Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

caduceus turrets don't seem to work

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

grappler
Harmless
Harmless

caduceus turrets don't seem to work

Post by grappler »

Hi, recently installed neocaduceus.oxp and I upgraded to a cad omega when I found it for sale.

It looks cool and all but are the turrets purely cosmetic? When I'm in combat I'm blasting pirates with my lasers as I did in my Cobra. When I do the external view I can see the turrets move and kind of track different things but there's nothing firing beyond my military lasers (which I'm doing manually)

Am I missing something? Thanks ahead.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Turrets are short range (they're designed as defensive armaments) - from memory they fire at 5km or less onto a targetted hostile ship. Given you're commenting about Military lasers would it be that the enemy was out of turret range?

Oh and greetings, welcome hiya, Riedquaat and all the usual stuff until DH gets here ;)
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: caduceus turrets don't seem to work

Post by Screet »

grappler wrote:
Hi, recently installed neocaduceus.oxp and I upgraded to a cad omega when I found it for sale.

It looks cool and all but are the turrets purely cosmetic? When I'm in combat I'm blasting pirates with my lasers as I did in my Cobra. When I do the external view I can see the turrets move and kind of track different things but there's nothing firing beyond my military lasers (which I'm doing manually)

Am I missing something? Thanks ahead.
1) Caduceus turrets only fire to the sides
2) You need to have the ship targeted
3) The ship needs to be hostile

...and since I did not yet hand out the code changes to make turrets switchable (on/off), it's surely one or more of the points above which caused them to sit still ;)

Screet
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Thargoid wrote:
Turrets are short range (they're designed as defensive armaments) - from memory they fire at 5km or less onto a targetted hostile ship. Given you're commenting about Military lasers would it be that the enemy was out of turret range?

Oh and greetings, welcome hiya, Riedquaat and all the usual stuff until DH gets here ;)
Everybody else has covered the technicalities so that just leaves me to lay down the Welcome Mat and say "Welcome to the friendliest board this side of Riedquat"(tm)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Makara
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Makara »

Thargoid wrote:

Screet wrote:
1) Caduceus turrets only fire to the sides
2) You need to have the ship targeted
3) The ship needs to be hostile

...and since I did not yet hand out the code changes to make turrets switchable (on/off), it's surely one or more of the points above which caused them to sit still ;)

Screet
Merging the two, we get...
4) Caduceus side turrets have a range of about 4km

They can generally pick up on stuff outside of about 20º of the centre line (forwards anyway, haven't checked backwards properly yet)
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Makara wrote:
Merging the two, we get...
4) Caduceus side turrets have a range of about 4km
Effective range on ships not heading directly for the player seems to be around 2km as otherwise the turrets will miss all the time, but I've seen shots fired on targets almost 6km away.

Screet
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

and they say my ship is "just too powerful" for this game. It's a tank, sure but it's a panther 3, not a tiger and certainly not a T-34.

Monk ships, now those are the T-34 of this game.
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

Caduceus are fun in that often, for me, a ship does an attack run past me, so I only get to fire on it for short time before it passes me. The turrets are an extra shot. A few times I have turned around to look for it and the ship is gone as the turrets took it out.
Makara
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Makara »

ClymAngus wrote:
and they say my ship is "just too powerful" for this game.
For unexpanded Oolite it certainly is. But if you want a chance against a Thargoid Battleship then it is definitely the ship of choice 8)
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Makara wrote:
ClymAngus wrote:
and they say my ship is "just too powerful" for this game.
For unexpanded Oolite it certainly is. But if you want a chance against a Thargoid Battleship then it is definitely the ship of choice 8)
Well if people will keep on making these player annihilator oxps.....

Take it away Chris;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMZwZiU0 ... re=related
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Makara wrote:
But if you want a chance against a Thargoid Battleship then it is definitely the ship of choice 8)
Pish. I've taken down Thargoid Battleships in my Anaconda, Cobra MkII, Wolf MkII SE, Neo Fer-De-Lance, Appaloosa Cruiser and even a Python.

And I do mean the Thargoid/Thargon Battleships here, not the vanilla Oolite Thargoids.