Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Enemies are too strong

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Commander McLane wrote:
I would suspect your main problem is the the Ferdy is actually not a very good ship.
The standard Oolite version isn't very good, the neolite version is a very different animal. 8)
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Commander Learner wrote:
How is the "Galactic Navy" oxp mission triggered??
You have to be at least Competent, and docked in a Navy SecCom station – then you can volunteer for the Navy Reserves.

There's information on pretty much all the missions – OXP and built-in – on the wiki, here. The page does contain some spoilers though.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Commander Learner wrote:
2.Have any of you tried modifying the plist in the equipments part under "resources" ie:altering an equipment's price,availability etc? I tried it, it worked sometimes and sometimes it did not. Eventually, it reached a stage where the game could not read the plist anymore. So I re-installed and fixed the problem.
We generally discourage altering the plists inside Oolite.app.

Better you c&p it wholesale into the "Config" folder within your "AddOns" folder. If there is no "Config" folder inside your "AddOns" folder, create it first. This works pretty much the same as a "Config" folder inside an OXP, except you don't need to create a whole OXP for it. Any changes made to a plist inside this folder will override the original plist inside Oolite. And if you mess it up, you don't need to re-install Oolite, but just throw it away and c&p the original again.
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

..fly if you want to be an Iron Ass?
the excellent advice (above) will be in every case improved upon the purchase of a Boa Class Cruiser :mrgreen:
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Or, even better, the GRIFF BOA!!!
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

I will see if I can steal one...................
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Steal a ship? Is that even possible?
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

well it might be if I knew where to look

I've downloaded griff_arcelite_ships.oxp

..is it in there?
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Ehh no there's a dl link in the ruining the classics thread somewhere.
SubV
Above Average
Above Average

Post by SubV »

Yes, some NPCs are too strong, especially the ships with three-coloured front laser. I've just been attacked by Cobra Mk.3, which managed to destroy my fully upgraded ship in no time. Also, the E.C.M. system is pretty useless against red missiles fired by such ships.

Adding such powerful opponents with overpowered shields was a big mistake, in my opinion -- that completely ruins the balance of the game.

:(
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

You can have a great ship and still be in trouble. If you're new, you may want to do some practice. I'm not a great fighter and have leaned on the occasional energy bomb to get my current Above Average rating.
A good pilot knows how to avoid fights in the first place.
fuel Injectors are your friend.
Also if you want to avoid a fight, stay out of the main space lane.
When you enter a system, find the planet, then move up or down until it's just on the edge of your compass, Jump drive for abit (I count to 20), then center the planet again and you'll usually be fine for the rest of the trip.

Of course for people for whom fighting is a big part, practice makes perfect as they say, so save often.
My regular ship was a Moray Star Boat, nice ship though it only had two missles. Good for beginners because you can sell your standard issue Cobra MK III and get a fully tricked out Moray for it (without hacking the save file or anything). Recently though, I made enough to buy back a Cobra MKIII just as fully tricked out. A few cross galaxy passenger flights supplmented by lots of gold/platnium.gem trading will do wonders for the bank account.

I do have a 'garage' of 'fun ships' and have occasionally taken a Cadeus out to an anarchy world just to see what it is like. The scariest ships are the Black Monk gunships. I swear one of them shot my ecm hardened missle out of the sky.
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

Npc ships are not that hard. Try to attack ships from behind not many of the ships use rear lasers on you. When they fire missiles if ecm does not work injectors are your friend and can easily outrun a missile until its fuel runs out, then circle round and move in for the kill.
STE.+ Firefly/Dragonfly + BlackJacksbullion v.1.23 link below.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ca16 ... f6e8ebb871
SubV
Above Average
Above Average

Post by SubV »

Thank you for advice. I have no problem gunning down a Black Monks gunship (or even cruiser)... but those Cobras with multi-coloured lasers and are incredibly strong.

I've already found the OXP where such ships are coming from -- this is Renegades 3.0 OXP.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

SubV wrote:
Yes, some NPCs are too strong, especially the ships with three-coloured front laser. I've just been attacked by Cobra Mk.3, which managed to destroy my fully upgraded ship in no time. Also, the E.C.M. system is pretty useless against red missiles fired by such ships.
Its mainly your own mistake. Just add the ships you like and don't add ships like the regenerades.oxp if you don't want them, it is as easy as that. regenerades.oxp was just written for those that can't find a challenge in the normal ships.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

The ships are as good as never too strong - the viewpoint is too rigid :wink:

You can escape nearly any combat situation in any oxp - if you have a witchspace injector and two fuel tanks as reserve onboard. Costs for that are in the region of 2000Cr investment or so. So you have that after around five hours of beginner gameplay.

When in a situation like the one you describe, RUN and do the evasive maneuvers, and switch to "J" torus drive as soon as possible.

Hope that helps 8)

L