graphics and options. Its a shame to see a machete being taken to originally valid gameplay options, although at least a bandaid is now being offered. I guess it comes down to if you are an "Elite" or "oolite" fan.

For me oolite is elite reincarnated and expanded with the core ideas being "Sacred" and the expansions and additions being "gravy" (which for the most part Im delighted with) Im all for additional options, but Ive never been a fan of enhancing a game by removing options.
Again, this is exactly how I feel. Am an "Elite" fan like you.
Davidtq wrote:
Perhaps if the biggest issue was we can have them npcs cant, there can be an OXP to give innocent traders the chance to possess them, adding a little extra spice to the life of those who seek to prey on the innocent :D and evening the odds for the innocent traders being preyed upon by unfair numbers of pirate npcs!
I think this is a great idea.

Indeed Im glad the option is to be there. In no way would I wish to offend the guys who put in so much time and effort completely unpaid. Its their baby, their choice, just its originally based on something dear to my childhood :D I positively enjoy most of the enhancements and embelishments :D

As remakes go, It could be worse, thus far its a one off reversible "deletion" I dont agree with. Its not as if its a Peter Jackson's rewrite of Faramir and Theoden. Its more of an orcs being able to run up vertical surfaces... That said if I did use this as part of gameplay it probably would be on the same level. :shock:

Now whilst I find myself accidentally crusading in the name of greater game imbalance and cheat modes, perhaps we need an OXP for a Battle Tardis. :shock: :lol:
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Davidtq wrote:
perhaps we need an OXP for a Battle Tardis. :shock: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Davidtq wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
Ive used side lasers once or twice for attempting mining but its just never appealed to me that much, piracy seems like "faster money".
With an Ore Processor available, it makes mining more profitable and fun.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Davidtq wrote:
perhaps we need an OXP for a Battle Tardis. :shock: :lol:
Do you mean a G.I.M.A.S? :D
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

another_commander wrote:
Confirm Diziet Sma's comment. The current entry in equipment.plist looks like this:

Code: Select all

(
		7, 9000, "Energy Bomb",
		"EQ_ENERGY_BOMB",
		"A one-shot super-weapon capable of destroying all small craft within range.",
		{                           // RemoveMe
			strict_mode_only = true; // RemoveMe
		}                           // RemoveMe
	),
To reinsert the bomb in the game it is sufficient to remove the lines marked with RemoveMe.
Have updated the Wiki with this information.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

Awesome!, Thank you dev team for making an easy option.
:)
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

I'm not sure why the EB became such a target of hatred, though what's done is done.

If equity with the NPCs is the great leveller - are all other things equal?
Those b'stards always seem to have more fuel, missiles and lasers than me.
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Hello Wiggy!

It's not so much that the EB is hated as such, only that the quirium mine seems to do more or less the same job & be a lot less 'magical'...

In any case,

- it will always be available in strict mode.
- we're keeping it as standard in unrestricted mode, at least until MNSR
- even after removing it from unrestricted mode, it will still be possible to re-enable it: either manually, or by using a very easy to write three-line oxp to overwrite one equipment setting.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

E-Bomb vs Q-mine?

Post by Alex »

My Tuppence worth,

Ye I remember old money, even remember using it, afore any yous oldies start!

I want my energy bomb!!
BOO HOO I'll stamp my feet and hold my breath till blue.. Give me my energy bomb!!;

Came in really handy while learning how to dog fight.
Really Really handy if you haven't got turbo fitted (fuel injectors)

Though... Can't remember ever using it after 'Dangerous' status. mmm.
Think that is by the time I needed it I couldn't remember which button activated it in time!? Old age maybe?

Q-Bomb;
BAHHH. Lot of rubbish except for eye candy as your ship runs away with turbos on full, Whooopy Doo!.

Bought one once and used it;

Was a cold morn in space, (as though there are any other morns?)
Got put on but a marauding bunch of louts. They were attacking a convoy.
Not that I was eyeing the convoy up..
Minding my own business I was.

Down to a bar and a bit energy, 3 reds still on scope. 5 Yellows.. Mmm.
Deploy Q and After burners with turbo..

Trouble is, It doesn't just take out what's on scope but reaches to every and anything withing the reach of it's expanding field of each ship it effects.

Down right nasty bit of gear. Will never have that on my ship.

So...
Give me my usefull energy bomb and ban the Q!
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

I lurve Q-mines
Don't get on too well with Cascade Missiles, they never seem to work - due mainly to my poor deployment skills - with the target witchspacing out' the joint before missile detonates. Or something.
Interception missiles. Great!
Lawmaker missile - Grrreeat!! (esp. when used in conj. with above)
Override missile - OK - don't use much
AntiThargoidMissile - seems completely useless to me, but prbly due to my deployment strategy..
So whether in my oxp rat-boy pimpmobile or flying the more conservative standard ship, it's quite an arsenal. :twisted:

PS. Frag missile occasionally a fun defence
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Zbond-Zbond wrote:
I lurve Q-mines
Don't get on too well with Cascade Missiles, they never seem to work - due mainly to my poor deployment skills - with the target witchspacing out' the joint before missile detonates. Or something.
Think that there is a new version of Missiles and Bombs that fixed the Cascade missile problems?

EDIT: current is v2.4, but it fixed the Override and Lawmaker missiles, not Cascade! :)
Zbond-Zbond wrote:
AntiThargoidMissile - seems completely useless to me, but prbly due to my deployment strategy..
These don't seem to work too well against thargoids?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

JazHaz wrote:
Zbond-Zbond wrote:
These don't seem to work too well against thargoids?
Now wondering if my deployment strategy is right. Been trying these against Thargoid Cruisers and Battleships for GalNavy missions. They don't seem to do much damage.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.