Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Ruining the classics (screenshot heavy thread)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I've done a bit of investigating, i think it's caused by the way i've got the oxp set up - all the kraits reference 1 of 5 different templates, the subentities are only listed in the template version of the ship, i think this is causing the problem - if i copy the list of subentities from the template ship into each referenced ship they work ok, so i wonder if there's a problem with like_shiping a template with a lot of subentites as even the broken ships have about 3 subentites that rotate OK, (the first 3 or so in the list) the rest of them don't rotate, is this a bug in oolite or a bug in the confusing way i've written out the shipdata.plist?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Griff wrote:
if i copy the list of subentities from the template ship into each referenced ship they work ok, so i wonder if there's a problem with like_shiping a template with a lot of subentites as even the broken ships have about 3 subentites that rotate OK, (the first 3 or so in the list) the rest of them don't rotate, is this a bug in oolite or a bug in the confusing way i've written out the shipdata.plist?
This sounds like a trunk build without the latest updates. The like_ship resolving was done later than the classification of subentities until shortly ago. That did cause the Caduceus turrets, which were using like_ship, to be disabled and even garble the side views...

Screet
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Hmmm, it sounds reasonable to expect all the subentities to survive being like_shipped... stay tuned, we'll see what we can find!
Edit: as Screet just mentioned, yesterday's new code ( provided by Screet himself ) should have improved the subentites handling. Griff, do let us know if the problems are gone with the newest build! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I just updated to Oolite v1.73 - Apr 19 2009 and i'm still seeing the problem, the good news is though that i think it's a fault with my oxp and not oolite
it looks like the griff_krait_beamlaser_l & griff_krait_beamlaser_r subentites don't rotate with the parent ship and they also stop the rotation of any other subentites listed after them for some reason

the griff_krait_pulselaser_l & griff_krait_pulselaser_r subentites and the griff_krait_chrome_militarylaser_l & griff_krait_chrome_militarylaser_r are working fine though, rotating quite happily with the parent ship. I'll have a look into why the beam_laser variants are not working - it's a bit puzzling - they the same model & texture files as the other laser subentites so it must be something i've written in the config file
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Ah, i found out what was wrong, one of the beamlaser subentites had a setup_action initialise_turret in it for some reason, it must have been a copy and paste error i made when writing out the shipdata.plist. I've fixed the oxp and re-uploaded it to the same download link
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Normal Mapped 'Adder' remake

Because of all the normal mapping in the shaders, this oxp will only work properly with the build-it-yourself trunk version of Oolite (Oolite v1.73)

grab the ship here: http://www.box.net/shared/v3ghsifzlq (2.61 MB)
I've tested it and i think it works OK :)
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

wow that looks really nice. you've captured the cheap and chunky look of the adder perfectly. I could tell what ship it was straight away.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

i decided to make it like a cross between an armoured car and a transit van :lol:
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

what's the poly count on it?
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Griff wrote:
Normal Mapped 'Adder' remake

Because of all the normal mapping in the shaders, this oxp will only work properly with the build-it-yourself trunk version of Oolite (Oolite v1.73)

grab the ship here: http://www.box.net/shared/v3ghsifzlq (2.61 MB)
I've tested it and i think it works OK :)

I love it! I really do! It's just so "functional" - exactly what the adder should be like!!!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

ramon wrote:
what's the poly count on it?
rather high:
439 Verts
694 Polygons
2 1024x1024 texture maps (Diffuse & normal)
1 512x512 texture map (effects map for all the lights & glows)
1 512x128 decal map (same as the griff_cobraIII - i should really make some new ones!)
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Griff wrote:
i decided to make it like a cross between an armoured car and a transit van :lol:
...what a sublime choice! Excellent! That is a really nice model, I can't help but agree that it captures the Adder perfectly. 8)
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

normal mapped 'Sidewinder'
A sidewinder scout ship redone in the same chunky style as the others, this oxp is for the Trunk version (v1.73) of Oolite and won't work properly with the current test version
http://www.box.net/shared/q9pk50dcv9 (about 2Mb)
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

:shock: 8) :shock: :lol: 8) :shock: :D 8)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
:shock: 8) :shock: :lol: 8) :shock: :D 8)
Couldn't have put it better myself! DH, your eloquence knows no bounds! :D
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied