a simple question of numbers

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

a simple question of numbers

Post by phonebook »

hello everyone again- i'm sure this has been done to death, but it would be nice to know

when i add ships - say like the oldships, does oolite create the same-ish number of ships for the system, but increase the veriety, or will i see more actual ships?
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

It just increases the variety, but it's a bit of a complex thing: if you've already got 3 different types of traders, adding a new ship with a weighted role of trader(1) will give it a 1 in 4 chance to appear. For a 50/50 chance you'd need to have trader(3). This assumes that the other 3 traders have got a (1) probability each.

Of course, The more trader ships you have, the more complex the situation! ;)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

However, this raises the question of whether or not Oolite should dynamically increase (or decrease) the number of ships in a system depending on your machine's RAM/CPU (and possibly system stats).
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Micha wrote:
However, this raises the question of whether or not Oolite should dynamically increase (or decrease) the number of ships in a system depending on your machine's RAM/CPU (and possibly system stats).
Answer: no, it shouldn’t.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

No way man, it would make it unplayable on Roadrunner!
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: a simple question of numbers

Post by Eric Walch »

phonebook wrote:
hello everyone again- i'm sure this has been done to death, but it would be nice to know

when i add ships - say like the oldships, does oolite create the same-ish number of ships for the system, but increase the veriety, or will i see more actual ships?
Answer is: it depends... :roll:

95% of the ships added as replacement ships. They don't increase the number but only the variation.
5% of the ships are added as extra. Those oxp's contain special addition scripts.

Somehow it should be mentioned in a readme to what category an oxp belongs. Special the second group you can better not install on low end computers. For example: "transports, commies and dictators" do add extra ships.