Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Realistic Shipyards problem

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Lysander
Competent
Competent

Ships and Realistic Shipyards

Post by Lysander »

Hmm! Started a debate here amongst you guys who really know what you are at!! All above my poor non PC skull! However, for other less able players, I have reverted to printing out the full ship list available on ships under the OXP link and loaded a few I like the look of, with the tight price range, load capacity and speed. They now appear happily in my own space and are available to buy at higher tech level stations without RS. probably better for the illiterate player than hacking about and carving existing OXPs apart.

I must admit, as a rookie, when I loaded the full RS latest version, my direct path to space stations began to look like the MI on a Friday evening, added to which, of course, my RAM at 250mb was under powered and not performing anyway.

For those at my level, who want a new ship, try it my way, you get what you want pro tem and can play happily on a lower grade RAM if you are not up to full power at the moment.

Perhaps a better guide for beginners which expands the tips for playing would reduce the endlessly repetitive 'how do I' questions from beginners like me. Sorry about that guys.

Keep it up you experts who keep developing all these goodies!

Lysander
The Spartans are coming! Witch (this) space
horse
Average
Average

Post by horse »

On similar lines, I just installed the RS pack and I think the concept is great.

I just wish I could `trim' the number of ships. I don' really want the frontier or starwars ships in my ooniverse, but RS has forced it upon me.

Would it be possible to add a feature to `turn off' some of the ship sets?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

horse wrote:
I just wish I could `trim' the number of ships. I don' really want the frontier or starwars ships in my ooniverse, but RS has forced it upon me.

Would it be possible to add a feature to `turn off' some of the ship sets?
Currently, you would have to remove them from the plist file, I suppose. If you know the names of the ships you dislike, that should be easy. Didn't try it myself.

Lestradae and I have been discussing such an option, maybe there will be such a feature for OSE, but that would require a bit of programming (in order to create a plist file matching the desired effect instead of having one or a few pre-selected plist files). If it comes, it'll probably take some time before it's in.

Screet
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Screet wrote:
Lestradae and I have been discussing such an option, maybe there will be such a feature for OSE, but that would require a bit of programming
I would add in that if Screet & me get this to work there will be such a feature - which would enable not only to take out (or put back in!) RS/OSE ships of specific sets or somesuch, but also ships beyond/below certain speeds, cargo capacities, weapons bays, etc. ... you name it.

But it's a bit down the horrifyingly looming to-do list atm, and we'll see if it can be done when the OSE WiP arrives there.
horse
Average
Average

Post by horse »

OK, cool, I'll have a play with the plist file (after making a backup).

Would it effect the balancing of the ships/cost? I mean, am I going to create a big availability gap by taking a bunch of ships out?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

horse wrote:
Would it effect the balancing of the ships/cost? I mean, am I going to create a big availability gap by taking a bunch of ships out?
Depends on how much (and into which direction) you edit the file! You can, for example, also change the ships power. I like RS/OSE because it does add tougher opponents for me, but I doubt that you would break anything if you do something like taking TV-like ships out of the package.

You may be removing one of the RS easter eggs by removing ships, but I doubt that it would hurt your game experience and there are some people who even disliked that this easter egg had been placed in there ;)

Screet
horse
Average
Average

Post by horse »

Screet, I'm a bit confused (not uncommon). Which file should I be editing?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

horse wrote:
Screet, I'm a bit confused (not uncommon). Which file should I be editing?
In the config folder of RS there is a file called "shipdata.plist". If you remove ships which a player could use, it's probably best to also edit "shipyard.plist".

If you use Windows Vista be careful! If Oolite is installed to program files instead of C:\oolite or C:\games\oolite, you suffer from virtualization (a somewhat annoying concept of securing data): the attempt to edit any files in that folder will create a copy of that file in your users hidden "VirtualStore" which overrides the original, but does not update it and it also won't be deleted when you uninstall or update oolite or RS. This can cause some trouble, which is why I repeat this again and again when the topic comes up. Please excuse me if you've read it a dozen times already ;)

Screet