Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

help GREEN HORN WITH NEW OOLITE CRASHES-fixed

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

In the main Oolite folder you will find OoliteRS.pdf.
Much useful info in there.

The Wiki is also your friend.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

There are a few tools that can convert back and forth between .obj files and oolite .dat files. We had a recent talk about that here:

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=6865
and we've got a wiki entry here:
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OXP_howto_model

the conversion programs are here:
http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/ool ... onverters/

Right click & save the ones you need.
I've personally only used Dat2ObjTex.py & Dat2Obj.py to go from Oolite to wavefront's .obj format and Obj2DatTex.py to convert the model to the internal Oolite format.
They work fine, but you need to have the free Python language installed on your computer to be able to use them.

Cheers,

Kaks.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Makara
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Makara »

El Viejo's recommendation can't be faulted - but the quick answer is...
christina wrote:
but cant find the station ..
is there a quick way ..or is this part of the new game ? playing hunt the station.?
is there a way of bringing up a list of all traffic in the area . ,selecting one and radioing them and locking on with autodrive/.
( like frontier)
Once you get near the planet you will be given a new target - which is the system's main station. You may well get the knack of spotting them from withspace point once you're used to it. Later on you may well treat yourself to an Advanced Space Compass which lets you select the station (or at least its navigation buoy) directly.

No equivalent to Frontier's system map - which is a shame as leaning on the FF button in that was great for picking up individual pirate groups. Although the population of a system is generally consistent, you can only really interact with ships within scanner range.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Makara wrote:
El Viejo's recommendation can't be faulted - but the quick answer is...
Very diplomatic, Makara.

Thank you, I needed a smile this morning, after wading through "certain other threads".

Regards
christina
Competent
Competent

Post by christina »

HELLO EVERYONE!

couldnt reply at work ... dam boss hangng around alll day..

well to answer your question .. i Live in Adelaide South Australia.
i moved here from, Stamford-UK, in 1993.

i will be grabbing those recommendation links ASAP.
and having a bash all some OXP..
BUT not until i give the game a good bashing..

TO infinity and beyond that star ..the one second to the left and up a bit :D
DAm that boss..
does any one have a oxp which "removes boss from 10 metre area".
OH NO ! just had a GREAT IDEA .

some one PLEEEASEE make a quick hide oolite button.. just like that old game doom.

some thing like "space bar and enter" brings up a fake word screen.. or photoshop screen ..
that would be cool i could play at twork..
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

christina wrote:
some one PLEEEASEE make a quick hide oolite button.. just like that old game doom.

some thing like "space bar and enter" brings up a fake word screen.. or photoshop screen ..
that would be cool i could play at twork..
If you are on Windows, the key combo is there: Alt-Tab. Just make sure to have an innocent Excel sheet running behind Oolite at all times.

I can't believe I just gave advice on how to cheat at work ;-)

Edit: I just found out this does not work in full screen, only on windowed mode. Never mind, I guess I can be partially OK with my conciousness again.
Last edited by another_commander on Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
christina
Competent
Competent

Post by christina »

why work when you can oolite...

i think i have a t shirt idea.....
Cody

Post by Cody »

christina wrote:
This might help.
"Start+m" minimises all open windows, instantly, even Oolite in full screen mode.
Have a "suitable app" open on the task bar to switch to...
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

I love the devious thinking... useful headsup for me too... I'm a 'boss' :twisted:

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Cody

Post by Cody »

drew wrote:
I love the devious thinking...
Devious... moi?
christina
Competent
Competent

DREW WHO?

Post by christina »

HAY! boss Drew . checked out your blog..

we must be the same age group.. not x, or y. but the "with out us where would computers be?"
a generation who supported the dawn of computers ,buying systems and games...

HOW sad is this... i still have, stashed away, a home built MAc 2( i loved that star trek game.. recall ..lots of stats and a small window with icons for space objects?) It was ONE complete module.keyboard ,montior in one HEAVY unit..

