Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

lex_talionis
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lex_talionis »

Selezen wrote:
I still say we should seriously consider the Griff ships or the Neolite series as official replacements for the basic ship set. They could be selected through the Options menu, maybe?

I just love all this stuff. Well done! fantastic work!! Gush!!!
Why not package them in a 'total replacement' OXP and have it be an official mod package that comes with the download?
edible poet? onna stick?
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

lex_talionis wrote:
Selezen wrote:
I still say we should seriously consider the Griff ships or the Neolite series as official replacements for the basic ship set. They could be selected through the Options menu, maybe?

I just love all this stuff. Well done! fantastic work!! Gush!!!
Why not package them in a 'total replacement' OXP and have it be an official mod package that comes with the download?
Both Griff's and Simon B's ships use shaders so to anybody without shader support you'd be saying - even though you can't use it - you must download twice as much file as you can actually make use of...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Although speaking as one of said shaderless players, I'd have to say that Griff's ships still look superb in-game anyway (and probably Simon's do too, I just know of Griff's as they ended up in OSE).
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I can give you an official “no comment” at this time. :-)
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

about using shader heavy oxps in non shader enabled Oolite:
Oolite allows you to specify a texture to use when shaders aren't available so a lot of the glow effects could be baked into this texture, plus the whole 'non shader version' texture could be brightened up a lot to make up for the missing specular shine - actually, thinking about it, using oolite's materials - you can get a ramped up specular shinyness for the whole ship even in shaderless systems, so the shiny ships can still be shiny even on shader-less computers.
i wish got paid for everytime i wrote 'shiny'
lfnfan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lfnfan »

shiny in the Firefly sense also
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Griff wrote:
about using shader heavy oxps in non shader enabled Oolite:
Oolite allows you to specify a texture to use when shaders aren't available so a lot of the glow effects could be baked into this texture, plus the whole 'non shader version' texture could be brightened up a lot to make up for the missing specular shine - actually, thinking about it, using oolite's materials - you can get a ramped up specular shinyness for the whole ship even in shaderless systems, so the shiny ships can still be shiny even on shader-less computers.
i wish got paid for everytime i wrote 'shiny'
It's like an episode of Firefly! :wink: And Ahruman would be pleased too as nobody seems to be using the materials properties very much...
Selezen wrote:
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

lfnfan wrote:
shiny in the Firefly sense also
D'oh didn't read far enough down - you beat me to it!
Selezen wrote:
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
It's like an episode of Firefly! :wink: And Ahruman would be pleased too as nobody seems to be using the materials properties very much...
You may want to take a closer look into a few of my OXPs ;) For example Second Wave...
Last edited by Thargoid on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lfnfan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lfnfan »

for the first and last time, I'm sure [/doff hat]
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Thargoid wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
You may want to take a closer look into a few of my OXPs ;) For example Second Wave...
Of course I meant "almost" nobody... :roll: :oops:
Selezen wrote:
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

Right now it looks like we have "flavour" oxps. We'll probably end up grouping oxps according to the various flavours - so well have those that go with neolite and those that go with the Griffs Dark Future version.

Neolites is designed to look good without shaders and the maps that the shaders use tend to compress better than the diffuse maps. We may end up with an oolite lite (hmmm: "oolliittee"?) edition - perhaps the default artwork part becomes a download option?

We are way off having a high spec takeover of the old game - just yet.

Right now it is not really a problem - anyone who really cares is, of course, free to repackage the oxps they care about. This is part of why it is good to go with the open license distribution - but it only works if people take advantage of it.
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
"Everything is perfect down to every last flaw..."
HBT: The Book of Verse - Principia Discordia
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Thargoid wrote:
Although speaking as one of said shaderless players, I'd have to say that Griff's ships still look superb in-game anyway (and probably Simon's do too, I just know of Griff's as they ended up in OSE).
Hopefully not for much longer! :wink:
Selezen wrote:
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Simon B wrote:
Right now it looks like we have "flavour" oxps. We'll probably end up grouping oxps according to the various flavours - so well have those that go with neolite and those that go with the Griffs Dark Future version.

Neolites is designed to look good without shaders and the maps that the shaders use tend to compress better than the diffuse maps. We may end up with an oolite lite (hmmm: "oolliittee"?) edition - perhaps the default artwork part becomes a download option?

We are way off having a high spec takeover of the old game - just yet.

Right now it is not really a problem - anyone who really cares is, of course, free to repackage the oxps they care about. This is part of why it is good to go with the open license distribution - but it only works if people take advantage of it.
As somebody who installed Neolite knowing it replaced the original set, I have also installed Griff's ships and they co-exist happily in my vision of the Ooniverse (although I miss the original Cobby3 - I may have to put that back!) - I love your new ship designs - they're a good (and natural) half-way house between Neolite's smoother lines and Griff's industrial lines.
Selezen wrote:
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

Oh yeah - the original idea was to have a classic ships part - you just need a plist entry titled cobra3-classic, like_ship to the cobra3, but with the model set to the classic. Anyone wants to make a complimentary classics oxp can meet me in the fancy classics thread - however, Griff and others have been at me privately to use shipdata_replace.plist instead.
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
"Everything is perfect down to every last flaw..."
HBT: The Book of Verse - Principia Discordia