Dark Orbit?

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Dark Orbit?

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Just followed a link to it from Facebook Ad (annoyed at myself for doing so - it only encourages them)

Does anybody know what it is - anybody play?

http://en.darkorbit.bigpoint.com/?aid=1 ... 22&aip=833
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

No clue whatsoever.

However, my curiosity chip was activated, and led me here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkorbit
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

CheeseRedux wrote:
No clue whatsoever.

However, my curiosity chip was activated, and led me here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkorbit
Lots of words - not sure it tells me anything - quite importantly like - is it any good!?
Selezen wrote:
Makara
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Makara »

Hmmm - if it is anything like SeaFight (another of their games) you have to spend insane amounts of real money to avoid being slaughtered by other players.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

CheeseRedux wrote:
No clue whatsoever.

The whole content of the page looks like c&p'd from the game manual wholesale (and grammatically butchered at some point in the process).

If I was a Wikipedia user, I would start a deletion request, due to complete lack of notability. :wink:
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Commander McLane wrote:
CheeseRedux wrote:
No clue whatsoever.

The whole content of the page looks like c&p'd from the game manual wholesale (and grammatically butchered at some point in the process).

If I was a Wikipedia user, I would start a deletion request, due to complete lack of notability. :wink:
Having reminded myself of the thread and then followed the link to the actual wikipedia page can I ask would it be worth updating the Oolite page to include the recent review in which ever PC mag it was (link to thread to follow once I find it) - I don't have - nor would I ever want - an account with wikipedia so I'm not in a position to do this.
Selezen wrote:
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I am not sure that PC magazine article would qualify. It was an article about Elite, which had a small insert commenting on Oolite. Good for publicity in general, but maybe not important enough for Wikipedia.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

another_commander wrote:
I am not sure that PC magazine article would qualify. It was an article about Elite, which had a small insert commenting on Oolite. Good for publicity in general, but maybe not important enough for Wikipedia.
Less quotable/notable than Wolfwood's blogs? Absolutely no slight on Wolfwood intended by this - the site and his blogs are superb - but a national PC mag during an article about Elite deems it worthy to mention that Oolite even exits - surely worthy of inclusion? As I don;t know the criteria for documented evidence this is a genuine question about how Wikipedia works (or doesn't - given the hacking and slashing over pages that mention Thierry Henry and/or Sportsmanship at the moment)
Selezen wrote:
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

I took a look at some you tube vids and all I saw were servers steaming under the strain of overlaying a thousand ships collectivly mullering any hapless trader who happened to come along all in fake 3d.

I'll give the internet this; when it comes to online gaming they never miss an opportunity to set two (or more) complete strangers at each others throats like a bunch of fighting cocks and get them to pay for the privilage.

I think I'd rather remove my love spuds with a rusty spoon than play this.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

ClymAngus wrote:
I took a look at some you tube vids and all I saw were servers steaming under the strain of overlaying a thousand ships collectivly mullering any hapless trader who happened to come along all in fake 3d.

I'll give the internet this; when it comes to online gaming they never miss an opportunity to set two (or more) complete strangers at each others throats like a bunch of fighting cocks and get them to pay for the privilage.

I think I'd rather remove my love spuds with a rusty spoon than play this.
That's the impression I was beginning to form... (can I claim "great minds"? :wink: )
Selezen wrote:
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

I mean honestly can anyone actually tell me what the hell is supposed to be going on in this vid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAPsjSlGC58&feature=fvw

There's a hell of a lot of mullering, sure. But seriously, it looks like a slow motion explosion in a lighsabre factory. It's pretty, in a ponderous kind of way, but by god man! Look at the lag!
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

its one of those games that are supposed to be free to play

however at any significant point if you want to upgrade your ship/character you must pay real money to get some game credits, that you can spend on new Ships / Weapons / Super ammo

its combined with Levelling up so you much invest a lot of time playing it.

it has one goal only, to make you spend as much money as possible on upgrading / buying super weapons..

I played something called warpfire that was along the same lines, so it is just a tool that sits there on the internet and collects money.

You got to hand it to the makers it is a clever way of earning money that requires little investment once the initial development phases are over and servers has been setup..

The worst kind of these games comes from china

look here

http://www.danwei.org/electronic_games/ ... _in_zt.php
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
splunkjamma
Average
Average

Post by splunkjamma »

It's a load of crap tbh. Played it a while back to kill some time. No depth. Nill game play and a complete waste of time imho :?
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Less quotable/notable than Wolfwood's blogs? Absolutely no slight on Wolfwood intended by this - the site and his blogs are superb - but a national PC mag during an article about Elite deems it worthy to mention that Oolite even exits - surely worthy of inclusion?
While I beg to point out that there is no link to my blog from the Oolite Wiki page (only to the review I wrote some years ago for HookedGamers - which is a gaming site that currently gets about 100 000 unique visits a month), I know what you meant to say and agree wholeheartedly that the article on the printed magazine should also be added to the references.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Wolfwood wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Less quotable/notable than Wolfwood's blogs? Absolutely no slight on Wolfwood intended by this - the site and his blogs are superb - but a national PC mag during an article about Elite deems it worthy to mention that Oolite even exits - surely worthy of inclusion?
While I beg to point out that there is no link to my blog from the Oolite Wiki page (only to the review I wrote some years ago for HookedGamers - which is a gaming site that currently gets about 100 000 unique visits a month), I know what you meant to say and agree wholeheartedly that the article on the printed magazine should also be added to the references.
Phew! I was also refering to the fact that your review is used as a reference in the wikipedia article on Oolite. Apologies for any confusion.
Selezen wrote: