what is your rig?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
Started a new Jameson save today. No ships available at Lave, so I went to Zaonce. A few ships available there. Bought a nice Mamba!

Excellent ship. I remember these from the original BBC Elite, always thought these were the nicest wireframe designs apart from the Cobra. :)
A Mamba? You shouldn't be able to buy a Mamba - they're not jump capable so unless you wanted to fall through random wormholes created by other ships...

So I thought these ships weren't available from the shipyard? (Do you have RS/OE installed?)
illicit unlock and many other oxps unlock them, all player ships are hyperspace capable, there's no way to make them not able to do it.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
Started a new Jameson save today. No ships available at Lave, so I went to Zaonce. A few ships available there. Bought a nice Mamba!

Excellent ship. I remember these from the original BBC Elite, always thought these were the nicest wireframe designs apart from the Cobra. :)
A Mamba? You shouldn't be able to buy a Mamba - they're not jump capable so unless you wanted to fall through random wormholes created by other ships...
Illicit Unlock OXP....! :wink: And course you can jump when its a player ship! :)

Uses the narrow HUD too. Nice and nippy for dogfighting. No missile pylons though, and also the laser shoots from the wrong position:

JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Just leaving the Griff Industries' Coriolis station at Zaonce...

I just missed including a Kirin in the screenshot, but it left in the wrong direction to make a nice trio.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

JazHaz wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
JazHaz wrote:

Illicit Unlock OXP....! :wink: And course you can jump when its a player ship! :)

Uses the narrow HUD too. Nice and nippy for dogfighting. No missile pylons though, and also the laser shoots from the wrong position:

Ya, there are alot of bugs like that with Illicit Unlock, it seems to od been very hastily made.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

There are no bugs in Illicit Unlock per se; by design, it does exactly what it says on the tin and nothing more. If you buy a ship not intended for player use, this is what you should expect.
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

So far my space career has seen me the proud owner of the following:

Python - a surprisngly durable bucket of bolts which saw me through my early milk running days. Kitted out with decent gear, it'd surprise pirates.

Fer-De-Lance GTR (Neolite Fer-De-Lance) - used for a spot of bounty hunting, a few missions for the navy, helping deal with a rogue asteroid and eventually hunting a stolen military prototype ship into galaxy two. Not the most durable ship, but ever so fast, graceful and a real beauty to look at.

Typhoon Class Cruiser - Longer, thinner, purpler and faster than a Python. Good for more milk runs, but despite the speed, not as much fun in a fight as the Python. Head or tail on, its hard to hit, but its length made it quite a target during evasive maneuveres. Best to just hit the injectors and run.

Wolf Mk II SE - A real slugger. Doesn't handle as well as the Cobra MkIII or Fer-De-Lance, but could take a real pounding in a fight. A real menacing looking ship, no wonder so many bounty targets jumped system when they saw it barelling towards them. Managed to take down a few rogue system platforms and a Leviathan as well. A real classic combat ship and not a bad passenger transport either, although not terribly comfortable for clients, it always got them where they wanted to go, no matter who might be following them.

Adder - Only had this for a few days, as I wanted to trade down to a cheap ship (to save on maintainence) while looking for my next craft.

Anaconda - The ship that made me millions. Being able to take on multiple cargo contracts (plotting course across the galaxy sensibly) allowed me to rake in hundreds of thousands of credits crossing from one side of Gal 2 to the other. This huge ship could take a real beating, even without Military lasers fitted, but not really a ship suited for combat. I always tried to keep my fuel tanks near full for my injectors and didn't go looking for trouble.

Caduceus "The Meaning of Regret" - thanks to my trading money (and no small personal risk on my part), I managed to muster the necessary cash to acquire a young specimen from the Shulth. This infant vessel still has some way to go (and a lot more money will be needed) until its armour? (exoskeleton?) is fully hardened, but it is quite a fearsome creature. It has already been involved in a handful of minor skirimishes on behalf of the Gal Navy where it has performed admirably. It is an unnaturally good combat vesssel.

Still this isn't where the journey ends, lurking out in the galaxy somewhere is the Black Dove. Finding that ship will be dangerous enough.
Pansen
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Pansen »

Interested what Sendraks says about the Caduceus - does it really get more resilient with time? was gonna trade mine in, but may hang onto it, if that's the case!

Have yet to discover the black dove....

[/quote]
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Pansen wrote:
Interested what Sendraks says about the Caduceus - does it really get more resilient with time? was gonna trade mine in, but may hang onto it, if that's the case!
It doesn't, just a creative writing explanation for the fact I've not bought Military Shields for it yet.
Pansen wrote:
Have yet to discover the black dove....
You won't, because it doesn't really exist yet. I've created a unique, reskinned, Morrigan for the purposes of a template Black Dove in my OXPs, because it is the cloest ship in game to what I imagine the Black Dove to look like. It is a personal thing, very much a story based concept.
Pansen
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Pansen »

OK;-)

Really good ideas, for sure!
Loxley
Deadly
Deadly

Hello

Post by Loxley »

Well this seems as good a place as any for a first post.
I recently traded in my Mk3 after dealing with a small problem for the Navy and am now currently making my fortune in a Boa Class Cruiser in Galaxy 2.
"There is still much music to be written in C major" Stravinsky
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: Hello

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Loxley wrote:
Well this seems as good a place as any for a first post.
I recently traded in my Mk3 after dealing with a small problem for the Navy and am now currently making my fortune in a Boa Class Cruiser in Galaxy 2.
Welcome to the friendliest board this side of Riedquat(tm) Loxley (hope you earned the cash to buy that Boa honestly at not robbin' :roll: )
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

Boas are over-rated. I prefer a nice python class cruiser myself. Faster, turns better, and above all, has a cool sharky paint job :D

Commander Monty, a Python Class Cruiser driver :D
Iron assed bulk haulers for the win!

Of the two trumbles which escaped today from Lave station, only 473 have been located....
Loxley
Deadly
Deadly

Ouch

Post by Loxley »

Ouch, that was one painful pun DaddyHoggy :lol:
Honestly earned cash though (I rather got suck in Gal 1 what with passengers to drop off, rightful kings to restore to their thrones, UPS packages to find and so forth).
Loxley
Deadly
Deadly

Paintjob

Post by Loxley »

That is a nice paintjob allikat and I did think about a PCC.
After checking the wiki though I noted it can't equip shield boosters and I didn't fancy running an Anarchy stuffed with platinum without really solid defences. :(
ouklos
Average
Average

Post by ouklos »

The wiki is often outdated for ships.
The PCC can take both Shields Boosters AND Military Shields.
(The most reliable way to check is to open the Config/shipyard.plist)