Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Game Crash

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

And an update to the latest version of fuel station will get rid of the last warning too.
Commander Learner
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Commander Learner »

Right ho! thanks a lot for the help, this is truly the friendliest side of........ :wink:
Shooting polygons since 2001
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Oh, and by the way, Commander Learner: you can enclose your log-file either in <quote></quote> or <code></code>-tags (use square brackets instead, or the handy buttons on top of your typing window). This makes them much more readable (at least for me) and less space-consuming.
Commander Learner
Dangerous
Dangerous

Sorry but I don't really see how correcting the Hyperradio script prevents a game crash. Anyway, I updated to 1.73.4 and the game still crashes for apparently NO reason. I just downloaded it and tested it, no alterings. SERIOUSLY AT WIT'S END.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Commander Learner wrote:
Sorry but I don't really see how correcting the Hyperradio script prevents a game crash. Anyway, I updated to 1.73.4 and the game still crashes for apparently NO reason. I just downloaded it and tested it, no alterings. SERIOUSLY AT WIT'S END.
First, you need to run without any OXPs and see if it still crashes. This step is required. The next step is to either correct all OXPs producing errors, or take them out of the equation by removing them from AddOns. When you have a log that is clear of errors, then and only then, will we be able to troubleshoot the crashes - if they are still happening - properly. It is entirely possible that a script error may be messing the core code in a way that was not predicted, so it is important to not have any external factors or errors affecting the results of testing.

Additionally, the log you posted is from a game that has run and closed properly. We will need preferably a log immediately after a crash.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Commander Learner wrote:
The hyperradio script might or might not be connected with the crash. The advice you've been given by Svengali, however, was just to get the hyperradio itself to work properly.

There's some 'noise' in the log you posted, and the advice you got was to help reduce all the non-fatal errors. Once you've done that, it would be much easier for us to zoom in onto what actually causes your Oolite to crash.

To expand on what another_commander said above, some times 2 perfectly well behaved OXPs clash in a manner that neither the oxp makers nor the developers actually expected. 99% of the time this doesn't cause any problems, but that remaining 1% will cause crashes or extremely odd behaviour. When that happens, it gives us a possibility to fix Oolite, and / or add new functions to Oolite.

The best - and fairly slow - way to help us help you, is if you start with 0 oxp, and see if the crash happens.
If not, add 1 oxp at a time until the crash happens again, then send us the log for the game that crashed. Knowing which Oxp makes the difference between crash & not crash will be of tremendous help! The last oxp itself might not be the one that's causing the clash, but it might do so in combination with one of the others, so we also need to know all the oxp you've got running when it all goes wrong. If you've got 100 oxps, trying to find out what's happening is close to impossible. If you crash with just 1 or 2 oxps installed, then our chances to find out exactly what happens are greatly improved.

If the ship you're flying in the 'crashy' save game is from an oxp, you'll have to have that one oxp installed to begin with. The 'add one oxp at a time then see if it crashes' bit applies all the same, though...

If Oolite crashes without any oxp installed then it should be even easier for us to find out what happened!

Hope this clarifies a few things that most of us old forum bods are already taking for granted... :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Commander Learner
Dangerous
Dangerous

Alright Kaks. Will report back in 60 years time. :wink:
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

A slightly quicker way is to re-add half your OXPs, if you crash then remove half of the list you just added, if you don't crash then add half of the remainder. Repeat until you find one that causes a crash if installed and not if it isn't.

It's essentially the same technique, but slightly more efficient.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Thargoid wrote:
A slightly quicker way is to re-add half your OXPs, if you crash then remove half of the list you just added, if you don't crash then add half of the remainder. Repeat until you find one that causes a crash if installed and not if it isn't.

It's essentially the same technique, but slightly more efficient.
Actually, it’s much more efficient – O(log n) instead of O(n). :-)
Commander Learner
Dangerous
Dangerous

Found out why the game crashes at Beoninon, removed all OXPs and went there, it was the Nova mission, must have clashed with something else. That's just half the story though, the game still crashes at mysterious moments, even when docked!
Commander Learner
Dangerous
Dangerous

BTW, the Galactic Navy OXP has a tiny bug. When you do an intergalactic jump, you still have that previous navy mission (in the previous galaxy) so you won't be able to take another navy mission in your present galaxy.

I will try putting all the OXPs back 5 by 5, since the 'Beoninon case' is solved. :wink: