Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

The Oolite Extended Project - Fork, no oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ..

Post by pmw57 »

Lestradae wrote:
Do you all three concur, can this work like that, criticism, discussion, etc.?
<farmyard noises>

I'll take that for a yes.
A trumble a day keeps the doctor away, and the tax man;
even the Grim Reaper keeps his distance.
-- Paul Wilkins
matthewfarmery
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by matthewfarmery »

sounds good to me, then we should be a well oiled machine

just another update, Oolite hasn't crashed yet, got the thing in the background, been stable as a rock :D
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

A new thread has been posted regarding Combat Computers messages.
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=91163#91163

In the red team is Lestradae, and in the blue team is Screet.

A decision on the content of the message updated is to be arrived at.

Let the battle commence.
-- Paul Wilkins
matthewfarmery
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by matthewfarmery »

updated my sig to refer people to that thread,
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Lestradae wrote:
1) The starting point for the further script reworking is the Screet-reworked pmw57 - version of the scripts which matthewfarmery has linked in his sig - OK everyone? They seem to run without crashes on at least four systems now.
Really, I did not do that much to them...I'm simply a bit more defensive in some coding situations by adding security checks even when the current version won't need them...

I think pmw57 modified his versions further (as he wrote earlier), thus I think the best approach is to continue work on them, compare mine against original 0.70 scripts and see if something is in there that should be added to the WIP...maybe I understand things wrong, but your point one sounds like pmw should update what I changed...and that sounds like wasting pretty much work. If he'd update his versions with the changes I made compared to your version (or that one he linked earlier) it should be all fine?!?

Anyway...I currently would even need some idea what to do next ;) I did find something in the fuel collector today (a bug that rewards too much fuel upon kills) and did send it to pmw57 and did raise the question about the drones, but aside from that, I did not make further changes. I guess when it comes to js coding guidelines being matched, he's much better at that than me. When I'd knew for something specific to look (like log messages or reports about wrong behaviour) I can do that...if I am asked to look at some specific script, I too can do that, but there are surely more experienced people on the board concerning many of the scripts ;)

Screet
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

Commander McLane wrote:
For this very reason a special event was defined for ship scripts: playerWillExitSystem. This event informs all ship scripts of all ships in system A that the player is no longer there, and after a split second all of them will cease to exist. So it is the task of each ship script to react to this event by taking certain actions.
Do you think that the Ship class should be updated with that information?
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite ... ence:_Ship
-- Paul Wilkins
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

The thread Updated OSE NPC timer scripts has been created.
The first message contains a summary of the scripts, and links to the appropriate discussions.

The discussion threads relating to the OSE scripts will be notified in this thread as well.
For example: Behemoth carrier update for OSE

Does anyone feel like putting the OSE code up on Google Code or somewhere similar?
Being able to use SVN to manage the code updates will help to resolve many issues.
-- Paul Wilkins
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

matthewfarmery, could you update pmw57's newest versions into the batch downloadable from your sig?

Thanks in advance! :D

L
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

Lestradae wrote:
matthewfarmery, could you update pmw57's newest versions into the batch downloadable from your sig?
As an advisory, the CaduceusAutorepair.js has more work that needs to be done on it.

Anyone feel like deciding if the repairs should stay at the same chance of occurring (70%) as it is now, or if the comments in the script about it being based on the system tech level should be done instead?

Some input on a decision regarding it would be welcome as well.
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=91221#91221

I'll post here again when the ship timer scripts are all done, to let you know that they're ready, including the zipped compilation of them.
-- Paul Wilkins
matthewfarmery
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by matthewfarmery »

google is making an open source wave addon that fits this, only problem is its invite only until the code has been finalised, it would if one or 2 get a invite then invite the rest, it could solve our problems, other then that, a SVN repo, probably be a better idea, not sure how to set that up?

saying that, box.net allows people to share one folder, maybe if L could invite, Im already a member, as I thought it could be handy, otherwise not sure how else to keep us all on the same page?
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

The OSE NPC timer scripts have been made, and are ready to be downloaded and tested.
ose npc timer scripts.7z
-- Paul Wilkins
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

matthewfarmery wrote:
saying that, box.net allows people to share one folder, maybe if L could invite, Im already a member, as I thought it could be handy, otherwise not sure how else to keep us all on the same page?
If you tell me how exactly to do that I'll do.
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: .

Post by pmw57 »

Lestradae wrote:
matthewfarmery wrote:
If you tell me how exactly to do that I'll do.
Where you see a box.net folder, click the blue dropdown button and select "Invite Collaborators"

Also see: Help › Collaboration

Edit: Managing change is going to be the trouble there though. Especially if you upload a large change to a script, and I helpfully wipe it out by uploading the previous version with a spelling correction.

SVN and other things like Google Wave help to easily and effectively manage code in an ever-changing environment from many people.
-- Paul Wilkins
matthewfarmery
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by matthewfarmery »

Im looking into a SVN solution, so watch this space

edit

I have a hosting account that has SVN installed, Im looking at how to set it up and see if I can allow people to commit, I need a bit of time, but if possible I may be able to offer SVN for this project :D

scratch that, it looks pretty tricky to setup adn allow people to have access, have to look for another means, sorry
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Perhaps for the moment, let's stay at the debate here.

Discuss options, at the end we find a consensus upon which scripts to use and matthewfarmery updates his sig.

When the scripts have been timer-secured plus optimised, this work here will basically have been done.

I will then include the special ship options that are still missing from 585 of 600 ships, create a manual and there we go. Katharsis is at this minute (again) working on the program that's going to create that functionality.

OK all around for the moment? :)

L