Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

RFC: Fancy classics

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

Cargopod needs a logo!

Here's a 15-ton configuration.

It also explains why passenger berths take up 5 tons of space... see the red in the middle.
"All is for the best in this best of all possible worlds..."
Dr.Pangloss, Voltaire's 'Candide'.

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

But you can fit six tons in that space.
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

Was just about to say the same thing. You could fit one additional container in the middle.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

SimonB wrote:
Well - following the neolite doctrine, we'd need to imagine that the shape of the model is somehow representative of the way the actual cargo pod looks.
So it could be something that looks roughly similar but fits together a little better? Well how about a house shape?
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

Sarin wrote:
Was just about to say the same thing. You could fit one additional container in the middle.
You COULD... but then the Cargopod arms wouldn't be able to get a grip on the cannister in the middle.

And if that was the one you wanted to eject, you can't!

The standard could be cargo storage areas with recessed areas in the floor for the pentagon pods, so the pods are stable when the ship is moving about. And Cargopod's design is the same as their logo. Sure, it's not the most efficient use of space... but have you seen the amount of space in a box of breakfast cereal?!?

Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

Here's the standard 75 ton configuration with 71 tons in it.

If you have passenger berths, two of the canisters can be moved slightly to the side to allow access to their area (for pilot's use only... the entry is at the bottom of the image. The passengers never actually leave the passenger berth). And there's spare room if you need to store an escape capsule or four (two at the sides, one at the top, and one in the entryway at the bottom).

Ships with 150 tons of space simply have a double decker arrangement with two Cargopod systems.

ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Pangloss wrote:

Ships with 150 tons of space simply have a double decker arrangement with two Cargopod systems.
I do remember someone at some point doing a 3d render of lots of different ways cargo pods might be able to fit together. I've lost the thread though.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Pangloss wrote:
You COULD... but then the Cargopod arms wouldn't be able to get a grip on the cannister in the middle.
I agree that magnetic arms would not work, but how about air pressure? Wouldn't it be possible to get a grip well enough just by reducing air pressure within the arm once it's attached to the upside of the pod? I'm not sure about that idea as the weight to lift would be one ton...but it would ease things and allow better usage of the space available ;)

Screet
aceshigh
Competent
Competent

Post by aceshigh »

I wonder why nobody tried recreating the models and textures following the boxart of the Elite Dark Wheel...

I mean, this coverart clearly shows the ships are supposed to be SEXY AND CURVY... and that obviously, the pointy low poly designs was because of cpu limitation.

also, I quite like the clear, whiteish hightech textures of this art... sorta like the space station and the spaceplane on the movie 2001...

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

In part someone did, at least the Cobra paint-job...
aceshigh
Competent
Competent

Post by aceshigh »

Thargoid wrote:
looks brighter/whiter in the coverart...
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

aceshigh wrote:
Thargoid wrote:
looks brighter/whiter in the coverart...
That's because the cover art ship is in direct 'sunlight', while the DWCobra is sat in a dock. The colours are almost identical otherwise.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Ballturret problem

Post by Screet »

Hi,

I've found a bug I've noticed but not tried to track down for some weeks. Turned out to be easy ;)

The neolite.oxp has an entry for the ballturret. In that entry, it tries to update the common ballturret with

Code: Select all

model = "neo-ball-turret.dat";
This model does not come with the neolite.oxp. As a result, all ships which should have ballturrets cannot be created.

An easy workaround is to remove the whole ballturret-entry from shipdata.plist in neolite.oxp.

Screet
Last edited by Screet on Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aceshigh
Competent
Competent

Post by aceshigh »

do anyone knows where I can find the texture of the station hangar? I am using the Gritty Coriolis Station.

It has a bluish weird looking hangar. I opened the texture pack to try to change it, but the texture pack of the Gritty Coriolis station apparently did not have any hangar textures, only the external textures... am I missing something?
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

aceshigh wrote:
I mean, this coverart clearly shows the ships are supposed to be SEXY AND CURVY... and that obviously, the pointy low poly designs was because of cpu limitation.
This is probably a better picture of the old DWCobra I did:

But you're right it doesn't have the curves the Dark Wheel cover suggests the ships have. I did actually start work on a 'curvy' version, but since Elite has been around for a few years now, the 'blocky' Cobra has kind of become iconic. (I still might come back to the curvy cobra, but at the moment I'm (still) working on my Anaconda and Asp)