Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

what is your rig?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

bigmike20vt
Dangerous
Dangerous

what is your rig?

Post by bigmike20vt »

just curious what ship you guys choose to fly in?

am just in the cobra at the moment but just wondering if i should hold off maxing the ship out if i am going to sell it in the near future.

i hope to be a bounty hunter, then trading what ever cargo i scoop up
Fiat Coupe, helping motorists break the speed limit since 1993.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

I bought the first big ship I could afford when I had enough money. A standard Python. With an extended cargo bay I can haul 115 tons of goods.

The first problem is that it is quite slow, only manages 0.20 LM, compared to the Cobra's 0.35 LM. And only has 2 missile pylons. On the plus side it does have 7 energy banks though, so it can soak up a lot of punishment.

I've outfitted it with a lot of equipment though, I have an iron ass, so can safely go to most anarchy systems.

I think I may have bought the wrong ship really. Wish I had gone for a Python Class Cruiser instead, it's as fast as the Cobra and has a standard capacity of 145 tons.

So that is the ship I'm trying to save up for.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Lucidor
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Lucidor »

The cobra is imo just about the best ship out there. Fast, agile and decent cargo capacity. The Asp is a little bit faster, but how fun is it to not be able to scoop up your victims and drench them in maggots later on? (in some missions) :)
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

I'm sticking with my Cobra Mk III. It is the best multi-role ship (not counting any ship OXPs).

Lucidor... so where do you get your maggots... what system? Are they STARVED maggots... RABID maggots?

"You have just captured Elmer Cringe, a large horned bird from Ararus"

"Elmer Cringe is no longer in your cargo hold... you have a few Kg of fertilizer instead"
Sword, thy name is Cobra. And Cobra has fangs!
Lucidor
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Lucidor »

I don't remember exactly.. I think it was a foul mouthed golf player who ended his days that way.
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

I'm saving up for the Python. Although I shoot some pirates from time to time (192 kills atm), I'm mainly a trader and passenger transporter...
At the moment, I'm still in the ship I had from the start: the Cobra Mark III.
Lucidor
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Lucidor »

1263 kills since I started again last week. :) I've had an Oolite hiatus since late 2006.
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

Lucidor wrote:
..maggots
sounds rather like RealLife™ around here

the Python Class Cruiser is cute, yes, and that external view through the scoop is great! but I really go for the Boa Class Cruiser, there is little better available - although I do like the Falcon-S (Kestrel&Falcon.oxp) and Pallas (Pallas.oxp); this latter needs a bit of tweaking, and I pimp the Falcon a bit, I admit - but for normal business as usual it's the BoaCC every time :D

at present, however, I am using a shameless rat-boy Mosquito Fire
(marett_vol1_b.oxp) for a specific task and it is fun :roll: ..OK, but give it a try: my "fire" variant can't resist them steroids!
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

The Moray Starboat was a great starter ship, but I bought a Cobra Mk III when I could.
9000Parts
Average
Average

Post by 9000Parts »

Im flying a fully kitted out Boa. 165T of cargo, 2 passenger births, 5 missile pylons and 8 energy units. I also picked up a militery shield enhancement off a Dredger too and im more than happy to go dogfighting with cobras, kraits and asps.

Oh yeah, im flying on the keyboard as well :shock:
Fell
Average
Average

Post by Fell »

I have a progression through these, and metal rumped them all

cobra njx
military stigray
python
boa class cruiser
imperial courier
falcon m
tie interceptor
kirin

all good ships, allowing for slightly different handling, strategy etc

the boa is a great all round ship...upto 175 t cargo I think, bit slow for tough anarchy...

the falcon is my favourite all round ride though
aboard The Cry of Woe... carrion your cargo !

enjoying elite since acorn 80's
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

Chrisfs wrote:
The Moray Starboat was a great starter
recently I tried starting with a Cobra Mk I + passenger berth (to try out planetfall.oxp as a new Jameson) and looked at a MorayMedicalBoat, too. Was going to buy one, but the planet-side sleaze-quest fizzed out.. :(

does anyone know whether there's any difference between the Moray "Star" and "Medical" variants, apart from the paint job & the tendency of npc Medical boats to exude narcotics when shot??
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Fell wrote:
kirin
Woot! Another partially satisfied customer! :D
Fell
Average
Average

Post by Fell »

Woot! Another partially satisfied customer!

definately...the experience of seeing those tiny evasive ships, especially hood spitting cobras etc, fly into a wall of plasma is most satisfying...

now if it were a tad more manoevourable and had tardis like spatial qualities.... :D
aboard The Cry of Woe... carrion your cargo !

enjoying elite since acorn 80's
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

Fell wrote:
the boa (class cruiser) is a great all round ship...upto 175 t cargo I think, bit slow for tough anarchy...

the falcon is my favourite all round ride though
The boacc gets through anarchies ok with its good manoeuvrability & energy banks and with the military shields & NEU eats cobras for breakfast :mrgreen: I find

If you like the Falcon - and I am particularly fond of the stealth variant "Falcon-S" - then reading up on the history of Benulobiweed Inc is a very worthwhile activity. Their other ships are worth seeking out. Pallas flying saucer is excellent, can't get hold of a Merlin or some others, but I keep trying..

Incidently, what has happened to the transparent paint job on the Falcon-S in the (current?) release Oolite 1.73.4? It still looks pretty cool, but isn't transparent any more: is it just me?

TIE interceptor not bad at Anarchies, but good to scoop cargo/escPods here, too (hence would like to try Merlin).

that's prbly nuff ranting off me 4 now