Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

...And now they want the Oolite entry removed from Wikipedia

Post by Rxke »

:!: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oolite_%28computer_game%29

Not notable enough, not enough reviews...
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Well, is it notable? Are there any reviews other than the Linux Format one mentioned on the AfD discussion?

(I do find it amusing that things like this get AfDed when there are moderately obscure TV series with a page for every episode.)
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

There was at least one review in a 'real' mag, and it was discussed in outworld, but it has been deleted from the archives, anyone remember?
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

So how can we, the community help? <non techie question>
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

isn't it notable that the # of downloads is above several hundred thousand, as one can see @ Berlios?
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

I guess it's up to the video game project to decide just how many reviews or references any game, commercial or otherwise, needs before it can be considered notable. Plenty of successful indie games with a big following may have lots of references over the web but few mentions in the print media. A quick look at the list of deletions already agreed shows some pretty inconsistent decisions (i.e. a game may notable if it has a commercial release, even though few meaningful references are to be found anywhere).

Oolite's biggest claim to notability is that it's the probably the only cross-platform Elite clone that's legally available (though we might want to double check with Frontier's lawyers on that one). Other space trading derivatives are out there but only Oolite features the legendary ships and locations from the original game.
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

I wrote a review a while ago for an online gaming mag, here:

http://www.hookedgamers.com/articles/review/214/oolite

And I've also mentioned it once or twice in my blog, here:

http://www.hookedgamers.com/blogs/Wolfwood/

In fact, the title image is from Oolite...

If it would help, I could perhaps write another article - a revisited review, if you please - based on the new features since the original article. At least the new fabulous screenshots that people have taken would be great material for one...
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

I've just typed "Oolite +review" into Google.co.uk, and that search returned 49,100 articles.
Wikipedia wrote:
You can support Wikipedia by making a tax-deductible donation.
"Sorry, guys. I'd rather spend that money on getting my balls waxed."
"That's no vicious Treeoid. That's my wife."
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

JohnnyBoy wrote:
I've just typed "Oolite +review" into Google.co.uk, and that search returned 49,100 articles.
Wikipedia wrote:
You can support Wikipedia by making a tax-deductible donation.
The cynic in me says perhaps that's why they are doing it.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Well, I made a comment to the talk page, basically outlining that as long as the IP is used in a non-profit way without besmirching the good name of Mssr Braben et al then there should be no problem, which is basically what the GNU license is all about.

I also pointed out that the Asteroids and PacMan entries have sections outlining clones of the games - in fact Pacman actually has a whole page devoted to clones of the original game.

Someone should definitely quote the amount of downloads to see if that qualifies the Oolite entry as "noteworthy".
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

well they are fast becomming the encyclopedia that was...
wiki itself wrote:
An encyclopedia (or encyclopædia) is a comprehensive written compendium that contains information on either all branches of knowledge or a particular branch of knowledge. Encyclopedias are divided into articles with one article on each subject covered. The articles on subjects in an encyclopedia are usually accessed alphabetically by article name and can be contained in one volume or many volumes, depending on the amount of material included.[1]

“ Indeed, the purpose of an encyclopedia is to collect knowledge disseminated around the globe; to set forth its general system to the men with whom we live, and transmit it to those who will come after us, so that the work of preceding centuries will not become useless to the centuries to come; and so that our offspring, becoming better instructed, will at the same time become more virtuous and happy, and that we should not die without having rendered a service to the human race.—Diderot[2]
that was my last usage of Wikipedia... ever... i hope knol will do better...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Oolite got a four-star "Editor's Choice" review in Macworld in January 2007, here, which seems pretty notable to me. The award is now mentioned on the wikipedia page.
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

THIS POST IS A JOKE, IF YOU DO NOT LIKE JOKES, SKIP THIS POST

Quick! Get that bell guy and/or that other one to say something about oolite! Will that help? How about black mail/bribe? Wait, Better idea; Master, should we put those wikipedia video game people into retirement?

Don't Panic: FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

FSOneblin wrote:
Wait, Better idea; Master, should we put those wikipedia video game people into retirement?
Most definitely! But, we are up against the gravest danger of all with those wikipedia editors:

The dumb side of the farce! Much stronger than the dark side it can be, my young apprentice ...
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Looks like the macworld article did it! :D

People are voting to keep it. :D