OrionArm Space Demo v2.0

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

another_commander wrote:
Based on download statistics for 1.72.2 from our official distribution site, the user base accross platforms, in broad, quick-look terms, is as follows:
Mac: 10.62%
Windows: 73.57%
Linux: 15.80%
On the other hand, oolite.org traffic for the last month was 61.62% Windows, 22.63% Macs, 14.92% Linux (with a slight bias towards Windows because of two spikes from Windows-specific gaming sites). I wonder how many 1.65 players are out there…
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Ahruman wrote:
I wonder how many 1.65 players are out there…
I think there are still many. Oolite-PC (the now-obsolete project on Berlios, which points to our current oolite-linux project), was listed as one of the most active on Berlios last week and had approx. 6000 downloads in one day. This means that whenever Oolite is mentioned on the net, people end up downloading 1.65 by default.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Guys, couldn't it be that it is time to call it a day and promote the "1.73" version to be the new Oolite standard version?

It being more stable than 1.65 and most oxps already written for much higher versions and it having tons of new features and all?

Just saying :wink:

L

Edit: When 1.73 comes out as no-longer-trunk, obviously, that is. I meant.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

another_commander wrote:
Ahruman wrote:
I wonder how many 1.65 players are out there…
I think there are still many. Oolite-PC (the now-obsolete project on Berlios, which points to our current oolite-linux project), was listed as one of the most active on Berlios last week and had approx. 6000 downloads in one day.
Its site also doesn’t redirect or refer to oolite.org. I tried a couple of times to contact Giles and dajt about fixing that, but no luck. My e-mails to dajt have always bounced, even when he was active…
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

the DX) render keeps crashing my screen driver, it does however look like it should... (vista restores it though since it is DX, something it cannot with OpenGL)

OpenGL 1024*768, everything is messed up, looks like old time overheated Graphics card rendering... however the card isn't even stressed :-)..

its at 50 degrees or something...

I'm on vista 32 bit, using DX 10, but my card is only DX 9 able, and AGP ATI 2600 XT with the latest ATI driver..
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
GlobalExplorer
Above Average
Above Average

Post by GlobalExplorer »

Thanks for reporting back.

Looks like it has problems with Vista then. I should have said that I compiled and tested with XP. And on two different XP systems I never have any crashes or anything.

But I have optimized this for quality. Maybe my system is too fast (E8400 and 1GB graphics card) and I need to test on something older!!

What I can say is that this version needs a lot of texture memory (using 4k textures for all objects). but with 256 or 512 MB you should be fine and otherwise fps are very high (200-400 with VSync disabled and SHADOWTYPE_TEXTURE_MODULATIVE). A much lighter version with 2k textures is in the works.

Some stuff I have been doing lately, mostly new moons:

Image Image
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

That's pretty.

But it's pc only... :(
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

That looks suspiciously like Europa... which gives me another several ideas for OXPs, from 2010: Odyssey II. (It's 2010 next year... unbelievable. How did that happen?)
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Well last year was 2008, and the year before that was 2007, and next year, following the logical procession of numbers, will be 2010. :D
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

The real question is, will we make contact?
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

?

Post by Lestradae »

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Cmdr James wrote:
The real question is, will we make contact?
I'd say it's unlikely, as we already missed the Space Odyssey a couple of years back. :roll:

Oh, and as for the screenshots: Yes, they're pretty, but for a planets an moons which are supposed to be in a different system to ours, they all look too familiar.

Oh, and for those of you who are not on a Windoze: Don't complain, install Celestia! :D
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

Just read one book by Aldiss, Non Stop, and even that only half. Didn't think it had a very good plot.
[nods] I get a bit bogged down in Aldiss books too sometimes!

For the asteroid belt / Oort cloud, how about something swarm related? I'm not sure Latin or Greek had collective nouns, so how about:

Effervit (Latin "they swarmed") but it's very likely I've conjugated incorrectly there. :-)

Or "melissaon" = bees, "muaion" = flies in Greek... which would give you a theme too for individual bodies, if you used names of flies. You could then call miners "swatters." :-)

"Swarm" seem to be translated as "ethnos" which is a tribe, not a swarm...
GlobalExplorer
Above Average
Above Average

Post by GlobalExplorer »

Commander McLane wrote:
for a planets an moons which are supposed to be in a different system to ours, they all look too familiar.
Hm, how should they look then?
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by zevans »

I'd say it's unlikely, as we already missed the Space Odyssey a couple of years back. :roll:
And we've never been at war with Eurasia OR Eastasia!
Oh, and as for the screenshots: Yes, they're pretty, but for a planets an moons which are supposed to be in a different system to ours, they all look too familiar.
But how could they look any other way? Different systems, but same geophysics and astrophysics...