Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

analogue joysticks?

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I believe you can use USB Overdrive to use a joystick under Mac OS X. Rough steps:
  • Install USB Overdrive.
  • Set your joystick axis settings to “Mouse Cursor: Absolute”.
  • Launch Oolite.
  • Enter full screen mode (command-F).
  • Launch ship.
  • Enable mouse control (shift-M).
harry747
Deadly
Deadly

Post by harry747 »

Ahruman wrote:
I believe you can use USB Overdrive to use a joystick under Mac OS X.
sorry to disappoint you, but i've already tried the USB overdrive approach. didn't work. see my previous posts in this thread.
MacBook pro, OSX 10.8.5, Xcode 5
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Hmm, yes. On further investigation, there’s no possible way absolute mode could work, and I must have hallucinated that it had worked for someone in the past. :-/
phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

bugger
harry747
Deadly
Deadly

Post by harry747 »

So we're back to my request: PLEASE add joystick support to the mac version!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

In short: probably not for a while. Nothing personal, it’s a triage thing; we want to get a “full” release done some time this century.
ovvldc
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ovvldc »

As long as we get that feature before someone builds a real life working Cobra Mk III.. :wink:

-Oz
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

I like how he quietly sneaked "century" rather than "decade" into that sentence :-)
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

give us 4 months, and we'll be more likely to use decade again! :P
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
harry747
Deadly
Deadly

Post by harry747 »

Ahruman wrote:
In short: probably not for a while.
<desperate>
:cry: WAAAAAAAAH!
</desperate>
Nubo
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Nubo »

This is probably common knowledge, but I'm having pretty good results using Gamepad Companion, to map my analog joystick to keyboard keys.

My logitech joystick has a hat switch and enough buttons to configure most in-flight commands right on the stick.

Now, surely it doesn't make me the Ace I could be with analogue control, But, it's sure a lot better than trying to chase pirates around the sky with friggin' arrow buttons!! :roll: Pretty close to the way the game was originally meant to be played, imo. A true analog joystick is probably better equipment than originally intended and might be considered to give the player an unfair advantage. Tho' I'm not necessarily opposed. I had no guilt years ago when I re-wired 2 4pdt switches into my C64 joystick to reverse the controls so that I could easily deal death from my rear-mounted Military Laser!! :wink:

Certainly good enough to make me glad I finally downloaded this game. It's the 1980's all over again, and that's high praise. :D
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Nubo wrote:
This is probably common knowledge, but I'm having pretty good results using Gamepad Companion, to map my analog joystick to keyboard keys.

My logitech joystick has a hat switch and enough buttons to configure most in-flight commands right on the stick.

Now, surely it doesn't make me the Ace I could be with analogue control, But, it's sure a lot better than trying to chase pirates around the sky with friggin' arrow buttons!! :roll: Pretty close to the way the game was originally meant to be played, imo. A true analog joystick is probably better equipment than originally intended and might be considered to give the player an unfair advantage. Tho' I'm not necessarily opposed. I had no guilt years ago when I re-wired 2 4pdt switches into my C64 joystick to reverse the controls so that I could easily deal death from my rear-mounted Military Laser!! :wink:

Certainly good enough to make me glad I finally downloaded this game. It's the 1980's all over again, and that's high praise. :D
Welcome Nubo - during my C64 days I used a stick from an Atari 2600 and learned to spin the stick so that the direction of the stick facing top was matched to the view I had on my screen - death - death - death!!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Nubo wrote:

Yes, I've been looking into the logitec's as a right hand solution. The left is covered with the nostromo. :D

Seems like a reasonably priced solution with some good programming behind it.
kcallis
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by kcallis »

Nubo wrote:

Just curious on what your configuration file looks like to get the gamepad working? I stumbled across the Logitech Game pad and now would like to put it to good use on the MacBook
NigelJK
Deadly
Deadly

Post by NigelJK »

I'm just getting a logitech dual action gamepad (PS2 style) controller working in conjunction with controllermate. I'll let you know how I'm getting on.