Top list of OXPs?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

pleb87 wrote:
l wish i could make use of shaders... I have an Athlon XP 1.7Ghz with 749Mb RAM and a Geforce MX 64mb card... But it still runs Oolite ok. Cant wait till I get my new gaming system, then Oolite will look phat!
Be sure to stay with nVidia, I've seen those ATI troubles on PC with OpenGL, it's really annoying!

Screet
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Screet wrote:
pleb87 wrote:
l wish i could make use of shaders... I have an Athlon XP 1.7Ghz with 749Mb RAM and a Geforce MX 64mb card... But it still runs Oolite ok. Cant wait till I get my new gaming system, then Oolite will look phat!
Be sure to stay with nVidia, I've seen those ATI troubles on PC with OpenGL, it's really annoying!

Screet
Even an AGP GF6200 would give a huge performance boost over the 64MB GF4(??) MX - and you can pick 'em up for about £18 for a 128MB version! (I've got a XP 1700+ with a 128MB GF4 Ti4800 Platinum and 1GB RAM and it plays just fine)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
overmage
Deadly
Deadly

Post by overmage »

I got a new laptop, with a 3dmark06 score of 6300. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 with dedicated 1Gb VRAM. It runs Oolite smooth as a hitch all maxed settings, except that I'm getting that ATI issue - ugly blue squares! D:

If you are going to upgrade, get Nvidia. *prays 1.73 will finish soon and save him from blue square hell*
pleb87
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by pleb87 »

Lol thanks dont worry i have my eyes on something, lol nice and affordable. Shame Oolite cant be ported to the PS3, those shaders would look great with the power of the mighty cell processor in 1080p HD lol :lol:
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

tomo pauk wrote:
Okay, but what about the neolite stuff?
I run the neolite set on an acer 4315 laptop - the HW is about 6 years old now.

Intel celeron mobile and half a gig ram, i965 graphics.

There are hesitations with shaders. It is very playable on minimum.
The neolite models have between 4-800 triangles, so you need a recent version of oolite.

I run with full shaders on a custom desktop... all intel again. This one is a X4300 core2 duo and i945 graphics + 1gig ram.

I just uploaded new oxps - they are a hefty download, sorry.

The point though, is not so much self-advertising ;) as I don't see it as my project (though you'll need heavy firepower to get me out of the driving seat). It's more encouraging others to contribute... that needs advertising.
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
"Everything is perfect down to every last flaw..."
HBT: The Book of Verse - Principia Discordia
Paranoid Android
Average
Average

Post by Paranoid Android »

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a bizarre problem with the neolite companions oxp? (at least, I think it was this oxp) After one or two witchspace jumps, all the neolite ships (including the companion ones) turn green, as do the space stations. Now, I have to say my bright green Cobra Mk III does look rather dashing, maybe a little o.t.t. , but when every other ship I see has the same paint job it does get a little tedious. Hmm.
Also, having got the oxps for the Globe, Torus and Transhab stations, I have yet to see any... :?

Anyone been having any similar problems? Here's a screenie of my green Cobra Mk III (Neolite version) docking with a green Coriolis Station with a tad of texture on the front surface:

Image[/img]
You have no idea how bad my magnetic face is these days...
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Paranoid Android wrote:
Anyone been having any similar problems?
I had similar behaviour as a result from ATI drivers mulfunctioning. All things turning black, white or being shown with the same texture. It typically happened after a few minutes of flying. The longer I did fly, the more likely it was for that problem to arise.

Since I switched to nVidia, all those problems are gone.

I doubt that it was an oxp that messed up your ooniverse!

Screet
Paranoid Android
Average
Average

I'm already using an nVidia graphics card. These problems have only arisen since installing the neolite oxps, and the green effect only happens on stations, and the ships update in those oxps; ships I've added from other oxps remain unchanged... :?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Paranoid Android wrote:
I'm already using an nVidia graphics card. These problems have only arisen since installing the neolite oxps, and the green effect only happens on stations, and the ships update in those oxps; ships I've added from other oxps remain unchanged... :?
Hmm. If ALL things would show the same bug, I'd expect your driver having a similar fault then mine, even though it's a different vendor. However, since you write that it's only those ships, it's really strange.

