Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Enemies are too strong

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander Learner
Dangerous
Dangerous

Enemies are too strong

Post by Commander Learner »

Greetings Oolite pilots,
I have a small problem which is: there are some pirates that are amazingly strong. I fly up to them and the scanner identifies them as "Offender",and they start shooting at me right at that instance. The irritating thing is that one strike from their laser completely consumes the Front Shield!!! So that means I am space dust in 20 seconds. Is this normal or is there something wrong with the game?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Do you have OXPs installed? Which ones? Some of the OXPs around add extremely tough opponents, which a Jameson has no hope against.

Normally things at the beginning of the game are manageable, but in many occasions you will find yourself fighting opponents of far superior firepower, even in the standard game. In these cases, you either run or hyper out. Yes, running away is something that you will need to consider with Oolite, at least until you equip your ship and make it combat-ready.
Commander Learner
Dangerous
Dangerous

Thanks, but I fly a Fer-de-Lance which only has 2 Energy banks. Could this be the problem? But I already have the Shield Booster upgrade.

2.By the way, what ships do you all fly if you want to be an Iron Ass?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I'm a traditionalist - I stick with the Cobra Mk III. All tooled-up, not much can take it (unless heavily outnumbered).
An aft-mounted Laser is vital!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Commander Learner wrote:
2.By the way, what ships do you all fly if you want to be an Iron Ass?
Why, Cobra MKIII of course. Are there other ships, too? ;-)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Right-on, Commander.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Pansen
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Pansen »

Some of the pirates are powerful, even with upgrades - I'm flying a Caduceus with a navy energy unit, military shields and plasma turrets, as well as plenty of other equipment, and still get destroyed from time to time - even against 'standard' pirates!

The Caduceus is very powerful, as is the SuperCobra - I also like the Mussurana - really agile. These are all OXP ships, and pretty expensive!

Would agree with the others - an aft military laser is a must, since it means you have something to switch to when your front laser overheats.
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Sure, yall might be cobby fans, but face it: My fully pimped Imperial Courier could chew you up and spit you out. By fully pimped, I don't just mean mil lasers all over, I mean a fully automatic AMS and cascade missiles. There's no competition between it and a CMK3
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

The toughest NPC opponents I've fought have been pirate Dragon M's. They're fast, relatively low profile, and incredibly tough. They can absorb more direct hit damage from conventional weapons than any other ship flying. It usually takes two missile hits followed by a hard mil laser barrage to bring one down. Not to mention having to lean on the ECM because of the amount of missiles they have to throw at you. And forget fighting one at close range, they have strong turrets.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

Hi Commander L,
Welcome to the Ooniverse, did anyone warn you that it is very addictive?
I alternate between my Caduceus and super cobra, both fully kitted out, Don't have to run away much in either, though some I don't even think about taking on, like the military Imperial courier.

Might be an idea to run or avoid the main space lanes until you have at least military lasers and all the usual defense stuff.
A hard head missile usually distracts a powerfull enemy enough for you to get away.

You might want something with decent cargo space to get the credits to buy all the stuff you need to be iron ass. The Python Class Cruiser is ideal for that. It's an oxp ship and not as expensive as some of the others.

Happy hunting
A
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
[shameless plug]
The toughest NPC opponents I've fought have been pirate Dragon M's. They're fast, relatively low profile, and incredibly tough. They can absorb more direct hit damage from conventional weapons than any other ship flying. It usually takes two missile hits followed by a hard mil laser barrage to bring one down. Not to mention having to lean on the ECM because of the amount of missiles they have to throw at you. And forget fighting one at close range, they have strong turrets.
[/shameless plug]
Fixed that for you.
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
lfnfan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lfnfan »

greetings Commander L

I've never flown a Fer-de-Lance, but have finished off a few during my travels. Fastest I got one to vaporise was in about 5 seconds, after sticking it with sustained mil laser fire.

I fly a Cobra III at the moment with most of the standard offensive/ defensive trimmings (injectors, enhanced targeting, military shields, naval energy unit, mil lasers front and back, hardened missiles and a Q bomb in the rack). Things can still go to pieces very rapidly in the face of four or five offenders.

But that's probably down to my piloting skills; ymmv :)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I would suspect your main problem is the the Ferdy is actually not a very good ship.

You know, all the hype about its interior design is basically just marketing speech to cover the embarrassing fact that its specs suck. :P
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Oh, back in the day (fills slipper with tobacco) the Ferdy was a mean old ship, right enough, but time rolled on and, while all the other yards were beefing up their power-transfer conduits and shield harmonics, ZPG were buffing all the rough edges off the cargo bay doors and adding endless layers of wormwax to the interior cladding. Sad, really. It used to be the ship of choice for top-rank bounty hunters: now it's a just a yacht.
Commander Learner
Dangerous
Dangerous

Wow,thanks for all the advice. Anyway, I'll try getting the Imperial Courier and tool it up.

2.Have any of you tried modifying the plist in the equipments part under "resources" ie:altering an equipment's price,availability etc? I tried it, it worked sometimes and sometimes it did not. Eventually, it reached a stage where the game could not read the plist anymore. So I re-installed and fixed the problem.

3.How is the "Galactic Navy" oxp mission triggered??

Thanks for your time,
please reply.
Commander L.