BUT THATs NOT ALL ... stashed away and all still working,a complete history ,commodre 64, 48 k specy. amstrad with it's green screen monitor, intel game system,and an amiga 1200 with EXTRA DRIVE!...WOW.

and i do remember when elite came out.. it was so different it earned a 'space' on the news at ten.

and i grew up SE ENGland.. my dad owned the TIGER MOTH pub at rochester airport????...ermm
this is not the place to chat ...is it?.

Patrick MOoore .. know how you feel.. i met terry patchett in london ,he signed a book .. i jsust smiled....dumb struck.. :oops:
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: DREW WHO?

Post by DaddyHoggy »

christina wrote:

we must be the same age group.. not x, or y. but the "with out us where would computers be?"

HOW sad is this... i still have, stashed away, a home built MAc 2( i loved that star trek game.. recall ..lots of stats and a small window with icons for space objects?) It was ONE complete module.keyboard ,montior in one HEAVY unit..

BUT THATs NOT ALL ... stashed away and all still working,a complete history ,commodre 64, 48 k specy. amstrad with it's green screen monitor, intel game system,and an amiga 1200 with EXTRA DRIVE!...WOW.

and i do remember when elite came out.. it was so different it earned a 'space' on the news at ten.

and i grew up SE ENGland.. my dad owned the TIGER MOTH pub at rochester airport????...ermm

Patrick MOoore .. know how you feel.. i met terry patchett in london ,he signed a book .. i jsust smiled....dumb struck.. :oops:
Ah my kind of girl! Upstairs I have an Atari 2600, 2x C64s, 3x A500s - all working. I visited the C64 in the Smithsonian in DC when I lived in the US - the world's best selling home computer model - ever...

I still own the original C64 version of Elite, still boxed, with the Guide and the Novella, the original Amiga 3.5" too (but not the box :x )

And the great and mighty TP - I tried to buy him a Banana Daiquiri after a book signing in Middlesbrough, but the pub was open (for cleaning) but not serving ( :evil: ) - but he remembered me the next time we met, which was nice.

Good to have you onboard Christina :)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
christina
Competent
Competent

QUESTION i have retextured somof the OXP models..how do i

Post by christina »

As i wrote earlier..
i still have my original elite frontier.
box is perfect and all books + discs ( the extra disc ,whch was sent out on request .. with bug fixes ) and ..to top that . the shop docket from future zone peterbough!.)..am i a sad old bat ...or WHAT!?
YEs cos dispite having access to top end pc which dont blink at fallout3,oblivion al n th ehighest settings..

i still fire up the specy to play highway emcounters and my pirate copy of elite :oops: :oops: ...( wait for the tape to load).

QUESTION i have retextured some of the OXP models..how do i put the RE ZIPPED files on to OOLiTE ?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: QUESTION i have retextured somof the OXP models..how

Post by Screet »

christina wrote:
QUESTION i have retextured some of the OXP models..how do i put the RE ZIPPED files on to OOLiTE ?
AFAIK you only repaint the pics, replace the originals in the oxp you've installed and then launch oolite with shift held down to force flush the cache.

Simon_B did start some "how-to" thread when he made the neolite version of ships - I guess that it would be some good help for doing something like that yourself. Maybe give the search option a try for that author...

Talking about old elite - did anyone else modify colors from Atari ST (or Amiga) Elite by simply reassigning the colors in an image and then repaint the main screen to look like the good old C64 Elite? ;)

Screet
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: DREW WHO?

Post by drew »

christina wrote:

8)

You've done better than me, though I still have my ZX Spectrum in the attic, Elite and its lenslok. Confused my kids with it a few months ago. (20 mins to load one game, like huh?).

We are a cool generation. As Aqua's song goes - 'Back to the 80s!' :lol: I kind of miss those years, but it's all rose tinted glasses of course! That's why I love this BB and Oolite, it's a pure remixed retro nostalgia indulge-fest :D (dontcha want me baby... wooooooo!)

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter