Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Opinions on Oolite Setup

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Capt. Slog
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Capt. Slog »

another_commander wrote:
This is Vista's security features you are witnessing. You can avoid this kind of thing by simply installing Oolite in a folder other than C:\Program Files or any system folder. Then everything will behave as stated earlier.
Just thought I'd point it out for any newcomers reading. Might be useful if the installer defaulted to C:\oolite, for example. :)
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

My gaming rig does not and will never be infected by the likes of Vista, or 7 for that matter. I'm on a no-crap diet. :evil: 98SE or XP is the gamer's weapons of choice.

That said, I installed to C:/Games/Oolite. I install all games to C:/Games.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
darkone
Average
Average

Post by darkone »

I installed to the default area and installed OXPs without issue and started playing. Man I have been spoiled with the mouse controls of most recent sim games :) But took me one death to dock successfully.

But here is a small write up I started on my site: http://www.spacesimcentral.com/open-sou ... -t332.html

Feel free to criticize or give advice. But overall had a nice time with Oolite and will be spending some quality time with it over the next few weeks as I keep updating this thread with my experiences. I know I am going to make to map that screenshot function because I missed some good ones with that shift-8 combo :)

Thanks for all the help.

-D1-
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

darkone wrote:
Man I have been spoiled with the mouse controls of most recent sim games :) But took me one death to dock successfully.
If you are spoiled with mouse control, then you will be glad to know that mouse control in Oolite is toggled if you are on fullscreen and press Shift+M.

I think it would be a good idea to clarify a bit better that although the initial graphics are simplistic, the game engine is fully capable of delivering modern day graphics. Some screenshots from the upcoming release could be useful there.
darkone
Average
Average

Post by darkone »

Is there a specific thread for the upcoming release screenshots I could use? I took screenshots of my gameplay only. And thanks for the tip on mouse control. ;)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

darkone wrote:
Is there a specific thread for the upcoming release screenshots I could use? I took screenshots of my gameplay only. And thanks for the tip on mouse control. ;)
The Screenshots thread comes to mind... start here and work your way back.. that way you'll begin with the most recent pics.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

darkone wrote:
Is there a specific thread for the upcoming release screenshots I could use?
Oops! How could I forget the Ruining the classics thread? You gotta take a look at that!
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

and a whole set of stylish new and re-imagined classic ships here:
Simon's RFC: Fancy classics thread - https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=5490
all done by one guy! pretty amazing stuff!