Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Add ons Folder

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cascaruda
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Add ons Folder

Post by Cascaruda »

Sorry guys if this is a basic question, but I have just discovered this
new version of the old ELITE, and I was a great Fan of the original.

My congratulations to all who resurrected this Classic and am now
involved in "starting all over again" and enjoying every minute.

Now to the question, I want to download some OXPs and am told they need to go into the "Add on" folder, looking in my file folder, I do not have an Add on folder, do I just add it myself ???, or is it there somewhere and I can't see it.

I'm running XP.

Regards Tom
every time I think, I think, I think a thought
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Re: Add ons Folder

Post by Svengali »

Hey Tom, welcome onboard.
Cascaruda wrote:
Now to the question, I want to download some OXPs and am told they need to go into the "Add on" folder, looking in my file folder, I do not have an Add on folder, do I just add it myself ???, or is it there somewhere and I can't see it.
The game creates this folder on first start. Hope you've downloaded v1.73.4 (much better than v1.65) even if it's marked as 'test-version'.

After that you should see this folder (one level up from oolite.exe).

Have fun
Cascaruda
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Cascaruda »

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Many thanks, now found it.

Told you I was a bit senile didn't I :roll: :roll:

Thanks again Tom :D
Cascaruda
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Cascaruda »

Right, I think I'm getting back into the basic game a little now, so my next
question, of the many oxp's out there, which order should I start with,
simplest first, and which will be too difficult for a newbie.

Thanks Tom
matthewfarmery
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by matthewfarmery »

I would try realist shipyards

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Realistic_Shipyards

Lestradae first (maybe?) at bring a lot of mods from different authors together, I tried it myself for a while, (pretty new here myself) that extension is stable, it adds a lot of extensions and a lot of ships, it does make the game a little more challenging but its a nice one to play, not had any issues with it, Im in the process of helping to beta test RS successor OSE (Oolite Shipyards Extension) but I would give that a miss for now unless you like bug hunting :D

but RS is fine, that's my recommendation :D
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Hi Cascaruda.

An oft asked question.
Try here for a few ideas: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=6783
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

matthewfarmery wrote:
I would try realist shipyards

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Realistic_Shipyards

Lestradae first (maybe?) at bring a lot of mods from different authors together, I tried it myself for a while, (pretty new here myself) that extension is stable, it adds a lot of extensions and a lot of ships, it does make the game a little more challenging but its a nice one to play, not had any issues with it, Im in the process of helping to beta test RS successor OSE (Oolite Shipyards Extension) but I would give that a miss for now unless you like bug hunting :D

but RS is fine, that's my recommendation :D
Bear in mind that you need a LOT of RAM to run RS.. if I recall, around 3 GB is recommended..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Bear in mind that you need a LOT of RAM to run RS.. if I recall, around 3 GB is recommended..
Not any longer - OOlite did use up heavy memory for flashers. OSE includes ships which do use many flashers, a single of these ships did take around 300MB to be seen. That bug in oolite has been fixed!

I often see Oolite with OSE take around 600MB and the highest I've yet seen was 1.1GB when I did make a test run with 2000 entities in a system!

Screet
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

@RS RAM usage: Yup, what Screet says!

RS now needs only around 1GB RAM to run properly, and its beta-tested successor OSE should be fine around 2.5GB.

All hail Ahruman, the great memory leakage exterminator! (for the Doctor Who fans :mrgreen:)

Cheers

L
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Screet wrote:
Not any longer - OOlite did use up heavy memory for flashers. OSE includes ships which do use many flashers, a single of these ships did take around 300MB to be seen. That bug in oolite has been fixed!
No. Not yet in any released version. It will be in 1.74, though.

It's fine that you are playing with trunk. But when answering questions here on the boards, please be aware which of the features of your own modified version of Oolite are actually available for other people.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Screet wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Just to clarify - this wasn't a bug. There was no associated memory leak or otherwise and the feature (flashers) worked as intended. However, reducing the amount of memory they require was a very significant optimisation/improvement of the existing codebase.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

What McLane says. I stand corrected: It's true. For 1.74 Oolite, when it's released, the memory consumption will be down.

@Micha:

If you classify something that eats up 100 times the memory nescessary and can lead to one ship to need 300MB (!) of RAM usage as a bug or not, is yours to decide. I must beg to differ on this one, though, not that it matters.

8)

L
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: ..

Post by another_commander »

Lestradae wrote:
@Micha:

If you classify something that eats up 100 times the memory nescessary and can lead to one ship to need 300MB (!) of RAM usage as a bug or not, is yours to decide. I must beg to differ on this one, though, not that it matters.

8)

L
It's not a bug. Plus, you also need to define what is considered "necessary". Fixing this was an optimization of resources utilization and a very welcome one at that.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

I'm not complaining for sure, more like rather gratefully congratulating you guys for the ongoing further-development of this game! :D

Hope that's clear as :wink:

L