Has the neolite companion been updated recently? I did download it quite some time ago and did not have such results. I've also been flying around with the updated neolite oxp, but not for really long times as somehow oolite did crash "out of memory" with only 800 megs in use quite frequently.

Maybe one of the graphics gods has an idea? I could imagine a damaged file resulting in this problem...

Screet
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Damaged shader file? (Flips on the Griff-Beacon)
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Image[/img][/quote]

Ah the Tom_Clancy.oxp

Easy to download, but you have to sleep with one eye open as long as it's on your hard drive. I'll send lillys.
Paranoid Android
Average
Average

Would nightvision still be called nightvision in space? Hmm... :roll:
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
Damaged shader file? (Flips on the Griff-Beacon)
You mean this?

Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

:D I do love that griff beacon! It should definately have more rainclouds in it though if it's shining in the sky over Wales, we haven't had a sunset like that since 1976!
That does look like a shader error, turning all the ships green, probably just a tiny error in one of the fragment shaders, if i remember correctly Simons written all the shaders in his oxp without the help of a shader development program which is amazingly hardcore l33t skillz!
I'll pop the shaders into rendermonkey and see what it has to say.
edit:
Well, rendermonkey was completely happy with the shader, and with my rather weak shader debugging skills i can't see what's causing the problem - the only thing i can think of it that's it's the specular effect - maybe the specular is completely wiping out the texture map.
to test this, try opening the 'neolite-std.fs' file in a text editor, then scroll down to line 97

Code: Select all

specular = mix(specular * SpecularRGB, specular * colorMap, 0.0); // Adds the Specular Effect
and change it slightly so it looks like this,

specular = mix(specular * SpecularRGB, colorMap, 0.5); // Adds the Specular Effect 
save the file, then restart oolite whilst (very important!) holding down the shift key untill the spinning cobra appears (this makes oolite forget about it's cached oxp files and reloaded them in again afresh)

That line is basically mixing in the specular hightlight colour and the original texture map colour, the 0.0 at the end of it is the percentage of the mix - at 0.0 it's basically saying 100% of specular * SpecularRGB, and 0% of specular * colorMap
the 0.5 i suggested mixes 50% of of the specular effect and 50% of the colour texture map, try that see if it makes the green go away or at least makes it fainter.
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

I've seen that.

That comes from a mistake translating the openstep format shader entry into xml - and tells me that you are not using the current edition, because I fixed it. Price of early adoption.

The discussion thread tells of it, breifly.

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=74928#74928
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=74960#74960

to fix - there is a bit in shipdata.plist which looks like:

<key>shaders</key>
      <dict>
         <key>shipname-neolite-default.png</key>
         <dict>
            <key>fragment_shader</key>
            <string>neolite-std.fs</string>
            <key>vertex_shader</key>
            <string>neolite-std-vs</string>
            <key>textures</key>
            <array>
               <string>shipname-neolite-default.png</string>
               <string>shipname-neolite-effectsmap.png</string>
               <string>shipname-neolite-normalmap.png</string>
            </array>
            <key>uniforms</key>
            <dict>
               <key>uColorMap</key>
               <dict>
                  <key>type</key>
                  <string>texture</string>
                  <key>value</key>
                  <integer>0</integer> <---<<<
               </dict>
               <key>uFXMap</key>
               <dict>
                  <key>type</key>
                  <string>texture</string>
                  <key>value</key>
                  <integer>1</integer> <---<<<
               </dict>
               <key>uTime</key>
               <string>universalTime</string>
               <key>uEngineLevel</key>
               <string>speedFactor</string>
               <key>uHullHeatLevel</key>
               <string>hullHeatLevel</string>
            </dict>
         </dict>
      </dict> 
... notice the integer part with the arrows?? Your numbers are 1 and 2 - they should be 0 and 1.

Basically, oolite seems to count from 1 in openstep and 0 in xml. So the companion is loading the second map for colors and the third for effects. However, the second map is for effects...
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
"Everything is perfect down to every last flaw..."
HBT: The Book of Verse - Principia Discordia